Thread: Dragon Questions (total n00b)

LarianLeQuella

Default Dragon Questions (total n00b)

Hail, I am but a foundling of a hatchling, and I am in desperate need of guidance. I have no broodmates, not parents to teach me of things, so I am just accidentally figuring things out as I stumble about the world. Any help is most appreciated.

1.) Are there any Dragon guilds on Order that are recruiting?

2.) Where can a level 1 dragon go to hunt, and where do I go to hunt things as I progress? How long does it take to make levels in this game? Is there any such thing as power leveling (i.e. an older and wiser dragon showing me the ropes)?

3.) Is there any documentation (aside from the two excellent sticky threads here) on how to be a dragon?

4.) What level grants flight, and then how do you actually use your keyboard to fly?

5.) What's this talk I hear about hoards?

6.) Can dragons gather stuff? I try but I keep on getting told I don't have the tools. I take it that is because I have claws?

7.) I am an adventurer. What should I trian in as I progress (assuming I figure that out)?

8.) Is there anything I can do for all of you? I am a Team Lead for DAoC, and I write for IMGS/Prima and GamersInfo.net and I think you all have a wonderful game here!

Ugh, I know I am forgetting a bunch of questions I had, but I'm sure they will come to me as I go along. See you in our lands.

Astroth

Default Re: Dragon Questions (total n00b)

1) Not sure, from Blight.

2) Try the newbie islands, New Brommel is the most popular for newbies. As you progress keep following the monster trail, it goes up to about lvl 15 monsters. From there you should move to Kion and start exploring the area around town. It can take 10 minutes or a week to level. All on how much you hunt. Level 2 requires 200exp, while at my current level (81) 760,000. But then again, monsters give more at higher levels. Power Leveling = bad!!! In this game, power leveling isn't a more experienced player showing the younger player the ropes, instead it is where they let you stay with them and do absolutely nothing, while you get a lot of exp and know crap on how to play.

3)Look around. Not everything gets stickied you know.

4)No level, instead a quest called Rite of Passage. For Lunus (like a dragon warrior, uses mainly melee) you need level 30 Adv, 20 craft, and 250k hoard (see below). For Helian (dragon crafter, uses spells mainly) same as Lunus. ((Those are the STARTING reqs only btw))

5) Hoard is... well, like a dragon's stash of goodies. Those goodies have hv (hoard value) and the higher the hoard, the more armor and dragon breathe you get. Butalso depending on your level. Also there are 'hoard abilities' that use hoard to be executed, and are stronger than other abilities. A side note: Don't complain if you have problems getting this up, I have been here sicne release, and for the beginning time, it used to decay a ton every few minutes.

6) We don't use tools, instead we have abilities figure them out. For example: Quarrying is to gather stone. Press "C" and then abilities, then click Craft.

7) Only one Dragon Adv class, if thats what you mean, you can craft+adv at same time. ;)

8) No thx!

Azuroth

I'm an officer for a pretty good guild on Order, Champions of Honor. You would be welcome to join up with us, just check out http://championsohonor.net We aren't a dragon only guild, but I'm the dragon officer :)

2) Newbie islands (new Brommel, vasserak, and the other two) are great places up until level 10. I found that if I really ground it out, I could get a solo level every two hours up until about level 50. Grouping tends to be faster.

3) nothing official, but there are lots of nice threads about it

4) Passing the RoP grants flight, your jump key takes off, and the descent key makes you descend and land. Mouselook is the easiest way to fly though.

5) Hoards, great piles of shining treasure. Currently its a rather broken system, due to be overhauled......some day...... But basically you hoard as many constructed items as you can, for some armor and extra breath damage.

6) In your character screen, under abilities, in the craft section, you will have a set of crafting skills, quarry gathers rock type resources, mining gathers metal, essence harvesting gets essence...

7) Depends on your play style. If you want melee damage, put your points into tooth and claw, if you want spell damage, put them in primal (not a bad idea anyway, your base primal determines which spells you can cast). I personally put half into hp, enough into primal to keep my base at 10 * my level, and the rest in tooth and claw.

8) Just tell people about your time here, let people know it's a fun game, spread the word :)

Also, you can always /tell me in game, join the Marketplace, or Dragon channels in game for any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella
    8.) Is there anything I can do for all of you? I am a Team Lead for DAoC, and I write for IMGS/Prima and GamersInfo.net and I think you all have a wonderful game here!
    You could prove to be of great use to HZ as a writer, but it is best to ask someone "official" from Tulga as to how to proceed in this regard.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in-game, too. Almost everyone I encountered early was extremely supportive and tolerant. I don't imagine things are very much different now.

