Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good try ... hope it works.

Default Good try ... hope it works.

I'm sorry if this irritates anyone.

With the lack of something new to do, it was enevitable that even highlevel players would go after the emblem quest or saris stone. It has gotten so bad, that today Amon spawned a whole army of khars.

I can only assume that this was to quell the tide of high level players camping a lvl 16 skellie. I truly hope it works. To see level 100 players mass killing mobs that cant even damage them was sad. So I left and logged.

I have decided to stay clear of LA as Aamer, and only hunt there as a low level alt and delete any quest I got there as Aamer.

It's great what Amon has done there. To me today was not fun, or cool, or a challenge, or an accomplishment... it was sad.

I wish I knew a better answer than to suggest that the highlevels need some new project or threat to keep them busy. Even having an AOP type mob stolling into all the major towns would help keep us busy.

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Re: Good try ... hope it works.

*Agrees wholeheartedly*
    I am Dryad, here me squeak... I am KNoC, see me slay.
    Syllis SunFlower.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamer Khan
    I wish I knew a better answer than to suggest that the highlevels need some new project or threat to keep them busy. Even having an AOP type mob stolling into all the major towns would help keep us busy.
    Ah, so you, Aamer--and from your generalities the whole of the Chaos shard--need something to keep you "busy."

Have you finished the Lesser Aradoth mineshaft yet and know what's in it? Order finished it today.

Have you finished the Kion Saris Manor House and know what happens when it's complete? We're a third of the way through, but since you're not "busy" you must have finished it by now, so please tell us lowlifes on Order what happens when it's complete.

Oh, and have you, Aamer, finished the cedar treant quest on Lesser Aradoth? Please let us know what the unique reward was, won't you?

*goes back to working on the Saris Manor House*
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

you mean Aamer, right Tant?

PS What's the weather like up there on your high horse : )

Im sorry tant, We finished the saris manor a few days ago, one mine is finished, and almost ( if not already ) done on the other one.

All the Saris manor does is spawn Lady kendra there instead of the barracks house.

There are 2 nice rewards for quests on LA... if your a 1-20 level player go out and see for yourself.

but I won't reveal what the rewards are since there is no fun in having it all handed to you...

Thats part of what I was referring to in my first post ;)
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

remember those are crafter related.

There are two distinct and very different groups in Horizons. Those that like to craft and those that like to adventure.

Its the latter group that has nothing to do. Tulga adds stuff in slowly and that content gets gobbled up fast and then people are left fiddling their fingers again. What they need is the Withered Aegis in the form it was supposed to be at release. Not anchors not kwellen invasions that just lag up a town. But a force they can battle and to keep them busy. To give them a sense of purpose a reason for playing the game. Thats easy enough for us crafters but not so easy for them. As seen crafters alone cannot keep this game afloat so.....

But what do I know. I haven't a clue how to play the game ;).

Read between the lines and see Aamers reasoning. It makes sense if you can get past the message from a very un obvious source. But its probably not like Tulga doesn't already know this. But hey outta sight outta mind.....

It's not just adventurers. Actually, I think that high-level crafters working on those LA projects is just plain wrong.

Having the higher leveled people gobbling up the content aimed at lower level players -- be it crafting or adventuring -- is cheating them, and probably will drive some away.

After all, if we jump on all the sandstone and bronze and iron and finish it lickity split, what does that leave a newcomer to do to help a world project? If you're a Tier 5 crafter, go find something else to do and let the real newcomers accomplish something. I have no intention of working on any of those Lesser Aradoth projects for that very reason.

So go built your T6 pawnbroker and let the kids have there fun and a sense of accomplishment.

Brassandyn and Landowyn
    The Steelworks. Realm of Order

I agree fully. That is why I cheered it on, but contributed nothing. I too was hoping to give the lower level construction crafters some of the same fun we enjoyed.

Alas it was not to be.

*HINT*

The next project you give us TG, make it use up to T5 resources.

Hey! Here is an idea, put in the huge underground city model, place it at the big door at the deadpool. Then make it need up to t5 resources to rebuild, and make it rebuildable in stages, easy at first and harder as you get further in. Then, populate it with increasingly harder mobs the further in you get. At the bottom, in the big cage, place an imprisioned welger wizard. Once we free him, he recalls them and they become a freed race. Then they reclaim the city and 6 more months have passed. :[8-|]

Hey! Here is an idea, put in the huge underground city model, place it at the big door at the deadpool. Then make it need up to t5 resources to rebuild, and make it rebuildable in stages, easy at first and harder as you get further in. Then, populate it with increasingly harder mobs the further in you get. At the bottom, in the big cage, place an imprisioned welger wizard. Once we free him, he recalls them and they become a freed race. Then they reclaim the city and 6 more months have passed. :[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-15.gif[/img]
    heh, I LOVE it.

