Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Monk issue List

branden

Default Re: Monk issue List

i saw someone make a comment about multi-classing monks to make them decent. First off i'd like to say that you shouldn't have to multi-class just to make the class playable. But...it raises a question for me. If we leveled warrior to 100, and then monk to 100, would monks then become a viable class?

The only way I found to make my monk playable was through multiclassing and raising crafting schools way up.
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

A sad but true Fact...Monks are indeed only playable if you have a few Multiclasses to compensate the Monk given weakness.

Beside of the well known Facts about Monks or the Disciples, they are a Fun class to play ( from a Roleplayview )...

...but it is no Fun if you are barely able to attack equal Level of Monsters and to get out alive from the fight.

If I think how Monks are build in Neverwinetr Nights with the Dungeons and Dragons Ruleset...it is a shame.

I am asking myself..how can we make our Requests heard, how can those Requests be looked on and finaly solved.

It is sadly very comon in the Horizons Community to whine a lot and I am sure that many Players ( maybe also Devs and similiar Peoples, functionwise ) take our Requests as the usual whine.

I feel like a dog barking and running at/after her own tail and remember many Threads about the "Monk Topics" ...nothing realy has changed.

I repeat the Question, many other have asked...over and over...what can we do, to make us heard and looked upon the Issues ?

sincerly
    Kralle

We've put in trouble tickets on the issue and had them closed without notice. If you post a thread about it on general it will be squirreled away here in the Monks forum in a moment's notice by Dangit and never read. We've tried talking to the devs about it on IRC andwe arepretty much ignored.

I don't know anymore. I've pretty much given up hope of AE ever caring about Monk problems. *(Pre-orders WOW.)*
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

I feel as strongly about the bastardisation of monks in horizons as the rest of you.

I played a monk (although not very far) in nwn and it was far superior to what is being passed off as a monk in horizons.

I don't blame AE at present for not dealing with the problem immediately they have had the merge and the reintroduction of a much better WA with lots of new art and abilities. This would have taken lots of time.

The WA is still not fully present in istaria either and I don't expect to see classes revisited until they are but then they will have a compelling reason to look because they have made the WA classes far superior to our classes it seems.

I really do hope they put monks/discples at the top of the list when it comes time to revisit the classes. However I doubt they will.

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by branden
    i saw someone make a comment about multi-classing monks to make them decent. First off i'd like to say that you shouldn't have to multi-class just to make the class playable. But...it raises a question for me. If we leveled warrior to 100, and then monk to 100, would monks then become a viable class?
    WAY to many new gen MMO's are going the way of multi classing. I have no problem with it unless it is FORCED multiclassing...which unfortunatly thats what monk class means...to me anyway. NWN is a decent example of monks...and so is SWG for that matter as I posted above. The funny thing is...AE must have know what monks are suppose to be like..they posted it in the description...they gave us the abilities that "seem" like they know something. I just fail to see how it's not working right. Warriors of equal lvl hit faster and dodge just as much...rangers shoot far faster then monks hit...it's like the abilities we have just are not working/. I don't know...but today I gave up....I dropped monk and am keeping ranger. It's sad as I LOVE monks and have played monks in about every game that has them...and I will be playing monks again when EQ2 comes out. Least THEY know how to treat monks.

hobojo

I'd just like to point out that I remembered another issue that needs to be fixed with Monks. 16 HP a level is brutal for a Melee-only class.

We get 18 hp a level however I'll add that to the list if it is not there already
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

"Aura of Flame I - The ability appears to do absolutely no damage, Allows others in the party with you at the time its activated to buff other people they group with and lots of combat spam when it doesn't stick (Reasons for not sticking include people using Western Deadlands crystals)

The crystal issue is fixed and the Aura is doing some damage.. however, it is extremely poor damage. As an example: 24 points of damage when attacking a level 100 Yew treant, and much lower for other mobs. Level 1 gruoks take anywhere from 6 to 10 damage.

Against a Flame Disciple's "Fire Sheath III", this is very poor damage.. and in comparason to say.. the equivilant level of "Cloak of Thorns".. well, there is simply nocomparison.

((and when I bring up Cloak of Thorns, in no way am I saying it should be equivilant to.. but there is just simply no comparison. Both "Fire Sheath III", and especially "Aura of Fire" do very poor damage. ))

The buffing issue is still there though.. If you cast it in group, everyone gets the 'buffer'.. and it will also overwrite other buffers, like (but not limited to) magic umbrella, group flame or ice defense, and static aura. The buffer should remain with the caster, and not be given out to other party members.

