THE CHAOS HERALD

After much thought, I have decided to resign as the Herald of Chaos.

I have been a Herald longer than any of the others, having started on bounty over a year ago. Been lots of fun, been ups and downs, but all told, a very good run.

I hope they find another soon!

MYSTERIOUS STRUCTURE DISCOVERED NEAR HARRO

"Just another day in the yew" thought Jarrell Thornwood, master carpenter. As he trudged over the ridge from harro, his thoughts strayed to how hard would it be to build some steps here to make the crossing easier.

Deep in thoughts of angles, and lengths of boards, he almost bumped into a small fellow hiding behind some crates that some thoughtless soul had left near the woodshop. "What are you doing here little man?" he asked, as he looked up from his thoughts. "Um, I'm Hiding!" he says. "From what, pray tell? Jarrell ask, as he realizes there is more than just boxes out here now. "You will find out soon enough, but just DON'T go any further east! Well unless you wish to die that is!"

As Jarrell studied the area, in the distance he could just make out what looked like a lone sslik fighter in battle with looked like a wraith lord and a few skelletons. But what was most suprising about this fight was that when one skelleton would fall, another would ressurect him to fight once more! "Most curious" mumbles Jarrell. Moving closer Jarrell was able to watch as another group of adventurers engaged a Mage like creature and what looked like saris clerics and dwarven miners. The brave band was stunned to see the mage cast spells in perfect order and create such damage! As their resolve quickly faded, those left standing made a hasty retreat, only to be felled by the evil miners who showed great skill in casting blight spells. Before they could turn their attention to Jarrell, he moved back to the gnome.

"So, what's this all about?" he asks the gnome. "It's a secret, if you wish to know more, talk to Aetheown in the nature tower, far to the west."

"Well, not just another day after all it would seem!" Jarrell thinks to himself. "I wonder what this is all about... Well, I won't find out here" So off to the nature tower our master craftsman goes, in search of answers.

PLATINUM MINES DISCOVERED

As Told by Fistanthaldus Majare

What was once a thing of myth and fables is now a reality! The storied Dwarven mine of Mithril alley has been found! We?ve all heard the tale, how the Dwarfs of Aughundell ventured out many years ago and dug these incredible mines throughout Istaria. Splendorous mines that reached into the very core of our world. This mine in particular has been the focus of many a Mining Guilds pursuits. The untold riches that lie in the deep recesses of this mine would make even the wealthiest of Istarian?s feel like paupers in comparison.

We owe this wonderful discovery to a Saris by the name of Jem Pounce. Seems Jem was taking her recent Golem frustrations out on a vein of Mithril ore when after the third or fourth very solid strike the surrounding dirt and mountain side started to give way. Now for those of you that do not have the pleasure of knowing Jem, she is something to behold when wielding a mining pick. Those of us that have gotten to close during these times of ?venting? are lucking to have survived the encounter *thoughtfully rubs scar on forehead*. Once the dust had cleared the outlines of a support timber could be seen. Jem quickly put the word out for all to join her in further excavating the site. After many hours of digging the entrance to the mine was clear as day. There was no doubt about it, Jem and her mighty mining pick had happened upon the Dwarven mine.

Being the ever diligent task master Jem set about gathering a team of the finest engineers and craftsmen that Istaria could offer. By our first surveys the mine was in dire need of repair. The initial number of Expert craftsmen to answer Jem?s call was less than encouraging. It seems the recent ruling by the Istarian Mining Commission has left some of our colleagues bitter and resentful. Though this turnout was lower then we had hoped, there were a number of bright eyed craftsmen eager to volunteer their time and talents. Journeyman crafters such as Urgan, Helters, Asuras, Madog, Xanthadimus, Oma, Plot, and others whose names I have missed. Young and enthusiastic crafters that have proven the size of ones heart and commitment to your trade and your fellow Istarian can overcome any obstacle. I and countless other expert crafters are humbled by their contributions to this great cause.

Now if I can only convince Jem to vent on few a veins of Cobalt that mine is out there I swear it!

Follow up: No sooner had this mine been discovered, but one was found in the Aughundell mining canyons. And there is an unverified report of a mine being discovered on Saritova Island as well, but from the discriptions, it was either made by a bunch of drunk dwarves, or perhaps reported by such. [:$]

Its is described as being in the middle of a cliff face, and sits at an impossible angle.

The Empire has sent their best Dwarven engineers out to take a look... Let's hope they leave the drinks at home!

THE GREAT CRAFT CHANGE

A few weeks ago, the Istarian Crafters Commission met in open session with all crafting guilds to outline proposed changes they wish to implement. Our intrepid dryad reporter was able to be there and was able to gather a few tid bits that we would like to pass along.

