Thread: Dragon crafting sets.

Default Dragon crafting sets.

Can anyone here post all of their crafting sets here. Once I hit lvl 100 I'm going to be hunting techs to make as many sets of tier V crafting sets.

Default Re: Dragon crafting sets.

Should be kind of obvious as you are learning your crafting side.

I would think:

Strength basedStoneworking + Smelting + Scalecraft
    Power based Essence Harvesting + Essence Shaping + Spellcrafting
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

I got:
    gem crafting scales:
    1)power scales (quarrying & gemworking & str)

I'm just curious because sometimes I hear people have 6 crafting scales. I just wanted to see other good examples.[H] Also, this post can help other starting dragons out a bit.

Well, optimal would be:

Mining/Quarrying - Strength based with Mining, Quarrying, then Power

Metal- Strength based with Smelting, Scalecraft, Power
    Stone - Strength based with Stoneworking, Scalecraft, Dexterity

Gem - Power based with Gemworking, Dexterity, Focus

Essence - Power based Essence Harvesting, Essence Shaping, Focus

Spellcraft/Transmutation - Power based Spellcraft, Focus, Transmutation

Hmmm, very interesting.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Ronson

Given the rarity of tier IV and V craft techs, don't plan on making your set with them.[:)]

We have 10 crafts to worry about. If you're using tier III or IV scales, that's 5 obsidian scalesets in all:

Strength of Quarrying/Stoneworking
    Strength of Mining/Metalworking
    Power of Esence Harvesting/Shaping
    Power of Spellcraft/Transmutation
    Strength of Scalecraft/Gemworking

Gemworking doesn't really benefit from strength, I know. But your alternative is to make a 6th set just for it.

If you happen to have a full set of forms for strength and power marble scales, then you still need 4 sets unless you drop one of the techs. Personnaly, I'd drop transmutation, and end up with 3 Marble scalesets:

Strength of Quarrying/Stoneworking/Scalecraft
    Strength of Mining/Metalworking/Gemworking
    Power of Essence Harvesting/Shaping/Spellcraft.

I spentmyfirst 85levels of DCRA without mining/quarrying techs, and it's quite doable. But by the time you start to dig up marble and mithril, those techs do make a large difference, so it's worth it. What I'vedone is replace the mining/quarrying tech on the wings with Velocity.

imported_Silowyi

This should be the min-maxers dream:

http://dragonspires.org/scales.txt

This set it designed to get within 1 or 2 points of the max possible stat combination for techs on every scaleset, in as few scalesets as possible.

740 tech comps....ouch

but that *is* the best I guess, still.....ouch

Humble Helian 100/100 [link=http://www.11h.org/phpbb/portal.php]Eleventh Legion[/link]

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    Gathering:

Armor Scales with: Quarry/Mining/Essence Harvesting.

Processing:

Strength Scales with: Stoneworking/Smelting/Essence Shaping.

Scalecraft:

Strength Scales with: Scalecraft/Power.

Spellcraft:

Power Scales with: Spellcraft/Focus.

I ignore gems as there is only one item we use that requires them.
    Your processing set should have Strength scales with stoneworking/smelting/scalecraft
    and just take the place of the Scalecraft set. Putting power on a scalecrafting set is a waste of tech comps. 100 power = 1 Scalecrafting skill point (if i remember correctly. It was such a minor help as to be a waste)

Since essence workbenefits from power, not strength, move essence shaping to the spellcraft set. The Spellcraft set can be Power scales with spellcraft, essence shaping, and then either gemworking or transmutation (not much use for transmutation at the moment) or focus. In any event, for tier 5 scales the essence shaping should go on power scales.

This all assumes you are having tier5 scales made, with room for 3 techs.

My tier 4 set's(most of which I still use) are
    strength + scalecraft
    strength + mining + smelting (smelting +velocity on wings)
    strength + quarry + stoneworking (stoneworking + velocity on wings)
    power + ess shape + ess harvest (shaping + velocity on wings)
    power + gemworking + transmutation, even on the wings (this was made pre-merger when I did massive amounts of transmutation)
    power + spellcraft + focus

For transmutation and gemworking, i just get that old set outta the vault when I need to do any. which is rarely.

