Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: protesting the removal of /dwm and /dfm

Default Re: protesting the removal of /dwm and /dfm

Let me add a few thoughts here as well.

However useful or fun setscale is...

It can indeed be used to exploit the game, to climb mountains, reach areas your not meant to reach, get into areas that your not meant to get into like the AROP cave, or even redwalled plots or structures.

Setscale requires you to edit a def file, something most players don't know about and would be reluctant to do. And not as many use this command as it may seem. Most players don't know how to do it at all.

Setscale is not required to loot mobs that have fallen on top of each other. It may make it easier, but is not required. You can wait or just switch camera angle till you can select the mob.

However useful /dwm is...

It does defeat the exploration aspect of the game, and gives players an unfair advantage.

Remember the abandoned island portal? How long do you think it took to actually find it? 24 hours? 48? ... try two weeks:

<AamerKhan|ChaosHerald> is the abandoned island supposed to be live david?
    <David-Spawn> Aamer: the Abandoned Island has been live for two weeks.
    <AamerKhan|ChaosHerald> ahhh cool then finding it is ok
    <David-Spawn> Aamer: did you find the travel gate, or did you fly?
    <Thorgat_EU> what is the abandoned island? not one of the both north?
    <AamerKhan|ChaosHerald> by gate
    <David-Spawn> cool, that makes you the first without inside knowledge

It was found without /dwm. It was way more of an accomplishment to stumble across it than just use xray vision to see it through the mountains.

/dwm is NOT needed to loot mobs that have fallen under the ground or other structure. Just mouse scroll out to max view distance in 3rd person view and click the spot where the mob fell... and you can loot the mob.

I will freely admit that wire mode makes collecting clays much easier. However, I have not been using it for over a week and have had no slowdowns in collecting clay or looting mobs.

So, useful yes, required No.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

"Manga

Players will no longer be able to use the /setscale and /dwm or /dwf commands. Will we be monitoring this change to see how this effects gameplay mechanics.
    "

How will you be able to monitor the fact that I can't loot a mob because its fallen under the terrain? It happens a lot! Thanks guys, real considerate of you.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Kwinn where have you been? That is how things always work. A few bad apples ruin it for everyone else. Such as life.

Personally, I have never used setscale, dwm, dwf. I don't have to many situations whereI can't loot something. And if I do and it takes a little work to loot I usually find that the creature didnt have anything on it to begin with.

I will gladly give up a few loots to know that the exploting was not available.

This wouldn't be so evident if the peopleexploiting the system werent running around flaunting it in front of everyone and there mother.

Jayne

As another note (haven't tried this) just reporting what I was told
    I guess a dragon landing on a redwalled plot (on top) then logging out, and logging in will end up inside the red wall?

Perhaps they have to be Khutit form to do this.

(this is something I was told, and not 100% sure on and I haven't tried this).
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

I have never seen a named mob fall under the ground or through a crack...

really, you have?
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Marrek

Here are my 2 protests to the removal of these commands ( all 3 of them) until dragon lairs are out and we can make crafting stations we can use full size ( because in biped form we loose stats) we are taking a hit not being able to set scale on ourselves and use Jman and master crafting stations.

The other problem is on top of the towers ( and i mean the very tippy top) there are ancients that we need to talk to for our final capacity quest. You cant see them from the top my ledge and unless you know thier names you cant use /select. So those dragons NPCs need to be pulled down from the roof of the towers and set on the upper most floors for that set of quests.

After those 2 things are fixed the others are right. We can "live" without the use of those commands but it wint be as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrek
    Here are my 2 protests to the removal of these commands ( all 3 of them) until dragon lairs are out and we can make crafting stations we can use full size ( because in biped form we loose stats) we are taking a hit not being able to set scale on ourselves and use Jman and master crafting stations.
    You can go to Khutit, go into the building, and then go back to full size.
    That way you keep your stats, then you can go back to get out.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Setscale requires you to edit a def file, something most players don't know about and would be reluctant to do. And not as many use this command as it may seem. Most players don't know how to do it at all.

I beg to differ here Aamer. I know many who do on Order. Maybe it's as widespread on Chaos but, then too, maybe it is.

Setscale is not required to loot mobs that have fallen on top of each other.

In a literal sense you are correct.

It may make it easier, but is not required. You can wait or just switch camera angle till you can select the mob.