There was much discussion about "primary" skills needing to take center stage as it were. There was alot of debate over so called crossover skills like metalworking and the like, and that to make primary skills stand out, most of these ( if not all ) cross over skills would need to be eliminated. The miner and gatherer guilds won a minor coup, when it was agreed that the only crafters that would gain experience from refining raw resources would be miners and gatherers.

No time was decided as to when these changes would be made. But rest assured that we will be following this development very closely in the coming months. We will be passing along ANY news we get, to keep you informed.

GUILD SPOTLIGHT

Society of Misfits
Laneth Drethor [Guild Master]

1. Why did you start your guild?

I started playin HZ about a month after release. A good friend brought me to the game and into his guild called Misfits of Mischief. Like a lot of other guilds out there, post merge, our numbers dwindled drastically. We had been playing with the few remaining members of Questers Society, who was seeing the same problems that we were. We each only had a few active players, so we got together and merged our guilds. We both wanted to keep part of our orgiinal guild names so we came up with Society of Misfits. Then a little later while playing with another friend, we found out his guild was having the same problems that we were experiencing. Shortly thereafter, Fellowship Elite merged into Society of Misfits. In a short time we went from experiencing 3 to 5 active players a night all the way up to 22. A short time later, I was promoted to Guild Master when the previous one moved on to other games.

2. What is your guilds mission statement?

To enjoy company with Friends.

3. What draws members to your guild?

We are a family of friends in Istaria. We each like to help others in the game. I think the biggest thing that draws people to us is the kindness that our members show to the newly gifted of istaria.

4. How has your guild changed since it was created?

All of the guild merges is the true beginning of SoM. Since then, we have grown larger than a lot of us were use to. We started having small issues that any large guild would have. So in order to keep things from becoming a personal issue we set up a temporary guild council. As soon as we could we held a guild wide meeting and had our members vote on our current council. The council was set up to handle the little issues that popped up in guild. They were also ones that you could go to for advice and other things you might need ingame.

Post guild merge has also brought around the completion of two tier 5 guild Halls. One in the crater above Tavu, and the other is at South Balthizar. South Balthizar is open for guild purchase for normal construction. While we left the one above Tavu, for the construction of shops and guild wide storage. This was voted for and agreed upon at one of our guild meetings. We did this so that we could have one central location to be able to do anything we needed.

5. What has your Guild been involved with in the community?

We try to help with community building events as much as possible. But i think the biggest way we are involved with the community is by helping others. Especially the new players to Istaria. We all try to help with questions and equipment as time allows us.

6. Where do you feel your guild is heading now, and how will you get there?

Our guild continues to grow. We have a lot of great personality in our guild. I think a lot of our goals right now is character progression and finishing up our construction work on both of our guild plots. Our members have put a lot of hard work into thier characters and plots to help better our guild. I think that we will accomplish these goals by doing only one thing. Having fun playing this game with our friends.

7. What are some things you would tell other players just starting a guild today?

Starting a guild can be stressful if you let it get to you. Remember that you are here to have fun. If people see that you and your members are having fun and doing stuff together, recruiting new members won't be as difficult. Make sure that the people you recruit are right for your guild. Here at society, we try to get to know our new members a little before we invite them into the guild. That way we can get a feeling of if they are going to fit in with our current members. We didn't do that in the past and we had some major issues which almost cost us many guildmates. Set up a chain of command early and make sure that only those high up in the chain can do recruitment. Otherwise you could grow faster than you can handle and accidnetly let a few bad seeds into the guild. Communication to your guild is a key point. Set up a website or community forum for your guild so that you will have some way of communicating to people outside of the game. There are free ones available thru msn groups, yahoo, and other places. There are also inexpensive ones that give you a lot more in options. Our guild uses Guild Portal, but as i understand there are others out there as well. But above all, remember one thing, Have Fun.

8. Where can someone go to learn more about your guild?

I believe there is a post for us under the Guild Interduction section of this website. If you have questions, feel free to PM here on the boards as Laneth, or ingame as Laneth or as LanDrake. If i am unavailable, almost any of my guildmates will be able to answer your questions in game.

A CITIZENS VIEW

The community lost; modern crafting in the world of Istaria
By Gladmerin Trinklsmirt

Wandering the lands, many features are filled. Buildings built, devices churning and people tending their fields, keeping the withered aegis at bay so the living races can continue to prosper in the glory if Istara.

But upon even a quick glance, even a greenhorn can tell you that people are tending to their own fields. Gathering things for themselves; building their own buildings for their selfish desires. Locking their shops so that there is some kind of exclusive rite to get in and use the precious machines.