-Menkure

Just thought I'd post in here. This is not class rebalance or anything, but I have touched up the three story quests for Monks and added a new one. This will mainly effect new monks as the story quests are for levels 1, 10, 20, and 30.

The new level 30 quest replaces the previous +10 increase in dexterity with a passive ability I've tentatively called Spirit of the Monkey that gives a +30 increase in dexterity. I am working with Smeglor to get this ability given to anyone who previously completed the quest.

Now, this is all tentative but if approved should go in for delta 56 (our next database update to Blight).

Oh yea, and Hasera's conversation has been altered some. More colorful now.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Is this a replacement for the edge quest? or something else?

More questable abilities for classes Is a great addition and +30 dex will be more noticeable than +10.

Thanks for the update hope to see more in the future...
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Very nice.

I also must ask, as a level 100 disciple.. will I be able to complete that quest or am I too high now and SOL?

Glad to see you in here Amon! Your feedback and.. of couse, any updates, are most appreciated!

-Menkure

edit: evilkarl, Also.. the western deadland crystal issue has been fixed. The only crystals that don't stack with it or cause it to fade are damage shield crystals, like the ones that give out Pulsing Spectrum.. That's probably intended, and makes sense now.

Will update to the list to reflect that change.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Yes, I am curious about this also. I did the one and only Monk quest that was available. Will I be able to do the other ones?
    Neon Burnblade
    Bitter ex-top-jeweler of Expanse (for a few weeks in 2004 anyway)
    --------------------------------------------------
    If anyone is interested in EQ2, look me up as Iridi on the Unrest server. Gronar and Hellga are on as well!

Due to our rapid attacks at less damage we are more affected by our foes armour. We hit more and each hit incurs the armour based damage reduction, This is part of why our damage is so significantly less than other melees.

This is not true.

aceracer24

Amon, thats good to hear....but that doesn't fix the issues with monk. Any word as to when a class balance will happen? I realize you guys have alot on your plates but...would be nice to see some changes to make the classes more usable...content is nice but if the class sucks...what good is the content?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    Due to our rapid attacks at less damage we are more affected by our foes armour. We hit more and each hit incurs the armour based damage reduction, This is part of why our damage is so significantly less than other melees.

This is not true.
    Marco,
    Though the formulae seem impressive even with the disclaimer:
    Do note that this is not the formula used by the game, but given the correct data it could replace it. The random variation is neglected here, ...

The fact of the matter is that in practicethe armour reduction really does make a difference. I know you read the groups and this is rehashing but I want to state it again. Armour reduction is SUPPOSED to be reduced for faster attacks but it doesn't seem to work out that way in the game.Consider there appears to be a cap on our attack speeds , while 2 handed mauls for instance continue to get faster with more buffs.

Also consider our starting damage which is junk compared to a real 2 handed weapon (which, in the case of Unarmed it IS). Take the case of Flurry. There is a damage reduction there in exchange for more hits. With my damage at the time I First got Flurry II, my damage dropped into the TEENS, theoretically against a crush resistant mob it could put me under the threshold of the armour of the monster. A weapon user starting with a higher base damage would still be doing a decent amount of damage to the same monster. It just doesn't scale correctly.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

I must've missed that piece. FFS how hard can it be to make the damage calculations correspond to what we are being told.

Anyway, IIRC flurry looks something like this:

Damage - 20%
    Attack Delay - 25%

No mention of which order it is done in. There is the possibility of both seeing the damage reduction from delay multiplying the damage with 0.75 and the damage modifier of 0.8 yielding a final damage modifier of 0.6 compared to previus.

Could you please supply with me some data to process?

Greetings Marco,

Actually I think it just gives you +x number of hits/attack with increasing damage reductions. Flurry 1 gives you 1 extra attack, with like -15, then 2 extra attacks-25% and 3 extra attacks at -35% damage for examples. I'll check to see if I can come up with some numbers for ya.

Generally against marble golems (crush resistant) I used to do about 50 damage normal attack. Then if I kick in flurry it drops to upper teens-mid20's for each hit for 3 hits/attack. It becomes worthwhile to use if I also have Nature's fury up. Flurry blocks the usage of PowerStyle, Evasive Style,and flow like waterso no luck bumping our damage or evasionthere.

It's a real Pain for monks to get the next level flurry. It basically goes unused for a long time until our damage catches up to the point where it is worth using to exceed our base damage. I am due for Flurry III soon I think. Not looking forward to it, and I have been pushing fitter recently to prepare.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

:o One of the best ways to get your problems/concerns across is go to the support.istaria.com site, log in, and go to submit an issue. there at the top of the list of help subjects is feedback... send it there at least...
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Thread Information