Thread: Approximate Server Population

Cesare Borgia

Default Approximate Server Population

I am new to the world of Horizons. I have been searching the forums for an answer to my question so I don't have to be a bother but I can't seem to find it anywhere. What I am wondering is: approximately how many people are actually on these servers? Having come from WoW, the difference in population density is shocking. I have been playing for a few hours and can count the amount of other users that I have run into on one hand. Perhaps this is just because I am in the beginner area? Is there a community on these servers? I am playing on the NA Order #2 server, perhaps a switch is in order?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cesare Borgia...

Default Re: Approximate Server Population

From what we've been told, Order has about 1/4 the population as chaos does, and if you play during the day the numbers get very low. There is a decent population on during peak times, but it always feels empty, espcially compared to WoW.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Hey, Welcome to Order Shard.

At the last dev chat, it was confirmed that Order has about 1/4 the people on Chaos, but don't think that Chaos hasall the fun. Tomorrow night, we have a community meeting at the Chiconis Zoo, 9 PM Eastern Standard Time http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=86691. Directions to the zoo are simple. Here's a map as well: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...onisZooMap.jpgJust teleport in to Chiconis and follow the road downhill and north. The zoo is where the four crystal spires is on the east side of the road, below the shrine. Discussion is all done in the Community channel, in case you can't physically be at the Chiconis Zoo.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Cesare Borgia

A 1/4 of the population? Really? I would have thought that there would have been a stronger need for roleplaying. One thing I did notice between the chaos and order servers is latency. My character was originally made on the chaos #1 server and I could not even make it New Brommell -- it was just too choppy. I switched to Order #2 as I mentioned in my previous message and I have found itto bevery smooth.

And.. is there any idea what it's a 1/4 of? A ball park figure during peak?

Cesare Borgia...

Add-on: Sorry, hadn't read Zoo post yet. That's pretty cool :) I'll be sure to be there and thanks for the welcome. Maybe someone can teach me how to craft efficiently while we check out some animals. :)

As to the latency, turn your settings down, turn off the fluff. And the devs are aware of it, and are working hard on fixing it.
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Also realize this isn't Blizzard. This is a small niche game, we don't have millions of subbers :)

But the ones we do have are worth 100 WOW players *grins and winks at the community* heck maybe even 1000 of the really annoying crappy WOW players...

(having been playing WOW, I can definitively say our community kicks their bootay)

Welcome by the way!

Two other thoughts for you from an 'outsider' view.

The world in person is INCREDIBLY 'quiet'. Using machines doesn't generate text 'chatter', It is a LOT more convenient to open a chat window directly with someone and go about your business than to talk in the 'open'. So you might see 3 people just standing around apparently AFK, all the while they are all chatting up a storm. Few people talk 'out loud' even in more densely visted towns like Kion (on chaos) or Aughundall. If you are not chatting, then you will likely feel isolated, alone and bored.

Brings up my second point. Use the Chat channels. They are very handy, and it's often said that HZ is a glorified Chat client. The control you have over the chat channels and UI is pretty refreshing. As I said before, due to limited emotes and the ease of use of the channels, Guild talk, Group talk, what have you, most of the 'interaction' goes on in the channels.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare Borgia
    Add-on: Sorry, hadn't read Zoo post yet. That's pretty cool [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] I'll be sure to be there and thanks for the welcome. Maybe someone can teach me how to craft efficiently while we check out some animals. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    The reason the Zoo is called the Zoo is because it did have animals pre-merge, but when the shards were merged, the animals escaped. So, unless you intend on petting the dragons, saris, ssliks, or satyrs who show up (and I don't know that they'd be all that, uh, enthusiastic)....

Crafting efficiently? What sort of efficiency are you thinking you're lacking?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Hopefully when the improved biped tutorial comes in people will better find the com channels. They're the only real solution for communicating with people in Horizons. The landmass in this game is gigantic, and there are many places far from towns that players tend to be. With the niche population you have to use the public channels to really talk with the community.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

I would assume less than 250 online in either chaos or order at any given point in time, max population-wise....

I see no one has actually tried to "guestimate" the population or provide you with an answer to your question...other than that the order pop is 1/4 chaos....

Out of date information, not necessarily very close, is 10,000 subs total. Since thenanecdotal evidence, observation, and Tulga's statements show that the number of subscriptions has increased. So that would be 3,000 Order, and 12,000 Chaos possibly.

____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Well I tried doing player search of all class on Order 8 nigths in row, and never got more then 25, but then 70% of the player are set to hidden. I also keep looking how many people are on the various community chat forums. The emptiness of the various connies, and the lack of seeing boddies running trough towns.

But my guess is ... order does not have a thousand player base (and I'm plenty generous).
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

He's not asking about subscriptions, and neither am I....

If you re-read my post, I said I'd guestimate about 250 players online in a single shard (chaos OR order) at any given point in time.

I very much doubt I'm off very much from that figure...and I was being very generous.

A good number of players have multiple accounts and only 1 PC (for plot reasons), that would mean multiple subscriptions and only 1 character online.

The other night our chat group had 10 guild members on simultaneously, and we sure weren't 40% of the playing population. Last counts I made, some time ago, were >250 on Order. Last Marketplace count I saw at peak was >60 players, and often mid-30's during weekday afternoons.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Marketplace on Chaos is around 35 on off-hours and anywhere between 70 and 110 on peak hours, at a guess.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

Kula, remember that total was the whole of all subscriptions on all three shards (including EU).

The times I've logged in lately, I've not counted more than 100 visible on Order. (ususally between 60-80) But yes, several do remain hidden for various reasons. (guilty of that [:$])

Being I don't play on Chaos or Unity, I can't give an estimate of population there &lt;shrugs&gt;
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

unity 240players visible (8 aug 2005)

*Cobal's counting in other forum-post

[link]http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=86327[/url]
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Thread Information