There was a time when these things did not happen. When people asked others if they needed to use their shops, needed resources they didn?t use, offer tools and time to help bring new and veteran crafters alike a sense of community, kinship, and closeness of fellow crafters to Istaria. But it seems that time is passed.

Indeed that time has passed. Since the great exodus to Chaos, Order, Unity, and Blight the gifted have coiled into their shells so to speak. Helping a fellow crafter is old news. But helping yourself is common news, and keeping to ones self seems to be part of that article.

Now the gifted stick to their guilds. Not even really offering them (their guild mates) the community of the past. Everyone seems to have forgotten that a miner is a valuable asset to almost every other crafting class that deals with metal, and leave the poor miner to the field to gather alone.

But one can see why this has occurred when looking at the way things are now.

When you go out to buy an item, you see a big gap for those in their midterm of a class. You can find bronze, and some iron. But you don?t see a flood of steel or cobalt items for sale. That is because there is no one who can make them anymore (well some people still exist with the knowledge, but they are hard pressed to find). Many crafters have refined their skill soo much that they forget the older ways. To them using steel and iron is something below them. Everything is made of Mithril to them.

And because of this gap in experience, everyone in the middle or bottom is looking only to refine their skill without looking at the broader possibilities. No one in their first or second seasons are willing to help each other as a community learn new ways to make items better and faster.

On a personal note; I spent a large number of days out near the town of Elmnic. During that time I worked on several classes. And the best way I could learn things in those classes was by doing the most basic of tasks. I made boards.

Luckily for me there were plenty of trees. But there were also plenty of other people. And for three days straight, I petitioned those around me to let me make them boards. Nothing. No one replied. No ?I?m working on my own class making boards?, ?I?m just passing through?, or ?I?m transmuting?. Just nothing. And on that third day as I was giving up and going back to solo board-making, someone replied. They asked why I was offering to make boards. So I told him; To level gatherer. I can?t get experience by making things except boards. After some more discussion, he finally agreed to let me make him boards. He was building a plot, so the less cutting the better. Shortly after joining and working with me, he realized the increased speed and efficiency provided by having both of us gather, and me making boards and giving them to him.

And after that day, nothing. No one passed the word on, no one replied to any further offers for free boards? Hopefully someone will spread the word and we will see miners and other refinement classes get work again.

CRAFTERS CORNER

"Sweet Dreams" A Confectioner's view from the top Revisited
By Vandellia Stormdaughter 100/CNF and multi crafter

Welcome to the wonderful world of Horizons and Death points.

The confectioner trade skill was designed by AE now Tulga Games to help you ease your journey thru the world
of Istaria, as you gain levels and occasionally die.

Food is currently designed to remove your death points in 3 min 4 min 5 min or 6 minute increments.
You can eat up to 44 different foods per your tier every 10 minutes to help you reduce the 8 hour
death point time. So if you eat 1 food of each of the 44 every 10 minutes you will remove 3 hours
and 24 minutes of the 8-hour death point time. Foods have a recycle time of 10 minutes so you can
eat 1 of each of the 44 foods then you have to wait 10 minutes before you can start eating again.

Currently all foods are Tier related. Tier 1 food items are useable by adventurers level 10 to 19,
Tier 2 foods adventures from 20 to 39, Tier 3 foods adventurers from 30 to 59, and Tier 4 foods
for everyone 60 to 79 adventurers. The types of foods currently available are soups, stews, pies,
jerkies, roasts, pickled, and steaks there are 8 types of soups and 6 of all the other food types.
There are also in the game 4 foods that increase stats for 3 minutes: spun sugar, candied carrots,
beef pasty and gruok wurst. The formulas for these items were only available during the Festival
of Tazoon back in December, so only the players that bought them back then have those formulas.

The Life of a Confectioner is not a easy one. It takes a lot of time and effort for a confectioner
to gather all the necessary resources to make one food item. It is possible that the confectioner
and alchemist trade skills are at all levels the most labor intensive trade skills in game step wise.
A prime example of the amount of labor required is the steps to make a beef and potato pie: gather
milk, eggs, water, beef, salt, pepper, potatoes, grain and the tier-related clay then turn clay into
a dish, grind salt, pepper and flour, then make dough from the milk, flour and eggs, then you are
ready to make the pie. With the addition of the tiered taverns its now fairly easy to stock a tavern
with all currently available foods.

