Thread: Horizons has rejuvenated my interest in MMORPGs

Default Horizons has rejuvenated my interest in MMORPGs

After 6 years of Asheron's Call I was left feeling jaded. In the last 6 months I was only logging in and going through the motions. I finally called it quits, reluctantly. Then, out of nothing more than a passing fancy, I tried the 7-day trial for Horizons. I don't know why I was even trying to find an alternative to AC; I thought I was through with MMORPGs. Then I found something re-appearing inside me that I had lost quite a long time ago: a desire to log into a fantasy world and play. Actually to play and learn new things. I also found myself doing something that I hadn't done since the early days of AC: playing into the small hours of the morning. Because there's something about Horizons that keeps my interest. Maybe because it is a different game than AC; maybe it's the thrill of being a newbie all over again and having to discover what the world is offering. Just two nights ago (and I've only been playing HZ for 3 weeks) I finally could make some armor for myself and secondary characters. I am also on the verge of being able to imbue armor with some tier 1 techs. I have already done so with weapons.

HZ has its good points and its bad points, just like AC and every other MMORPG out there. I'm not saying it's "better-than-this-game" or "it's-worse-than-that-game"; it's different in its own way. It offers a style of gameplay that I've not encountered in AC or DAoC or Saga of Ryzom or UO (other games I've tried) and I think that is what has drawn me to the game. I have no idea what HZ was like in the past but I quite like a lot of what I've seen so far and hope the game continues to evolve and expand, most of all getting the player population up.

Default Re: Horizons has rejuvenated my interest in MMORPGs

Good to see you picked HZ, and enjoy your stay here!
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

*G* Agee with 12, but you're preaching to choir ;)
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Well thats great, but its making me lose all my hair.

NimK
    redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes!

Ophelea

Definately a former AC player....you tech things in this game, you don't imbue them *grins*

And yes, after many years in Dereth, Istaria would be very comfortable. It's interesting, most of the "games" you mention tend towards the "world" side of MMO design. I think that's why you enjoy Istaria.

But you're right, HZ is very different from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lascivious Goat
    After 6 years of Asheron's Call I was left feeling jaded. In the last 6 months I was only logging in and going through the motions. I finally called it quits, reluctantly. Then, out of nothing more than a passing fancy, I tried the 7-day trial for Horizons. I don't know why I was even trying to find an alternative to AC; I thought I was through with MMORPGs. Then I found something re-appearing inside me that I had lost quite a long time ago: a desire to log into a fantasy world and play. Actually to play and learn new things. I also found myself doing something that I hadn't done since the early days of AC: playing into the small hours of the morning. Because there's something about Horizons that keeps my interest. Maybe because it is a different game than AC; maybe it's the thrill of being a newbie all over again and having to discover what the world is offering. Just two nights ago (and I've only been playing HZ for 3 weeks) I finally could make some armor for myself and secondary characters. I am also on the verge of being able to imbue armor with some tier 1 techs. I have already done so with weapons.

HZ has its good points and its bad points, just like AC and every other MMORPG out there. I'm not saying it's "better-than-this-game" or "it's-worse-than-that-game"; it's different in its own way. It offers a style of gameplay that I've not encountered in AC or DAoC or Saga of Ryzom or UO (other games I've tried) and I think that is what has drawn me to the game. I have no idea what HZ was like in the past but I quite like a lot of what I've seen so far and hope the game continues to evolve and expand, most of all getting the player population up.
    Horizons is a beautiful game. It is rich detailed and immersive. Horizons has provided a refreshing world to explore and adventure in. I hope you continue to enjoy your stay, it's wonderful when you have a game that can keep you up way past your bedtime LOL.

Safe travels.
    Fleshrend - Chaos Server
    94 Cleric 12 Warrior 10 monk 8 mage
    100 Blacksmith 100 Mason 91 tinkerer 100 Carpenter 100 Fitter 80 Scholar 73 spellcrafter 41 gatherer 49 Miner

Just realised this still said Ice....oopsie

I do miss the animated chess boards from AC though. [:P] And my purple bunny slippers.
    Give Unity the support it deserves!

Welcome to HZ if you have any questions ingame ever just hit up the new player assitance chat channel.
    60% Achiever
    46% Socializer
    46% Explorer
    46% Killer
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Nimk a Beer)

Pookie!!! I miss pookie. [:P]

&lt;wanders off muttering something about bunny smite&gt;
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Thalak

Heh that ******** rabbit.

We have the big chicken though.

Welcome to HZ, "the other game".

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra
    I do miss the animated chess boards from AC though. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] And my purple bunny slippers.
    You know, my son earned both his chess and computer Boy Scout belt loops from playing chess in AC.

We need a mini-game or 12 in HZ. I love time-sucking nonsensical stuff.

I miss my guitar:(
    60% Achiever
    46% Socializer
    46% Explorer
    46% Killer
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Nimk a Beer)

Quote Originally Posted by Lascivious Goat

Wait until you play a dragon character. It's like a whole new game at that point and the quests are fun. Especially when you need the dragon quests to get new skills. Give it a try and happy you joined us.[H]

Thread Information