Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create a money sink and ADD benefits

Default How to create a money sink and ADD benefits

Where as Nadia DOES provide a method to remove wealth from the system, it is too hap hazard. If an adventurer only needs comps he can easily get himself, Nadia does nothing to remove wealth from that player. You still only have the creation and distribution sides of an economy. In the real world, we have forced consumption. If you don't consume your wealth at least by buying food, you die. I know folks don't want to be "forced" into anything, but the lack of limits has broken the economy as it is now.

EDIT: Ok... no sickness, nor forceing. Just a potion sold ONLY by vendors, ( thus acting as a money sink ) for 24 in game hours. The potion would buff you in two stats only, the primary stat for your current adventure class, and the primary stat for your craft class.

Like a mage/miner would have Power/Strength buffed.

The potions would come in tiered versions as follows.

T1 buffs stats +100 - COST: 500c - DURATION: 24 in game hours.
    T2 buffs stats +200 - COST: 2s - DURATION: 24 in game hours.
    T3 buffs stats +400 - COST: 4s - DURATION: 24 in game hours.
    T4 buffs stats +800 - COST: 8s - DURATION: 24 in game hours.
    T5 buffs stats +1000 - COST: 10s - DURATION: 24 in game hours.

This potion would stack with bolster potions and buffs, but only be usable once in any given 24 hour in game period, and could be removed to switch to other classes, but would have to use another potion to buff again. An added bonus to this would be that any player could use any tier of potion. Thus if you had the funds you could boost your pwr/str stat, and thus increase your stats in such things as mining, or damage from spells.

This is just an example of one way to remove wealth and still add benefit.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

Default Re: How to create a money sink and ADD benefits

This would simply introduce an enormous amount of frustration to regular players. I, for one, don't want to have to see all my stats drop in the middle of combat--or crafting for that matter--simply because some arbitrary timer goes off.

A far superior gold sink, in my view, would involve paying for "fluff." As an example, create an NPC hair stylist who, for a price, will give you the ability to change your hair color, and for a greater price, even your hair style.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

add stuff sold only on NPCs:

* transportation crystals
    * enbalming dusts that enhances gear/skill stats, with time limits
    * crowns, tiaras with stat increase
    * 1 time use scrolls that yield epic spells
    * onetime use blueprints, use as a resourcewhen build special structures, ones not on the current list
    * hireable guards for plots

i had many more, forgot now.

Yea.. along those lines.. you could also pay for a weight loss program.. or a subscription to the gym to improve your physique..
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Fair enough tant.

It was just an example anyway ... not made as a solution .

But something needs to be done that removes wealth. Until they can provide such fluff, what other ways can you suggest?

As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Paying for fluff works nicely - until you run out of fluff. Or vault space, whichever comes first.

Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Permitting players to change their base appearance is a proven gold sink as at some point--indeed, often several points--most players want to change the way they look.

So let's say for 100 silver you get a new hair color. For 200 silver you get both new hair color and style. And for 500 silver you get a trip to the character creation page for a complete makeover--hair color and style, physique, height, etc.

I'd be willing to wager that any number of players would plop down that silver more than once--perhaps even once a month--just for a change of pace.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Agreed Tant, your idea would be more useful and not serve as a penalty either.

[Y]

Runescape has that kinda system...for htose who havet played it u pay some cash to the hairdresser to get a new hairsyle, some money to the cloths dresser to change ur style of clothing and u pay soem cash to the make over mage to chance ur sex, skin color etc...be good to have it here I for one would pay soem cash to lok a bit different ^_^

ok, I've been thinking a bit further and have changed the idea into an actual suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    Permitting players to change their base appearance is a proven gold sink as at some point--indeed, often several points--most players want to change the way they look.

So let's say for 100 silver you get a new hair color. For 200 silver you get both new hair color and style. And for 500 silver you get a trip to the character creation page for a complete makeover--hair color and style, physique, height, etc.

I'd be willing to wager that any number of players would plop down that silver more than once--perhaps even once a month--just for a change of pace.
    Hear, hear.

A forced money sinkhas the stenchof the Bad Ol' Days of passive hoard decay. No thanks!

Fluff money sinks gets my vote.

I'd much rather have a choice in where my money goes (if it goes at all) than be forced to pay in-game money to simply play my character.

you need a forced money sink that is a choice.

like tax on structures.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    you need a forced money sink that is a choice.

like tax on structures.
    If I am forced to sink money into something, then I should be able to decide where it goes, and I should also see some benefit. Having my money that I spent time earningdisappear into some black hole with no result is just lame.

Fluff features is the way to go. NPCs that, for a price, alter character appearance, create custom features on plots, alter the appearance of weapons and armor, cast useful and unique buffs on players, etc.

Another forced money sink, and one that was discussed yesterday on IRC (after Aamer logged off), is "wear by tear" item replacement. Items that are used, such as tools, weapons and armor, have a health that diminishes over time. An NPC could repair some % of that item health, but not return it to 100%. Over time the item would need to be replaced. The items only lose health when they are "used," so armor and weapon health degrades only whenthey arehit in combat, and tools degrade as they are used in crafting.

yep... I knew this was going to be suggested.