Tier 5 set recommendations:

Kumu's gathering set Mining/Quarrying/essence harvesting
    Use armor since most t5 recources are around nasty mobs. supplemental boosts to gathering can be easily accomplished using inexpensive reaper potions. even a tier 2 potion can have a siginificant impact for a dragon crafter in their 90's.

Strength +scalecraft +smelting +stoneworking

Power +spellcraft +essence shaping +focus(and/or)gemworking.Spellcraft is a more common t5 crafting activity, and triple t5 teching a spell adds 90 base spellcraft skill needed to make the spell. Focus is good for that. If gemworking turns out to play a part in laircrafting, them all gemworking for third tech would be best. (Yet to be determined, just a possibility)

Done! only 3 sets needed. Drawbacks to this layout, have to switch scales after gathering, before processing.And duringfights that interrupt gathering. Easy enough to do with a hotkey, but if you forget and do not pay attention, you could burn thru a load of mithril at 4 to 1 instead of 2 to 1.
    Gathering tier 5 scales should have Velocity and Speed both on the wings, (Insert your least favorite gathering resource for third techs). Moving from node to node benefits from both Velocity AND speed.

With shop bonuses working now, I (lvl 100/100)am optimal across the board in t5, using the old t4 sets I already had, supplemented with back and tail in tier5 scales with only t3 techs. High adventure level boosts the crafting stats.

Points to remember: Focus has just as much boost to spellcraft skill as power does. Essence shaping, essence harvesting, gemworking, and transmutation all benefit more from powerthan anything else. Scalecraft, smelting, stoneworking get only a minor increase from power,no increase from dexterity. I do not think any craft gets a boost from dexterity. The power boost to scalecraft is negligible.

Guaran

rooth

One thing I haven't heard discussed much is the impact of having multiple scalesets for one processing stream. It doesn't mean much for those who are at the max in the craft, but if crafting for XP, minimizing the number of extra scales you need for a given processing stream will help maximize your XP-rate-per trip. Carrying extra scales means reducing the number of resources you can process for each trip, which translates into less XP (a little), and making side-trips to the vault to swap scales means increasing the time-per-trip (a little). If you want to min/max your XP rate, you want as close to 10 scales as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    Since essence workbenefits from power, not strength, move essence shaping to the spellcraft set. The Spellcraft set can be Power scales with spellcraft, essence shaping, and then either gemworking or transmutation (not much use for transmutation at the moment) or focus. In any event, for tier 5 scales the essence shaping should go on power scales.
    How about Spellcrafter's Blessing for that 3rd tech on those Spellcraft/Essence scales? For those of you unfamiliar, it grants +6 to stoneworking, spellcraft, and essence shaping, and stacks with the other two techs. It's not a huge difference, but it could help reduce your overall scale count while maintaining optimal scores, and give you more space for other stuff (in vault or inventory).

I do not think any craft gets a boost from dexterity.
    Gemworking does, I think. And what Kumu said was mostly correct, until recently -- the only thing we needed gemworking for was for making claws, leveling (there's a gap at some point where t3 & t4 gemworking was the way to go for me, for about 30 levels or so, though the huge crowd around the obsidian fields at the time was partly what made gemworking better), or making $$ (and there are probably better ways to do that, 'specially with the latest PB changes). But gemworking is now needed as part of the laircrafting tree. Granted, we won't need to worry about being optimal in it for some time, but ...

Need gems for scale packs as well but definitely not a high processing item used for levelling.

I'm surprised that everyone seems to have sets dedicated to gathering anda second set up for processing. My setup has always been dedicated to what I'm working on. So I have a set for working stone which is gathering and processing and a different set for metal. I think I'd go mental if I had to switch sets between loads or even between diskfuls.

I have three craft sets:
    #1 Stoneworking/scalecraft: Marble str with Quarrying, Stoneworking, Scalecraft.
    #2 Metalworking: Marble str with Mining, Smelting
    #3 Spellcrafting: Marble pwr with Spellcrafters blessing, essence gathering and shaping.

