Thread: topographical map generator.

Fridlekh

Default topographical map generator.

Made a simple topographic map program.

switches not in the help:

usemod - uses height % 256 instead of height / ((maxheight-minheight)/256) to get the color value for each pixel

usecolor - uses 7 color gradients insetad of 1. red->yellow -> green -> blue -> purple -> teal -> grey

todo:
    make ini file for declaring defaults
    make gui
    poke registry for root path

Fridlekh

Default Re: topographical map generator.

New version up, didn't get to anything on the todo list yet... added the command line argument "shadowmap" ... using this will override minh, maxh, usemod, and usecolor. startx, starty, stopx, stopy, path, server, type, and ofile will still be considered.

Fridlekh

new version coming soon... after I clean up the source a bit and gt rid of debugging stuffs. in the new version, topo maps will be an option, but no longer default, shadow map will be default instead (w/o textures, those are still very slow).

preview:

Regarding the textures...would it be easier to just use a solid color to represent the whole texture? Calculate the average color for the texture and either store that or generate it on the fly. That way, at most you'll only be reading the textures once and the maps will look much prettier.

Fridlekh

Eventually I'd like to follow Tree's example and map the masks to colors. This would work well for the default resolution, but not for any interpolated higher resolution images.

As far as being easier? No, I don't think so. Right now all I have to do is stitch together the LOD textures then call a resize function, and I'm at a 1:1 pixel mapping to the heightmap with the colors already correct. Mapping masks to colors and ensuring that the correct order is used when blending is much more difficult, if a bit faster.

Fridlekh

major update, gets with the makings of the def thingies. run the exe with no params to get help. might want to use:
    tomomap -? | more

I'm thinking of upping the contrast when there's just a shadowmap and no texture...
    direct all complaints/questions to this thread. If you find a bug, let me know.

TODO, in rough order of priority
    Mask based coloring as an option instead of LOD textures. Wanted to get the program fairly poished before working on this, and I think I'm about there.

configurable sectors per edge and scaling options.. Need to do the math and figure out how to present thje options the the user.

world cache scanning for community names for automatic addition to newly generated maps.

upsampled heightmaps.Add n<=5 pixels between each exiting pixel on the heightmap, and fill in the remaining space with new points. I suppose this could be faked instead of actually creating the modified heightmap structure in memory. just have to iterate through the map multiple times... in any case, the texturemaps are 640x640 per sector, which allows for a lot higher quality maps than what I'm vurrently generating... a 16 sector map is just 500x500, and I'm generating 4 sector 250x250 maps now to avoid situations where I'm forced to use 2-3 more sectors than I want to, or have the map be cut off... the client doesn't seem to like it when you mix and match resolutions of images in the same map (it likes squares) and I'm too lazy to create the single base image and then figure out how to chunkify that.

G.U.I. ******** I'm lazy.

Some way of representing structures/trees/etc (also pulled out of the world cache scan)

Thread Information