Use General for most questions, but if it's empty, then don't be afraid to use MarketPlace. Sometimes a question will get lost in a flurry of chatter, but more often than not, generic questions get answered there.

There are also dragon chat channels for race specific issues.

Just on the topic of hoard as I see it wasn't mentioned. Certain items drop in game that have a hoard value. Some items can also be created that have a hoard value.

If you wish to hoard an item right click on and select the option that says "Add to hoard" (from memory), A screen will be displayed that shows you the hoard value of the item with a button at the bottom that you can click on to hoard it. Some items that drop that can be hoarded include trophies, crystals (mostly in beginner isles), hoard loot (brass bells, urns etc).

What does the hoard do for you?
    It increases your armour by 4 each hoard level see this thread for info on hoard levels. It also add's to breath damage.

Hoard can also be consumed by using hoard abilities such as silver strike, gold rage and shield of gold..although the later is often avoided.

Unlike a biped character you will need to talk to your trainers every 10 levels (10,20,30..etc) and recieve "quests" (quoted because they are not worthy of the title) for some ability additions and upgrades. Your trainers of various skills and abilities are located in Dralk and Chinconis.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Hail, I am but a foundling of a hatchling, and I am in desperate need of guidance. I have no broodmates, not parents to teach me of things, so I am just accidentally figuring things out as I stumble about the world. Any help is most appreciated.

1.) Are there any Dragon guilds on Order that are recruiting?
    I'd suggest Erus Ex Istaria (mixed guild with lots of dragons) andKeir Chet k'Eilerten (dragon only RP guild). Look for Maltavorn (Erus) and the chat channel KCEfriends or the KCE site - http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...mp;TabID=86891

2.) Where can a level 1 dragon go to hunt, and where do I go to hunt things as I progress? How long does it take to make levels in this game? Is there any such thing as power leveling (i.e. an older and wiser dragon showing me the ropes)?
    Well, the starter island (New Brommel) is good until about level 10, but Istaria is split into tiered towns - so next would be Kion / Sslanis.

Leveling is as fast as you want it to be, generally. Can solo or modest group to earn levels or group and be powered through levels at certain areas. With trophy items, sheriff tasks, trainer tasks, the lower levels can go by quickly.

Yes, older and wiser dragons can aid, and is needed on trainer tasks to complete them (or wait a few levels). The more the level difference, the faster the tasks can be completed. Is best to talk in Dragon chat or "face to face" in game.

Aside from your view of power leveling, there are ways to rapidly level . . . . but is your option of how to enjoy the playing experience.

3.) Is there any documentation (aside from the two excellent sticky threads here) on how to be a dragon?
    I'd read the lore - on the official site, the Lore section of these forums have dragon lore. Complete the Trials of the Gifted - Test of Knowledge. Horizons has the potential for great RP immersion due to its rich lore, is good to seek it.

4.) What level grants flight, and then how do you actually use your keyboard to fly?
    The hatchling RoP to adult grants the power of flight. The starting requirements are generally level 30 adventurer, level 30 crafting (Lunus)/40 (Helian), 250,000 hoard. However, the tasks are VERY challenging at level 30. To effectively contribute to the fighting, it is best to gain more experience. And, currently, there is a nice advantage to waiting to level 50.

Yes, nice keyboard controls - rise, lower, turn, turn-rise or lower.

5.) What's this talk I hear about hoards?
    Is best to ask in game. Certain items are of value to a dragon, dragons derive some of their power from their hoard (dragon damage and some of their innate armor). It is like the third class of the dragon - hoarder.

6.) Can dragons gather stuff? I try but I keep on getting told I don't have the tools. I take it that is because I have claws?
    Abilities have to be activated to gather stuff and craft items. Easier to explain when another dragon shows you in game (drag Abilities from Character - Abilities to hotkey bar).

7.) I am an adventurer. What should I trian in as I progress (assuming I figure that out)?
    There is only one class, but dragons can be generally more oriented toward melee or spells in fighting style (scales and training points) or balanced (swap scales and halve training points - Primal and Tooth and Claw). The faction bonuses do give a minute benefit.

I'd suggest e-mailing Chris Tat [email protected] (check their website). Tulga Games may be hiring also.

A quest formatting system is being worked on. Players will be able to use that to submit quests to TulgAE for possible inclusion. So is another reason to learnIstarian lore.

Perhapsseek an interview with Chris Tfor GamersInfo.net. He is the Owner of Tulga Games.

