Vetro_Stormwind

Default 100% CPU usage

Can someone Explain to me why after all this time does this happen,

System. spec's

2.2 AMD pro
    512 ram
    5.1 sound

run Windows Xp with SP2.

my system just kick's up dust and throws this game to the recycle bin.

Help !

Firesight

Default Re: 100% CPU usage

this game has always used 100% CPU. I would get another 512 Ram if you have the dough to throw in it.

Illias

Dunno how your are on up keep of your system, but you should first look at all the possibilities. Checking for Spyware and Adware will cause your computer to have alot of problems

Illias

Meant to say you should check to see if you have any.....Spyware andAdwarecan cause problems

Firesight

Download the program Ad-Aware. The best spyware/adware killer there is. Ill give you a link.

http://www.lavasoft.de <----Go there to get Ad-Aware.

High amounts of RAM will not change CPU usage, and in fact only having *low* RAM will do anything to it (and that will just cause the CPU to idle a lot more waiting for data).

So while having low RAM will hose your performance, it isn't maxing CPU usage. Just the opposite.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Like most games of this kind, they all max out the cpu.
    Aegis BlightMaker, Gnome of the First Order

visiting times vari

also spybot is a great tool to get rid of ad ware

is you surf the web it is a must to run adware, spy bot and a virus scan once a week, if you want to keep your machine healthy. are machine when hook to the net are constly being attack by anyhting and every thing

yeah - if you want to keep your machine healthy never hook it up to the internet
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Garden Gnome - Order
    Impure Mage lvl 52 / Enchanter 45 / Spellcrafter 42 / Mason 23
    ( Last of the Forgotten )
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    (99.6% html free signature)
    Nicolas de Chamfort : "Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."

that is very TRue that is why if you are in heavy computer work like my teacher is he has a few comptuers a few are his surfing machines and ones that never hook to the internet at all

hehe my teacher is very smart he teaches hacking,networking and lots of others

Firesight

Umm, you guys missed my point, another 512 of RAM will absolutely help gameplay from just 512, I never said it would use less CPU %. Also, I stated as before, this game always uses maximum CPU.

/end SNAP

Games tend to use maximum CPU all the time no matter what. If they manage to finish everything they need to do they just run at faster fps.

yep game loves to hog the cpu and then it leaking into memory doesnt help game play ethier

I never get above 50%. Even a pentium 2.6 pc I was playing on didn't get much above it.

Being logged to the internet shouldn't make any trouble. just be careful what you install and what the sites you go in to are trying to install.
    And using different computers for surfing/work is just being paranoid imo.

Malaficeint

Padishar....you are wrong, sorry, but if you go to just about any site out there, there is the potential for spyware on your system.

The previous site listed is incorrect for adaware.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/is the correct one.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.htmlis for Spybot search and destroy.

Evard

No matter what game you run albiet EQ, AO, DAoC or Horizons, they all run CPU at 100%, this is mainly due to the constant updating of data whether it be cached or live incomng. even if you stand in one spot you will get connstant updates.

Adding more memory will only improve the overall performance of the machine but does nothing for CPU utilization.

ACOLYTE

Not every game uses 100% CPU usage. Getting more RAM would help overall play and I think it's because of the memory leak still why this game goes nuts on your CPU. [:S]

What brand/model video card are you running? I can't believe nobody has asked this already. It doesn't matter how much system memory you have or the frequency of your CPU if you're running horrible integrated Intel video or some first-generation DX7-class GPU.

100% CPU usage isn't anything unless you're pulling 100% while idling (and not running some cycle-caching program like Folding @ Home or SETI). There's practically always room for more frames per second, even though I think Horizons hard-locks at 80 tops.

As for more memory, I played with 512 megabytes for a very long time. If it wasn't for the progressive memory leaking I wouldn't have needed any more. Even with a gig I still grind to the 10-15 or below range after a few hours on a Radeon 9700 Pro.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Warzen

Based on current technology. If your computer's CPUran at 100% from the second it came off the line, until the day it died. It would be an averageof 22 years and almost 10 months old. That is about 200,000 hours.

Guydon

Any time you have to use virtual memory, the cpu has to control the swapping of chunks of data (that it has computed to be the least used) to the hard disk, as hard diskstransfer data approxiamately 100 times slower thanRAM, this will result in a dramatic hitto performance. Also, the more little bitsof data that are being swapped, the harder the cpu works to recalculate the chances of a bit of data being needed, thus the 100% cpu utilization, and why moreRAM will help not only performance, but alsocpu utilization.

Thread Information