Thread: Banned from IRC? ( NM false alarm )

Default Banned from IRC? ( NM false alarm )

OK folks...

I'm pretty much an IRC noob. I only use it to keep track of the #tazoon channel.

But over the weekend, while I was NOT in IRC, either my host or ip was banned.

I have 2 ip's that I can use to get out to the internet. My main will not connect to any of the tangledcords servers. This IP I use all the time and is what I connect to IRC with. To test, from the same pc, I connected with a different host/ip and it would connect.

This tells me from everything I read that it looks like I have been banned for some reason.

Now if I am over reacting, or am missing something, I'm hoping all you IRC guru's can set me straight. If it turns out I have been banned, I would like to know why.

Just very confused atm.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Re: Banned from IRC?

tanglecords is having issues. try all the servers listed in IRC Detail thread stickied above

If you are still having problems after trying Dangit's suggestion, consider contacting Mundy who is one of the admins for the IRC network that the channel is hosted on. He will be able to inform you if there is any ban on a particular IP address or block of addresses.

I have heard some ips being banned and it affecting all the clients on that particular isp. Contact Mundy as suggested, if ya can.

After contacting Mundy ( a most helpful fellow ) and after finding that the IP I use was not banned, he suggested checking for routing issues.

In the process of checking error logs for obvious routing errors or other network errors, I discovered that one of our users had misused their connection, and that the firewall had shut down a slew of ports outgoing. This is what cause what I was seeing. After opening back up the ports, All is well.

so... FALSE ALARM [:$]

( but I did learn alot more about IRC from all this )
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I can't say I'm an IRC guru, but here's a possibility of what's gone on.

Someone from your server may have set up an illegal spambot or other type of bot. It would have gotten reported to tangledcords and a tangledcords IRCOP would investigate. If something were found, tangledcords would then either attempt to keep the user from using their servers or, if that failed due to server masking on the bot, use a temporary siteban.

try /server irc.mousehole.org
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Thread Information