Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Area of Effect breath weapons and Primal-based GR alternative?

Default Re: Area of Effect breath weapons and Primal-based GR alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy
    As for the Gold Rage alternative...
    I reckon that if it comes the helians will lose gold rage and gain "primal rage"...
    Or will both factions have both attacks...
    Which would be a bit overdoing it... [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-15.gif[/img]
    Rather than have the helians lose gold rage, they should make it so both helians and lunus get primal rage. But have gold rage and primal rage on the same timer, so you have to pick whether to use one or the other. Maybe even have it so that if you use one, it starts a 30 second timer on the other. I'm a lunus dragon who became lunus because I prefer battle over crafting. But at the same time I would much rather be casting spells over melee.

Dragons are hybrid classes that should be able to both cast and melee effectively. Right now we can melee effectively, but casting leaves a lot to be desired as we are vastly inferior casters to bipeds. Having a helian gold rage equivalent would go a long way towards making both caster and melee dragons a reality. I would hope I'm not pigeonholed into being a "melee" dragon based on a decision I chose 1 and a half years ago, long before dragons even had gold rage or secondary breath weapons and when there was no functional difference between the dragon factions.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

I really don't see what would be so hard about having a Prime Bolt graphic do the multiple hits like Gold Rage does, with corresponding damage and damage types. Think about it. Gold Rage has no special graphics associated, so a spell based version doesn't need to either, it can just use the basic spell effect. They can add custom effects to it later.

So you are doin your Spell Casting thing, you pop off the spell equivalent to Gold Rage, and the same thing happens as does with Gold Rage except:
    1 ) The attack looks like any other Prime Bolt, just like GR looks like any other melee attack
    2 ) The damage type is Primal.

Could it be any simpler?

Make 'em share a timer, give 'em to both factions. The hardest part would be the quests, but I am guessing that if we asked for a show of hands there would be at least a couple willing to do write the quests once the quest tool goes live. I know I would, and I am not even interested in the ability.

Also, if it turns out GR and this spell version are limited to faction, we could implement a change of faction quest. It would be an arduous PITA, but at least folks that do the RoP before faction-specific code goes into effect will have a way of changing their mind. Could even put a hoard cost on it, like 5 mil. Enough to hurt, enough to keep people from flip-flopping at the drop of the hat, but not so bad that it hacks people off whenever new faction-based code is introduced.

But I would like to see my Dragon brethren get their due. Us melee types have been taken care of pretty good.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

If it comes about, it better be given to both factions. I would hate loosing gold rage and being stuck with some sort of primal version, in fact it would nearly destroy my character. But there is no way in hell that I would switch factions. Not in an RP game.
    Lumineux Talar

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw
    Rather than have the helians lose gold rage, they should make it so both helians and lunus get primal rage. But have gold rage and primal rage on the same timer, so you have to pick whether to use one or the other. Maybe even have it so that if you use one, it starts a 30 second timer on the other.
    This would be better indeed... [:)]

I'm a lunus dragon who became lunus because I prefer battle over crafting.
    Someone really has to explain to me why Lunusare supposed tohave a dislike forcrafting... Or Helians a bigger interest in crafting...
    Crafting biped stuff yes, but normal dragon stuff canbe essensial to any dragon.
    The only differences there are between Helians and Lunus as far as I know are that:
    Helians are mostly casters and biped lovers ([:S])
    Lunusare mostly melee fighters and biped rulers ([:P])
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

..David told me on IRC that the area breath comes with ancienthood...

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium
    ..David told me on IRC that the area breath comes with ancienthood...
    That's nuts.

First, we already HAD AoE Fire breath.
    Second, the faction breaths are AoE.
    Third, when AoE Fire breath was tken away, it was SAID by Manga himself that AoE fire breath would be back in a couple of patches. Given that ARoP wasn't released at that time, and no ETA was known, the implication was that the two weren't tied at that time.

If that has changed, and now they want to give us AoE Fire as an ancient reward (which is nuts, since we already had it as adults, and have it in the form of Ice/Lightning), I think David or Manga needs to step up to the plate and let everyone know of the change in plans and WHY it was changed.

Of course, he could say "it was always intended that AoE BoF was for Ancients only". Pfffft.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy
    Someone really has to explain to me why Lunusare supposed tohave a dislike forcrafting...
    Pretty simple, really. Helians have a lot higher crafting requirements for RoP than Lunus. Not as big a deal these days, but when RoP first came out there weren't many ways to artificially boost your craft skills. Basically, if you wanted to go Helian you had to gain something like 10 more crafting levels than if you went Lunus. That in fact was the main reason I chose Lunus.

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Theolaerynn
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Dragonboy wrote: Someone really has to explain to me why Lunusare supposed tohave a dislike forcrafting...Pretty simple, really. Helians have a lot higher crafting requirements for RoP than Lunus. Not as big a deal these days, but when RoP first came out there weren't many ways to artificially boost your craft skills. Basically, if you wanted to go Helian you had to gain something like 10 more crafting levels than if you went Lunus. That in fact was the main reason I chose Lunus.
    It is still like that, and imho I really dont see the point why Helians should have a higher requirement...

The only real difference should be the way we think (love or rule bipeds) and the way we fight (melee or casting)...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

True. The only reason I can see that it is like that is to reflect the more scholarly attitude of Helians.

What I never understood, though, was why Helians have the tougher fights too. Lunus get the phylactory much sooner than Helians do, so Helians kinda get stuck on Lem and Ka. In the early days there were enough doing RoP that it wasn't so bad, because they could just wait for a Lunus to go out and tag the pair, but I would imagine that is less common now

- Albert Einstein

Thread Information