Reposted from Discussions - Dragon Gender.

Those who would seek have sought the ancient texts and found naught.

The gods have spoken, and their words are unclear.

It is clear that once did drakes grow as others did and become greater as others did, for the tale of the Avatar speaks of this ending. Now, they do so no more. Thus it is that strange rites and rituals must be made for a drake's wings to be born and stranger yet for the Ancient to come.

But younglings are. And thus they also must come. How so? It would seem most strange that they were made as younglings are made for other races, then ceased to be as other races. But Istaria is a strange place.

( Wanders briefly OOC - not something Sephie's avatar likes doing, but there you are...

If there is no answer, then make up your own. If there is no canon, then you can't get shot at. I designed a history for Sephie long before game start, as many have I am sure. Since then it has evolved. And thus I came up with my own explanation of drake gender. Guess what? It's _mine_. You can share it if you like, but this is RP, so if I come across a drake or a biped that doesn't look at things the same way... OK. We'll work it out. There are those involved in Sephie's RP ( greetings Chioxin, Dorrin, Nirl, Chiptus, Araxto, Bori, Arirabeth, Taen, my lady who is no more, many others)who don't agree with the manner of gender and birth outside that context, but inside we pretend we agree. It works....

So for those who are interested, how may a neuter, artificially matured through magery drake have gender? Let us see...)

The Avatar was no more. And the world of draku was changed. Drakonin and Drakonel were not, yet the race could not die. And thus it was The Five did speak together. For the Five were DawnBreaker Swiftwing, a mighty crafter of those who seek magery. And once a drakonel she had been. Varkad of the Seven Claws, a warrior of that gathering, drakonis who was. Kuldar RockBurner of the mages who do seek war, a drakonis of great wisdom and some say cruelty, Karis DoomFarer, once high warrior drakonel of those who would bind the other races. And one more. Sulkar Mirror Eye. Who some thought drakonis and some thought drakonel and who spoke of what it was to none.

These Five did come together. And long did they quest, and strange the winds they flew and many a tongue they had not heard did they come to speak. And after such questing, a mighty magery did they make. And this was the Shattered Stone.

The Hatchling Tale doth tell more of the Stone that is Shattered, and many have heard it. But this is so. Even as a drake makes a form that it shall have wings, there is a thing it may make that is of many stones. And for the first time, did The Five do this thing. And the Star Dance they did make, all together, where the air itself doth die and the stars live in the very day. In the winds of power that blow there, did they dance together. And each lent a part of their spirit to each stone of the many each had. And then they fell.

Down and down they fell, in a falling echoed by many draku since then. And the land waited to greet them, and the land waited to break them. But broken they were not. For a mighty pool of the rock that bleeds did also wait. A pool that flowed with the Primal and that had a depth none had plumbed. And, that this thing might be, to that place they did give themselves. And the stones also they gave. And in the pool did the Primal stir and mix the spirits that were given to the stones that nine were quite as another.

And of a time and a time, the pool did give forth that which had been given. And the younglings came forth. Each had much of those who had gone before, but was not quite as they were. And each had some measure of the drakonin, each of the drakonel, and each of that which was Sulkar. But in eachtotal spiritwas one part more than those others. Thus they would walk as drakonin or drakonel or as Sulkar had and be a mystery.

And, for they had been told and only they, there did the Clutch Mothers wait. Those who would care, and watch and guard. For MorDin had been cast from The Five to make Sulkar's place, and he became MorDin the Cursed, MorDin of the Single Stone. And a Clan he made....

And thus it is. An Ancient must make the Shattered Stone once more, or its spirit be lost to tomorrow. But those not Ancient, but who may learn and make the Star Dance, may make Stones and blend their spirits, that tomorrow may greet them with open arms. And younglings are, and adults come and Ancients will be.

And if it puzzles other races how those who are draku have younglings among them.... then so let it be. Bipeds do many things that puzzle draku. The perpetual fall that is walking is most strange... Two legs? As has been said, Istaria is a place of strangeness... Let draku be strange. We fail to understand ourselves, else sundered we would not be. If those others fail to understand also.... It is a proper thing.