Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Default WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Got home after a hard day at work. Decide to crank up the char on Blight that I've been nursing along for past two weeks. Used the new patcher. Well, it updated 16 files. After logging in where I left the little guy (Gnome Druid level 13), I get near a Bronze Golem south of Parsinia. Target one with Improved Lighting Bolt, and things are going well, so I click on Shocking Blast.

Get the message: "Shocking Blast cannot be used while in combat."

Okay, finish the golem off with just the lightning. Pick another target, decide to try it differently. Cast Shocking Blast first. Blam. Okay, click on Improved Lightning Bolt.

"Improved Lightning Bolt cannot be used while in combat." [^o)]

Uh, what? Click on Engulf.

"Engulf cannot be used while in combat."

Click on Revitalize, as the Golem is pummelling me into oblivion.

"Revitalize cannot be used while in combat."

UH-OH. Run aways away, Golem follows. Click on Improved Lightning Bolt again.

"Improved Lightning Bolt cannot be used while in combat."

Whoops. Desparate now. Click on Shocking Blast again...

"Shocking Blast cannot be used while in combat."

Almost dead... log out, cursing....

What in the name of All that's Holy did you devs do, and moreover, why in the hell can't you stinking fix things without breaking everything else?!? ********, but I've been patient and silent through all the crap that's gone on. But this is truly moronic.
    Unfortunate, sad, and totally moronic. Either get someone competent to program or fold your stinking tents.

Pffft. [U]

100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

Default Re: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Blight is a test server, where test code is dumped to see the effect of it upon gameplay. Your experience on Blight can and will vary. Fill out the Blight bug report and hope the devs take notice.

Urk! [:(]Well I hope this doesn't make it to the live shards since that sounds like a huge problem. Still, Blight is supposedly a test shard. Have you opened a support ticket to let the devs know of the problem?

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Manga decided in the interest of class balancing that:

"Spells and Abilities will no longer be useable in combat."

j/k
    Got Cowbell?

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    Manga decided in the interest of class balancing that:

j/k
    Yer looking to be shaved bald, ain't ya Helcat [:P]
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

Well, yes, I realize it's a test server. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

And, no, I didn't fill out a ticket. Yeah, I should, but my point was not that 'Gee, there's a glitch here!'.

My point was: This is a really major crap-up. How could something like completely destroying the ability to use spells in combat occur?!? Isn't this code checked? And when the files are moved to 'live on Blight', wasn't it first checked on an in-house machine? I mean, wouldn't someone notice??

I thought perhaps that I had been a bit harsh after the original post. So, I logged in again, this time with the regular patcher. Character hadn't been killed, but needed healing, so cast Growth and Revitalize and Instant Heal I and headed back out.

Found a Bronze Golem, and cast Improved Lighting Bolt. The Golem charged and kept on going right past me. I turned and watched him go off over the hill. I was still taking damage from him, and he from me.

I clicked Shocking Blast.

"You cannot use Shocking Blast while in combat." <crap>

I clicked on Engulf.

"You cannot use Engulf while in combat." <argh>

He died. Over the hill, 97 meters away. I started to head that way, and noticed I was being hit. Invisi-golem, I guess. Died and recalled and logged.

How many tickets you think this is gonna require???

[:S]
    100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

Bad Helcat. Bad.

<takes away all the catnip>

Devast

Quote Originally Posted by Leannae
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Helcat wrote: Manga decided in the interest of class balancing that:

j/k

Yer looking to be shaved bald, ain't ya Helcat [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Ari! i didn't realize gnomes were so...

kinky.... [:P]
    Got Cowbell?

hmmm.... were you depleted of Mana
    when you attempted to cast spells?

/em shudders uncontrollably at the nightmarish thought
    Got Cowbell?

So... this is how they fixed the mem leak problem, eh?

Take away spell effects and abilities, no more drain on the servers. *ducks*
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

*glares at Helcat and begins to sharpen his sword while brushing up on his animal husbandry.......... "Neutering and its Benefits---3 Easy Steps"

As to the topic did it at least cut the lag down?

From my way of thinking things have gotten progressively worse since they introduced the new critter spawn system. Maybe they should turnback that clock and take another good hard look at it all.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    hmmm.... were you depleted of Mana
    when you attempted to cast spells?

/em shudders uncontrollably at the nightmarish thought
    Actually that is what were missing. It would level the playing field. Mana should have been there from the beginning.

Jayne

* glares at Jayne *
    Brassandyn and Landowyn
    The Steelworks. Realm of Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lascivious Goat
    Blight is a test server, where test code is dumped to see the effect of it upon gameplay. Your experience on Blight can and will vary. Fill out the Blight bug report and hope the devs take notice.
    True Lascivious, BUT, there is a certain responsibility not to just dump total and mindless code on there, thats what Genesis is for

Want a mana based game for casting?... go play EQ
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Some code went to Blight (to fix a bug) that also contained the new code for things that can't be used in combat. Unfortunately the necessary data to indicate that most things are indeed usable in combathas not yet gone to Blight.

A hotfix is on the way.

I hate to post against this sort of thread but I feel like defending what Blight is used for, so many players dont fully understand what exactly Blight is.

Blight is first and formost a test enviornment and things can andwill break when patches are placed on this server. This is why it's called a test server, to test new code and report on it before it goes live. This was pointed out above already however...

Complaining about bugs on the main test server AND not bothering to post about them on the Blight - Test Feedback area like myself and other do you are not helping matters much. Do everyone a favor first before ranting about bugs on Blight and goto http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=118post your bug report and then if it hits live then complain. This is what should be done.

Iliyist and the other TG workers look at the test feedback fourm to see what is new every day <more or less> and even respond if they require further information from us. Lets use it folks, if you dont like the forums send an email to<[email protected]> as outlined everytime you log into Blight.

Sorry about the long post but it just urks me that people complain before they even bother to lend a hand on Blight, because thats what is needed from us, more feedback from the Blight testers.
    Ancient Azure - Dragon of Blight (Now Chaos) 100/100
    Khan 'Azure' the Patriarch - 1st Adult Dragon
    Too Much Hoard To Count.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    The devs do have an internal test server, but I don't believe it has mobs on it. It is only a one-hamster machine, so it can't handle stuff like mobs.
    I thought it was a gopher, but a gopher is just a revved up hamster anyway with a tendency to dig down instead of in a straight line.
    Brassandyn and Landowyn
    The Steelworks. Realm of Order

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor

Some code went to Blight (to fix a bug) that also contained the new code for things that can't be used in combat.
    what sort of things will not be allowed in combat? i have this feeling it might be related to "balancing" and all that whatnot.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Thank you, Smeglor. I'll be looking....

And Azure, your point is well taken and understood.
    I'm just too lazy. Can never seem to find the right feedback forum, and tickets are SUCH a bother... Pfft. ;p

I'll try to do better. But ranting is sooooo...stress-relieving.

Same thing I have always said still applies now as much as ever:

If you are PLAYING on Blight (ie, for enjoyment), you're in for a world of disappointment. However, if you are TESTING on Blight, then you'll do OK. Not great, but OK.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Thread Information