Thread: What level monsters to hunt for a Scout?

Default What level monsters to hunt for a Scout?

Wondering if my Scout is gimped or average. Currently he is lvl 14 and the majority of his skill points go into Evasion and Strength. Just a handful of points have gone into Bow and Health, otherwise they are about base level for a lvl 14. He wears non-magical Bronze Scalemail or Ringmail armor on every armor slot, +3 Strength ring, a quest necklace which gives +5 Health and uses a Fine Cedar Longbow (9-13 damage I think) with +5 Pierce damage tech on the bow.

For a typical Scout, what level monsters should they be hunting? Monsters of equivalent level or maybe one or two levels higher than lvl 14? I ask this because my Scout can safely survive up to lvl 12 monsters and is about 50/50 with lvl 13 monsters. Level 14 monsters I think are almost too hot to handle. Any monsters 1-2 levels above I'm sure the Scout couldn't survive. I avoid magic-using monsters for the most part and concentrate on melee monsters.

mbaucco

Default Re: What level monsters to hunt for a Scout?

I am a level 15 scout/level 13 Druid and it sounds like you are having the same experience as me. Scouts are kind of low dps/low armor so I find we do poorly against high dps mobs like pigs. Generally I shoot for stuff a couple levels below me that don't add too much, but low level mob balance is a bit borked, so it can be tricky. I do a lot of hunting around SSlanis right now and so far the Giant Chickens are easiest and I run from pigs. :)

Time for an update on my original post. Since the last posting my Scout has moved on to be, at present, a lvl 30 Ranger. I've also multi-classed as a Cleric (currently at lvl 25) for healing magic. The healing abilities have given my character more staying power and I am able to fight monsters up to 5 levels above my own. I also make use of the Cleric's shield and one-handed crush weapons to complement the Ranger's bows when fighting.

Britt Tigahare

Try putting points into Dexterity, because according to some sources (community site, horizons.gamersinfo, old strategy guid), Bow is listed as 100% dex. Which I believe to be correct because Tania has a huge amount of Dex (from 65 levels of confectioner) and can hit for pretty good damage and hardly gets hit. Strength is also high but is only half at dex. I don't have all my training points back from being spent on other things so I haven't fully tested this out, but I do believe it's the dex that is helping her out immensely.

Thread Information