The down side to being a confectioner is that as a group, we are currently missing 24 Journeyman
level confectioner formulas. We are missing stews, pies, steaks and pickled forms and have been
since December. Thankfully, in June they finally put in our missing grain and sugar resources for
Tier 3 and 4 and finally post-merge our missing white grapes for the Journeyman Vinegar form, which
sadly, is not useable at the moment, due to no pickled forms being in game. There are many other
issues for a confectioners to deal with in game I will list the current issues below
1. We are missing 24 Journeyman level formulas which effectivly halves the amount of time a full
set of food would remove approx 4 hours versus the current 2 hours.
2. The Untentional affect of making amb 7 usable to all makes food a non viable option for most players.
3. The shortage of Essence of blight because of the shortage of blighted resources has turned many
confectioners from the trade as they refuse to waste hours mining for the "bonus resource"
4. Confecioners are the only trade school missing all their expert process forms.
5. The Move to Expert level forms for all other trade schools has inadvertantly put a heavier then normal
burdon to all confectioners post level 80 as to get any sort of xp they need to make dishes only as the move
of the pointer cap from level 80 based xp to 100 based xp means that the only source of xp for a confectioner
post 80 is dishes not foods as they dont have any expert food forms.
6. Taverns are a mixed blessing i love being able to stock foods --if they sold-- but they are so empty its sad
we need some tables and chairs at least for window dressing.

My feelings on the Confectioner Trade skill may get cheers from some and enrage others.
I will express myself as completely and logically as I can.

1. Passive removal of death points should be removed. (If point 4 is implemented)
2. Ambrosia should be limited to 1 time every 8 hours of in game time, or removed entirely.
3. Tier related food limitations should be removed or modified.
4. Tiered foods should be adjusted so that as you increase your skills as a confectioner,
you can create a better product, such as a tier 1 soup can remove 3 minutes,
a Tier 2 soup 6 minutes, a tier 3 soup 9 minutes, a tier 4 soup 12 minutes and
a Tier 5 soup 15 minutes off of death point time.
5. Remove the food caps inside a Tier (i.e. Beginner, Journeyman, Expert) so that for example,
levels 40 to 79 can use t3/4 foods but the t 4 foods give twice the time off of death point
time than is currently in game.
6. I would like to see beer wine ale etc added to the game.
7. Ambrosia venders should be removed from the game, and put the ability to make amb quest on the
confectioner trainer-- they have outlived their purpose now

For those that haven?t used food its possible to create a macro in game using the game interface
to auto eat foods. I will give a brief description, on how to do it here, and my rational for doing
it this way

1. Right click on an empty hot key and select edit
2. In action block drag down/select use item
3. Drag a stacked food item into the item block
4. Click the plus to add the next step
5. Drag down/select wait put 10 seconds in the 2nd block
(I recommend 10 seconds minimum due to lag issues)
6. Click the plus again and repeat steps 2 3 and 4 till all foods are in the list
7. The last delay (after last food item) should be set for 600 seconds to wait on
the recycle time on foods
8. Drag down/select execute hot key put in hotkey bank and number in the appropriate
block and click save
9. Hit the edited hot key 1 time to start the cycle

The macro works 90 percent of the time. I have seen an occasional hiccup and/or skipping of a food
item. Normally this happens due to lag spikes.

Being a confectioner can be both rewarding and frustrating, I feel both happy and despondent
throughout the game, frustrated with the lack of progress in fixing/finishing the trade and cheered by the
occasional bone I?m thrown. I have revised this post for the enlightment of all. Im now sitting at
nearly 1 year at 100 confectioner and still have not seen the hoped and deeply desired changes.
To be more then honest I get extremely frustrated when i see someone who brags about never having used food
giving their opinion on the school. Its like trying to explain the reason things change to a Luddite.

Arcane majiks used to change dye colors
by Derwood Smallberries, mighty Dryad reporter

Some dragon are just plain crazy! I was darting through Kion the other day and saw a lizard with the most unusual attire. He was wearing an oddly colored set of leather armors, all pink and blue and yellow. I must say I had to us dryad dazzle just to tone it down! However, it did make me curious where he got such, um... BRIGHT... colors. All he would say was goto the observitory to find out.

So, I flew out there. Making it to the top of the spiral, what did I find but that crazy dragon Blue-Hasia! He was busy running to and fro, whipping up multicolored potions and smearing them all over ethereal tablets. "It works!" he shouted. "What does ya old coot?" I asked... "Well, you see I was reading one of these old tablets and found a reference to how the ancient dyes were made centuries ago. It seems that with the use of certain majiks, an alchemist long ago was able to change the appearance of dyes from what they normally look like. I have been following the recipes and so far, they all work! The only trouble I have found is that to SEE the changes everyone needs to have a perticular incantation chanted upon them. But, that a small price to pay for such wonderous colors as these!"

At first he was reluctant to reveal this incantation, but after a bit of fermented ambrosia and some fancy tall tails, he mumbled the page number in the tablet where it was found. So for any that wish to see these new colors... recite this incantation...

Greatgoogliemoogliewagawagaekrarro

As he fell asleep, I snagged some dyes and flew away.

Humm... red and gold... very nice!