Again, you are correct. However, waiting around, switching camera angles is not always an option. One could find oneself up to one's ying yang in mobs in some of the places one can hunt. It's shoot, move, shoot, move,kill, loot, move. Waiting around can be death.

As stated earlier, none of this would much on an issue if non-harvestable mobs despawned after looting like they used to. This corpse depawn delay thing that was put in for whatever reason(groups was it?) is nothing but a nuisance.

For those who would saythat not looting a mob is no big deal, I say this: One hunts for 2 reasons xp (theirs or to help someone else) and loot. If xp is the only goal then fine, looting is no big deal. If loot is a concern then looting a corpse must be possible and should NOT require jumping through hoops to accomplish.

Kwinn

Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    I have never seen a named mob fall under the ground or through a crack...

really, you have?
    I actually have had Smac Smac and the named ogre from that are both fall through the ground.

And to those who say "oh it fell oh well, can't reach it...life goes on." Sure that works if I'm just hunting for xp/fun/$$ but if I'm hunting for tech comps?!? I'm gonna check every mob I kill.

I need 16 red necro fly wings for my tier 4 scales. When, as far as I can tell, there is exactly 1 red necro fly in game, you're ******** right I try my best to loot it everytime I kill it.

Note: I have tried the switch to 3rd person zoom out approach...it works unless there are more mobs in your area, at which point, I at least, had a good chance of ending up dead.

David did announce that they're going to put in a command for selecting corpses and adjusting how some of the resources (at least 1 clay type was mentioned) which is a good sign.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

I'm a level 49/41 Dragon, and I dont recall ever having a mob drop through a floor. It might of happend once or twice, but nothing that stuck in my mind. Maybe this only happens to the uber high level stuff, but in my experiences, it's never happend. And as a Dragon, doing all ability quests as soon as possible, I see a lot of different kinds of mobs(not all of them, probably, but a lot nonetheless). And still no drop-throughs.

Anyways, my biggest use of dwm/dfm is the Blizzard near Mahagra. I hate the snowstorm so much.... Except for quests, I refuse to hunt in it. Even then I use wireframe. The mob selecting hotkeys will be nice when implimented, but I hate being in a total whiteout.

Indifferent to setscale. Can see the advantages, but understand the exploits too. They can have it.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

Depends upon where you fight, but I have had this happen quite a lot. It has happened with named critters too, there isn't special code that says 'If NamedCritter then DropThroughWorld := False'. It is a limitation of the engine, and until there is either a fix or a workaround, removing /dwm is a foul nerf.

I don't care if /dwm is removed after a loot fix is implemented, but until then when I am looting for quests, techs, or just because I deserve the spoils of war, I very much expect to be able to obtain my rewards. All of them, not just experience.

Would you do a quest and just say 'oh well, I can't get the quest item reward because the developers removed the workaround to a game bug. Better luck next time'? I highly doubt it. I expect a support ticket or a note here, or both. At the very least I bet you would gripe about it.

For me it is like a number of other folks here, just one more thing on the negetive side of the stay / leave scales. I am no where near leaving at the moment, mind you, but the Leave stones keep adding up. Eventually the scales will tip.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

I personally have never used setscale but have directed people to its use, as to machines as far as I know all machine in Jman shops are usable from the outside as well as the inside, I rarely go into shops to use the machines.

/dwm and /dfm I use occasionally if I am having touble looting a corspe but in most cases it's not hard to click a corpse under the terain, I will survive without it.

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

I've removed posts that amount to baiting, or enticing flames if you prefer. It's uncalled for, and there are plenty of ways to make a point without mocking the other forum visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    Depends upon where you fight, but I have had this happen quite a lot. It has happened with named critters too, there isn't special code that says 'If NamedCritter then DropThroughWorld := False'. It is a limitation of the engine, and until there is either a fix or a workaround, removing /dwm is a foul nerf.

I don't care if /dwm is removed after a loot fix is implemented, but until then when I am looting for quests, techs, or just because I deserve the spoils of war, I very much expect to be able to obtain my rewards. All of them, not just experience.

Would you do a quest and just say 'oh well, I can't get the quest item reward because the developers removed the workaround to a game bug. Better luck next time'? I highly doubt it. I expect a support ticket or a note here, or both. At the very least I bet you would gripe about it.

For me it is like a number of other folks here, just one more thing on the negetive side of the stay / leave scales. I am no where near leaving at the moment, mind you, but the Leave stones keep adding up. Eventually the scales will tip.
    here here!!!!!!
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Thread Information