Btw, does starting a new char completely dedicated to community projects count as a newbie? :p
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Nice idea; if the underground city part is not feasible due to world model issues, then maybe a portal or autoportal to the Welger city would suffice.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

I'm sorry if this irritates anyone.

With the lack of something new to do, it was enevitable that even highlevel players would go after the emblem quest or saris stone. It has gotten so bad, that today Amon spawned a whole army of khars.

I can only assume that this was to quell the tide of high level players camping a lvl 16 skellie. I truly hope it works. To see level 100 players mass killing mobs that cant even damage them was sad. So I left and logged.

I have decided to stay clear of LA as Aamer, and only hunt there as a low level alt and delete any quest I got there as Aamer.

It's great what Amon has done there. To me today was not fun, or cool, or a challenge, or an accomplishment... it was sad.

I'm sorry you feel this way. For me, doing the quests wasn't about a "challenge" or "loot". It was about a new set of stories to hear.

Part of the reason I play Horizons is because there's a good story that I'm interested in following. I didn't go after the emblem because it's one more feather for my cap, I did the quest series because it was fun and a new part of the ever evolving story of Istaria.

And I'll continue to explore and do the quests, regardless of level or experience gained, because its part of the world.

I would think that if Tulga had wanted to limit the new content to low level players, they would have. They're more than capable of setting lower level limits on accessing quests and items, it should be just as easy to set a higher level limit.
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Oh, I agree with you Gliding that it is a fine addition to the evolving story.

I love how the Treant wants our help to free his enraged fellows from their torture.

I'm just getting sad from seeing highlevel players with nothing else to do but go after low level content. I guess until we get a new event to grab our attention, I'll just login Derwood and enjoy the content with a character that it was meant for.

I sure hope the saris stone and emblem is only attuned after its used... I plan to give mine away, so that I can enjoy the story and not make it about loot or exp.

Gliding, I really don't think Aamer or anyone else is asking for these quests to be restricted from higher levels. But to run by that stone circle and see 10+ high levels camping a single lowbie mob and monopolizing on the spawns there is truly sad. Even sadder is having to spawn a gajillion (okie, a bit overexaggurated but you get the picture) Khars to get rid of just some of those campers.

I *don't* think any player should be excluded from content if the content isn't restricted to class, race, or is for higher content. But that's part of the problem. I don't know of ANY quests that involve higher content like this sans the RoP, ARoP (which really aren't like this but do involve higher level content), and the Envenomed quests. but those are all race/class restricted.

The players are just starved for content like this, as Aamer points out, and rush to do it no matter their level. For the first weeks of something new like this going in it is a madhouse and having to perma camp a spot for a spawn doesn't help alleviate any stress or frustration involved. And I think that's the big issue here. If we had more of this (and I KNOW it is coming and I'm more than willing to be patient trust me but others are obviously not and want to do it as soon as they can) it *might* not be as big of an issue but only releasing a couple quests for only one level range of characters is stressing.

We just need something to do is all and I can guarantee that if we were given quests spread out across many level ranges players would be more apt to go after the quests within their own level range first than bottom feed. Make these quests last longer than a few minutes and you've got it made!

The guys at TG are doing an excellent job with these quests. I'm loving the lore as well and want to see LOTS more in the future. I just don't want to feel like I am playing EQ in order to take part in it. :(

Ya know, I helped beta test a lot of the LA content on Blight. When it went live, I completely ignored it. Why? Because I am not playing my low-level characters right now, and have no need to add to the silliness going on with the high-level characters.

I figure I will eventually go over there and do the quests, but not until all the high-levels have played it out, and as many of the newbies as possible have done so.

The content was for them. Us as well at some point, but the camping was just silly.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

I started a new char in part for the new LA content and in part because the grinding of my main was just so far beyond boring it wasn't funny.

I agree with Aamer that a high level event is/has been needed for some time hopefully there will be one soonish and not just something for crafters something both adventurers, crafters and dragons can enjoy as well as something for the middle levels.

I understand catering for the lower end especially with the recent promotions to attract more people and I know they are not ignoring the upper end as we have seen the addition of T5 rare items but some quests post level 20 for bipeds are needed.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Quote Originally Posted by gusi

Btw, does starting a new char completely dedicated to community projects count as a newbie? [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Only if you do a memory blank... a lobotomy should do the trick.
    Brassandyn and Landowyn

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn

...snip...