I think I'm going to need two more sets for lairshaping.

That's worked for me for a long long time and I don't have a ton of scales to keep track of.

Strength: Scalecraft, Smelting, Mining
    Strength: Scalecraft, Stoneworking, Quarrying
    Power: Spellcraft, Essence Shaping, Essence Harvesting
    Power: Gemworking, Quarrying, Strength
    Power: Transmutation (can't remember the rest; this is an old T4 set that I hardly use anymore)
    Focus: Crystalworking, Gemworking, Quarrying
    Strength: Lairshaping, Smelting, Mining

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by rooth
    One thing I haven't heard discussed much is the impact of having multiple scalesets for one processing stream. It doesn't mean much for those who are at the max in the craft, but if crafting for XP, minimizing the number of extra scales you need for a given processing stream will help maximize your XP-rate-per trip. Carrying extra scales means reducing the number of resources you can process for each trip, which translates into less XP (a little), and making side-trips to the vault to swap scales means increasing the time-per-trip (a little). If you want to min/max your XP rate, you want as close to 10 scales as possible.
    Good points. And I made that post quite awhile back. My actual sets are close to what Pharcellus listed. They work well in a processing stream like you mentioned.

Strength: Scalecraft,Smelting, Mining (great for leveling DRCA or grinding out hoard/coin)
    Power: Spellcraft, Essence Shaping, Essence Harvesting
    Strength: Stoneworking, Quarrying (Miner's boon, but these no long stack in this fashion)
    Power: Gemworking, Transmutation, Salvaging.

That gemworking set was rarely needed, and was mostly vaulted. I never ground out gems to make money. Those who did, usuallymade gemworking sets with quarrying on them. This set of mine is pretty much permanently vaulted now, replaced with:

Power: Lairshaping, Crystalshaping, Gemworking.

I have 4 sets of crafting scales. 2 of which are usually in the vault.

The teching of power, focus, strength is really not worth it. Recently whenI was planning out the lairshaping set, I did a test where I equipped sets of scales, measuring all changes to crafting skills:

This test was done with t5 scales

Power Base (+500 Power) adds:
    Lairshaping 20
    CrystalShaping 15
    Mining 5
    Quarrying 5
    Smelting 10
    Stoneworking 5
    Gemworking 25
    Essence Harvesting 30
    Essence Shaping 30
    Scalecraft 20
    Spellcraft 25
    Transmutation 35
    Ingenuity 13 (12.5 rounded)
    Salvaging 25

Power affects every single crafting skill to some extent

Strength Base (+500 Strength)
    Lairshaping 20
    CrystalShaping 0
    Mining 45
    Quarrying 45
    Smelting 40
    Stoneworking 35
    Gemworking 0
    Essence Harvesting 0
    Essence Shaping 0
    Scalecraft 30
    Spellcraft 0
    Transmutation 0
    Salvaging 0

Focus Base (+500 Focus)
    Lairshaping 5
    CrystalShaping 25
    Mining 0
    Quarrying 0
    Smelting 0
    Stoneworking 0
    Gemworking 10
    Essence Harvesting 15
    Essence Shaping 15
    Scalecraft 0
    Spellcraft 25
    Transmutation 15
    Salvaging 0

Dexterity Base (+500 Dexterity)
    Lairshaping 5
    CrystalShaping 10
    Mining 0
    Quarrying 0
    Smelting 0
    Stoneworking 10
    Gemworking 15
    Essence Harvesting 5
    Essence Shaping 5
    Scalecraft 0
    Spellcraft 0
    Transmutation 0
    Salvaging 25

Now, if you plan on teching a Strength scale with power, look at the value the full power set adds, and divide it in half. Thats how effective placing that tech for that purpose would be. For example I could get an extra 13 spellcraft skill, by making a power set with spellcraft and focus. 10 Focus V techs, for 13 skill. Is it really worth it? Abilities which are granted biggest noticable gains from strength, like say mining and smelting, you place those on a scale with that base. Since you can't tech str onto an str scale, your left with only power even affecting it. And in this example it would add 3 skill.

