Thread: Rating Aggro Method

Mido

Default Rating Aggro Method

Greetings,
    I am a little dismayed at the recent changes made to aggro of the lowest rated player. Although changes are coming to alleviate some of the problems, maybe some input from players would be beneficial before the next round of changes are made.

I started playing Horizons in February of '05. Previously I played EQ for 5 years and dont miss it, however, it makes me wonder why I left a game where grouping/soloing/gameplay became so boring and tedious to a game that is trying to implement some of the same changes and kill any fun factor of grouping with friends or family established here in Horizons.

Instead of ratings, go by level. Example:
    Level 1-20, 21-40, 41-70, 71-100 could all group without a full barrage of getting snaked just because you are the lowest rated player.

Or, allow a limit of lower rated players to a group and penalize experience bonus of those players that do not meet the requirements of the average group rating. Sure experience is the key and not wanting to powerlevel a lvl 1 to 50 in 4 hours, but think about what you are doing to players when you strip them of grouping and hunting with FRIENDS.

I am sure there are a bunch of ways to calculate and implement some form of grouping where friends/family that have recently joined the game to have some fun and companionship without being left in the cold by hard line piss off the newbie tactics. Since the change, I have not grouped with anyone, nor soloed. Just crafted. This gets very boring and I hope some changed in the positive is forthcoming.

Not to mention with all the problems incurred from previous bankruptcy procedings, new corporate structure, and a desire to grow the game, how can you really expect people to even bother to stay and play the game if you eliminate the ability of a newbie, or new playersto group and have fun with friends or guildmates?

Please make some worthwhile changes to keep my interest.

Midotan
    51 BTLM

Dirtz

Default Re: Rating Aggro Method

Nicely put Mido! Have the Devs asked themselves what the social impacts would be when changing the aggro system? I like the idea of creating a range of levels where the group can hunt without having the lowest ranked getting mauled. I know since the latest patch ALL guild hunts have been canceled since we can no-longer accomodate the wide range of levels our members have with the relatively few members available.

Yes, that is exactly why I wish this change had not been made. It was done to satisfy a small but vocal group (who were offended by what they saw, but were not themselves actually harmed) and it was done without broad consultation or testing. An unfortunate reversion to the old blundering style of nerfing. And it forsakes Horizon's greatest asset, the community spirit.

Our guild, like many others is in the same situation.

It was a quick and expedient answer to a non-problem; but you simply cannot mess with the basics of the game mechanics casually and expect to get away with it.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata
    Yes, that is exactly why I wish this change had not been made. It was done to satisfy a small but vocal group (who were offended by what they saw, but were not themselves actually harmed)
    As we see many changes as of late.

and it was done without broad consultation or testing.
    Another common factor in changes.

An unfortunate reversion to the old blundering style of nerfing. And it forsakes Horizon's greatest asset, the community spirit.
    100% agreement.

Our guild, like many others is in the same situation.

It was a quick and expedient answer to a non-problem; but you simply cannot mess with the basics of the game mechanics casually and expect to get away with it.
    You can.
    You blame the players doing this.
    The vocal minority who can spend time getting the developer's ear will drive the "fixes".
    The time spent "fixing" this could have been spent fixing other "real bugs". (Not I am not implying order of fixes as per the warnings previously"). But this and the "XP cap" bug are to "slow the game down". i.e. new players will not cap as quickly.
    A shame really. How much development and planning were used doing this, when othe bugs could have een addressed.

But this has to do with the "vision" of the game. I for one am not sure what that is now.

Look here
    Q:

ARE ALL MONSTERS SIMPLY GOING TO ATTACK UNTIL SOMEONE DIES?

A:

No. Not all creatures will respond with a simple aggressive response. It will depend on the type and variety of the creature. While a Zombie might mindlessly pursue a selected victim until destroyed, other creatures have social instincts that will drive them to behave in greatly varying ways. A monster might see that he's vastly outnumbered and run to get some friends to help him out, or just plain run away from the fight. We want to support highly complicated AI behaviors, as well. We're hoping to have monster setting up ambushes using weaker monsters as bait, for example.
    From http://www.istaria.com/page.php?pg=faq&mid=Combat

Ultimately I guess it doesn't matter. They will listen to the group they want to listen to.

Me, I wished they sent out a questionaire to every player subscribed (and probably unsubscribed), and let each and every player cast a vote on what was important to them. Then listen and focus on the majority.
    -Digit Dryad
    Chaos

Thread Information