Ugh, I know I am forgetting a bunch of questions I had, but I'm sure they will come to me as I go along. See you in our lands.
    Enjoy and ask around. A very helpful crowd. Don't rush through the content, for some gaps are being filled with quests and such.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

1.) Erus Ex Istaria is a mostly Dragon-oriented guild, but we are not exclusively Dragons. Keir Chet k'Eilerten is an all-Dragon Roleplay guild, if you are looking for such.

2.) I would suggest staying on the newbie islands (New Brommel, New Trismus, New Koraelia, New Vassarak) until you are at least L10, then go to Kion /Sslanis to continue. On the newbie islands, just follow the signs to the monsters. In Kion/Sslanis, just head towards the interior of the island and you will find plenty to challenge you. Dragons are a little more difficult to level, but you should advance a few levels a week, depending on how often you play. Yes, there are guilds who will powerlevel you, but many on Order are loathe to do so, as it is a Roleplay shard, and powerlevelling is often stigmatized there. However, "showing you the ropes" does not require powerlevelling. Just join a good guild and you will get all the help you need.

3.) Not really. The best thing is to interact with Elder dragon players in Roleplay; that is about the best way to learn.

4.) Well, flight is not granted at a specific level, but through an epic quest, which does have some minimum requirements to begin. It is called the Rite of Passage, and you will have to be L30 adventurer/ L20 crafter and have 250,000 hoard to start on it. However, you will have to be a little higher level to finish it, depending on the path you take. you will also need assistance to complete it, unless you wait until you are very high level before you take it. Flying is accomplished the same as running, except that, once you are adult, the jump key becomes the "fly up" key, and there is a "fly down" key. you can't side-slip in flight, but can turn or bank.

5.) Hoard is a pool of energy we use to augment our powers. You increase the size of the pool by adding certain items to it. You do this by right-clicking the item in your inventory and selecting "Add to Hoard" or dragging/dropping an item onto the hoard picture in your equipment window. You current hoard size is listed in the equipment window below the picture, which will occasionally change and get fancier as it grows. Your hoard gives you more armor, and is used to power certain special attacks, as well as increase your breath weapon damage. Hoard generally tends to be modest in its benefits until you attain a significant amount of it, and higher-level skills.

6.) Yes. We don't use tools. All of our crafting is done with our claws, using abilities that we "activate". The first thing you need to do is open a blank set of hotkeys and open your character window to the abilities tab, crafting page. Find all the Dragon (Quarrying/Mining/Stoneworking/Smelting/etc) I abilities, which use purplish-pink icons and drag them to your hotkey bar buttons. Then, when you want to use them to harvest/refine/finish, just press the corresponding button for the ability you want to activate.

7.) Dragons don't have a lot of training options, as we have only one adventure class. You do get "training points" that you can spend on skills, but I would wait a few levels and let them accumulate before you decide what to spend them on. You don't have to spend them at all to be effective in combat, as they provide modest bonuses to skills.

8.) Play the game and learn all you can. As time goes on, I'm sure something will occur to you, or maybe someone will ask for something that you might like to take on.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

LarianLeQuella

Thank you all for the most excellent replies. I feel that I am learning the ways of my race already, and I am just slumbering. :)

LarianLeQuella

So far I have only done DAoC books for them. I am freelance and get subcontracted by IMGS, who in turn is subcontracted by Prima. I don't actually work for them in that way, so go ahead and slam Prima all you want. [6] If you must know, I actually work for the United States Air Force as my real job, but that's a diffeerent story. ;)

If you must know, I actually work for the United States Air Force as my real job, but that's a diffeerent story. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    YES! I am not the only one! Seems like everyone in my squadron is playing WoW.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

LarianLeQuella

Quote Originally Posted by Denrath
    YES! I am not the only one! Seems like everyone in my squadron is playing WoW.
    Ugh. Where ye at? I'm at Eglin.

Eglin? You got it better than me. Barksdale. The armpit of the United States.

LarianLeQuella

Quote Originally Posted by Denrath
    Eglin? You got it better than me. Barksdale. The armpit of the United States.
    OUCH! Well, you do have the riverboats and cajun cooking. One of my old boom operators had his first assignment to Barksdale.

Dark Drake

i have a question..
    i got told i can take a quest for crafting when i reach level ten. and now im lvl 10 but i cant figure out where i got to go to start it... do i start it at the same place as normal quests?

Dralk and Chiconis both have the questS for crafting once you reace crafting 10. You have to look around a little more for them though as maybe only 1 or 2 will be on the floating islands with the other trainers. I think there is a mining, quarrying, scalecrafting, gemworking, essence harvesting, and essence refining trainer. Like the other trainers, they are split between the towns.

Dark Drake

thanx

Thread Information