I always recommend people make scales and tech them with crafting techs, not stats. The Blessings, only miners and spellcrafters are usable on dragon scales, and they no longer stack with any ability that they grant themselves. Blessings might be a good alternative for cheap tier 3 scales with miners and spellcrafters blessings, but thats about it.

Making 2 sets of Lairshaping scales wasn't worth the trouble for me, what with extra bulk to carry or extra trips to the vault to swap scales.

This dragons humble opinion.

i ended up with only 1 set for lairshaping -- focus + lairshaping + crystalshaping + power with velocity instead of power on the wings.
    the other sets i have are
    str + quarrying + stoneworking + gemworking
    str + mining + smelting + scalecraft
    power + essharv + essshape + spellcraft

they work well enough for my purposes, and all i'm really missing is transmutation.
    the gemworking set is actually only 8 scales, with the wings being str + miner's blessing + speed + velocity. i swap those in when i'm out gathering and only use the spellcraft or scalecraft wings as necessary

For lairshaping scales, since the Lairshaping skill is the skill with which you apply resources, it is the most important one to buff in the long run. Who knows where the skill cutoff points will be for the upper tier placement. Not being optimal placing can mean 150% of resources needed to place a unit when compared to optimal (using biped construction as an example where it might take 3 timbers to place a unit instead of 2, when you are just under the optimal skill).

Therefore I made the set With lairshaping boost in mind.

Dorrins set will add 215 lairshaping, 233 Crystalshaping, 23 Gemworking (for comparison).

The set I made adds 220 lairshaping, 215 Crystalshaping, 225 Gemworking.

That extra 18 crystalshaping may come in handy eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    For lairshaping scales, since the Lairshaping skill is the skill with which you apply resources, it is the most important one to buff in the long run. Who knows where the skill cutoff points will be for the upper tier placement. Not being optimal placing can mean 150% of resources needed to place a unit when compared to optimal (using biped construction as an example where it might take 3 timbers to place a unit instead of 2, when you are just under the optimal skill).

Therefore I made the set With lairshaping boost in mind.

Dorrins set will add 215 lairshaping, 233 Crystalshaping, 23 Gemworking (for comparison).

The set I made adds 220 lairshaping, 215 Crystalshaping, 225 Gemworking.

That extra 18 crystalshaping may come in handy eventually.
    I certainly don't think that there's a right or a wrong way to do this but I like your thinking Guaran and it's probably what I will end up with. My thinking is that even if Crystalshaping becomes important at a later point in time I think we will be doing more bulk work in Lairshaping and that extra few points might work out better in the long run.

Well i maked my scales as:

Str: mining, smelting, scalecrafting
    power: essence harvesting, essence shaping, spellcraft
    str: quarry, stoneworking, gemworking

my lairshpaing i make as

focus: lair, crystal, str

i have got all tech components but i will wait until the forms go live and then contruct them or add a other 3rd tech :)

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Takora if you plan to base the lairset on Focus and add a stat to boost those skills, power is the better choice rather than strength. Strength techs on 10 scales will add 10 lairshaping 0 crystalshaping. Power tech on 10 scales will add 10 lairshaping 8 crystalshaping.

For crafting sets do not put speed or velocity on the wings. I have a pair of speed/velocity wings on thier own hotkey, and crafting and fighting sets are made with wings teched same as the rest of the scales. Once you get in the habit of changing equipment with a hotkey to suit the task, it becomes second nature. Giving up 2 to 4 tech slots for speed/velocity on either crafting scales or fighting scales is quite a bit to sacrifice for the convenience of not having to swap them. 50 str, 50 t&c for example.

well let the hunt after power techcomps begin [:P]

anyways i was planning to put on my wingscales lair,crystal, and velocity.. maybe i think about that if i add power instead velo, i got on my other 3 sets also speed and velo and i got opt in t5 crafting, ... i think i need the 50+ power for t6 crafting or? Hmm.. anyways crystal and lair are only needet to construct not to fly arround..

many thanks for you help gua ;)

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Thread Information