The players are just starved for content like this, as Aamer points out, and rush to do it no matter their level. For the first weeks of something new like this going in it is a madhouse and having to perma camp a spot for a spawn doesn't help alleviate any stress or frustration involved. And I think that's the big issue here. If we had more of this (and I KNOW it is coming and I'm more than willing to be patient trust me but others are obviously not and want to do it as soon as they can) it *might* not be as big of an issue but only releasing a couple quests for only one level range of characters is stressing.

...snip...
    The problem is that oft times somene onthe dev team sees all these high levels camping the spot or dominating the spawns, so they do something about. In many instances they nerf the reward so it's not appealing to the higher level characters, or they might change it to be level specific ... any number of things can happen. By overreacting to something new that the developers didn't see potential problems with -- or didn't envision the high-level invasion -- we force their hand, and they may do something we don't like. I've seen it before. In fact, I've DONE IT before.
    Brassandyn and Landowyn

Thalak

You hit it right on the head Snow.

This just goes to show you how starved folks are, especially at the "high" end of the game for content. I tried out the quest, but when I saw it was going to be a camp-fest for a lvl16 mob I left. There is nothing wrong with the folks wanting to complete the quest, and they sure as hell can't help it was designed for a sub lvl 20 character. This is the first in the line of (I hope) better quests. I don't know what to think about Amon spawning an army of Khars, but it had to alleviate the situation. I think the bottom line is that it shows that Tulga needs to roll out a lot more of these emblem quests, and soon, and over a multi level range, not just the low end.

I don't disagree at all with the notion that the devs need to implement new high level quests for high level players. What I do disagree with is the notion that high level players should be shut out from any quest or task, regardless of its level.

Personally, I love questing just for questing sake, irrespective of the level of the quest. The two new adventure quests on Lesser Aradoth not only provide new quest material, but have some interesting storylines to them, particularly the Lt. Vekh quest. Those of us who have stuck with Horizons since launch, through thick and thin, should have just as much right to run those quests as the brand new player.

Sure, some balance needs to be struck with the Lt. Khar and Lt. Vekh spawn rates. Since the rationale behind Khar's spawn rate is to lessen the possibility that he would be constantly slaying new players coming through the Kion east gate, perhaps a second Lt. Khar could spawn somewhere else on the isle, a goodly piece off the main road, with, say, a one-hour timer.

And as for the notion that high level crafters should keep their hands off constructing the new community structures on Lesser Aradoth and leave them to low level construction players--it's a nice thought, but impractical in my view. First off, there simply aren't that many new players interested in joining and working construction schools early on, as opposed to going out and adventuring. On Order this weekend I asked in MarketPlace for help in rebuilding the Kion manor house, and the only responses I got were from high level crafters. Indeed, all of the lowest level sandstone work on the house has been done by higher level crafters. There's plenty of sandstone left to do, but I've not seen one newer player add a single block or keystone--and I've been watching its progress every day.

Second, the manor house itself requires Tier II and III construction work which, in and of itself, demonstrates that it was never meant to be left solely to the hands of new players.

Similarly, the new mineshafts would take forever and a day for solely young players to rebuild. They're a long haul from the nearest town, Kion--especially so dragging a sandstone or slate disk behind you. Moreover, depending on whether you go east or west from Kion, you will invariably be aggroed by either forest crawlers and huntresses, or greymanes and Saris skeletons at least half the trek to the shaft. I seriously doubt that any level 20 or less player could survive that trip on anything approaching a regular basis.

So, I daresay that were the new construction projects left solely to the efforts of >level 20 players, it would be years before they are completed. And at least on Order, there's enough scaffolding around Istaria as it is.

New content, new tasks, should be enjoyed by all player levels, veteran and rookie alike.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

You possibly misunderstand what I mean so let me be a bit more direct.

I am NOT advocating preventing Highlevel players from any content. You are totally right that there is great storylines in the new quests and I think that Amon has done an awesome job, and I hope the rest of Istaria gets the exact same treatment.

What I was trying to point out was, that with nothing "new" to do but the LA quests, it was very sad to see 10 level 100 players camping a level 16 mob. I myself did the "kill 10 enraged treants" Wonderful concept about freeing these treants from their tortures. But, with me out there a newer player stand NO chance to work the quest till I am done. And after doing it I felt very foolish. These were designed for sub 20 players not me. If you feel ok with that, then fine. I don't.

And I also never said anything about newbie player being the ones to work the mine shafts, saris manor, or lighthouse. I fully expected that those below T5 would be the ones to do the work. Part of what brings us together and build community is working shoulder to shoulder on something that makes a difference. For me and other master craftsmen to jump in on these, means that they get done in a day or two and thus we rob newer ( levels 1- 40 ) from having the experiences we have all enjoyed. If anything we older players should give tips on how to proceed, what works well, and how to transport effeciently.

Thread Information