I have guildies that played AC for years... they still login and pay to keep there housing there.

Could work... for plot owners anyway. But my concern is for those that don't have plots.

If you dont have something that affects all players, there will be clever players that will by pass the system. The portal system seems like a good method. BUT, not everyone has to use the portal to get around... like dragons. The plot tax idea has the added problem of what about abandoned plots in guild communities? If you tax the individual that hold the plot, then these abandonded plots will decay since they are not playing and paying? Or perhaps you taxs the MAIN guild plot for all the community plots... cant meet the tax so which plots start to decay? All of them? I'm not sure thats gonna works after all.

The issue is whatever is done, MUST affect all players equally. Else there are loop holes and ways to exploit the system. Perhaps it's just not doable. And change that could work will have half the playerbase screaming bloody murder. And the other half will reap the rewards.

In RL we have something that ensures that economies work for the most part. It's called death. If you don't want to die, you consume your wealth by eating. Not a lot of wealth mind you, but everyone does it. HAS to. IS forced to. We don't mind this because its enjoyable AND we really don't like the alternatives. Yes this is a game. BUT even here we are forced to play by the rules of the mechanic. What I have suggested here is a small thing, that affects all players and can be very enjoyable. I for one would love to have an extra +90 mining for 24 ingame hours. If there was a potion like that would you BUY it?

I have some opinions in generalon this but not specifically in regards to this suggestion, but it's related so I'll post it here.

The problem that I see for myself, that may not be global, is that there is nothing to spend money on, for the most part. Aside from a simple money sink that doesn't exist yet, there is no incentive to gain cash aside from purchasing one or two unique or undroppable items.

So the question becomes not how to remove money from the system, but how do we give a meaningful purpose to money as a whole, and how do we increase player-to-player money exchanges to create some form of an in-game economy?

This is the one drawback to nadia. Despite how much she ruined SOME aspects of the economy, she did provide means to flush money out of the system.

Overall, I would suggest that the following ingredients need to exist in order to start the ball rolling:

1) A meaningful money sink that is not forced on the players but is influenced via positive reinforcement. (Even something so simple as an NPC that casts a unique buff on your for a nonimal fee. Maybe a 100s charge for a 5 hour buff that adds +x damage delay adjusted or whatever.. maybe that's a bad idea, just an example).

2) I totally lost my train of thought, I'm watching Dave Chapelle. More later.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

re read the suggestion at the top 12... I modified it to be just what you suggest

ok how about...tax on your harems?

How about being able to go to the appropriate trainer and get the regular gift buffs cast on you for a charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Senkeleron Fell
    How about being able to go to the appropriate trainer and get the regular gift buffs cast on you for a charge?
    I'd LOVE that, only problem is they don't last long enough. 15-30 minutes IMO is just not long enough to.... go to the trainer and pay for the buff, go back to where you're crafting to utilize buff. Some places to get to require long runs and what if you didn't get your resources together first; wanting to take advantage of the processing bonus the buff gives?

It's one of the reasons why I feel the Tinkerer's Gift buff the Gangaf quests grant are pretty useless. People don't do those quests and then immediately go tinker some stuff. Usually the quests are done in succession and by the time you've finished the following quest the buff has worn off. Sure, you get a new and better buff after finishing the following quest but there again, I don't know of anyone who has gone to do Gangaf Tinker quests and then immediately went to go make stuff to level Tinker. Plus the quests aren't repeatable so you can't just go back to get the buff whenever you feel you need it.

I could really go for paying trainers to buff me school specific Gifts but they'd have to last the normal gift time of two hours at least.

Oh, and as for the potion idea. You're REALLY screwing Alchemists with it so no, I don't care for it at all. I can guarantee the first thing an Alchy would ask for is to why not just give Alchemist's the ability to make the potions themselves, with great difficulty. Confectioners already have NPC competition for their product, I don't want to see that happen to ANY other school (even if bolsters etc stack with these potions it is still taking product attention away from Alchy's).

Plus, a level 1 with 10sp or whatever who can buy a T5 potion and gain 1k in stat is just wrong on SO many levels.

could still use the traveling gypsy concept. The gypsies pop up from time to time, location unknown. They could have new forms, techs, rares, fluff items, regal parts, etc that may be put into the game a few weeks later. Besides being fun to find the gypsies and buy something noone else has, could also be a way to test how the new (tech,rare, form, fluff) works.

For example run into the gypsies outside of selen forest. Has one tier VI spell for sale. I buy it. Scribe a few and test it out. I feel cool for a week cause I'm the only one that can make it. After that its placed into the loot tables and not so rare anymore. Basically I paid 1 gold to have a new spell a week longer than others. Plus could add valueable insight in that weeks time to see how the new feature works. Same with crystals, fluff etc.

The veilo spawn time and place would have to be completely random. And only last a few hours.

IMHO thats what the Veilo was used for initially. Would be a fun way to sink money. That for many veterans would be worth the investment. Old favorite rares no longer in game and new items that might need to be tested before introducing to the masses.

NimK
    redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes!

Thread Information