Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PvP Arena coming to Blight

Default PvP Arena coming to Blight

The Empire has taken notice that recent incursions by the forces of the Withered Aegis have been more organized and deadly. In particular, their use of abilities thought to be unique to the Gifted such as resurrection has been cause for great alarm.

To better prepare againstthis increasingthreat, the Empire has been researching a way to allow the Gifted to hone their skills in combat against the most cunning foe possible: other Gifted. While the Goddess Istara normally bestows a blessingupon the Gifted which prevents them from hurting one another, researchers have discovered a ritual sacrifice that can temporarily suspend that restriction. There are two different rituals, each giving the ability to engage in combat against anyone who has undergone the opposing one.

Currently under construction are a series of Arenas. Each will present a different environment to train in and will vary in size, rating limit, and landscape. All of these Arenas are isolated from the rest of the world so there will be no intereference with daily life.

The ritual which allows this combat training to occur consumes valuable resources. Therefore, there will be a fee to participate in an Arena. There may also be a fee or other requirement to be allowed to go to the new lands where the Arenas are located, to help offset the cost of their construction. Also, for some reason this ritual only works in the Realm of Blight. Perhaps a way will be found for it to work in other Realms, but researchers cannot be sure.

The Empire does not require anyone to participate who does not wish to. The Arenas are being offered as a method for improving one's ability to combat the ever increasing threat of the Withered Aegis forces. Good luck, and good sparring!

---------------
    End of lore
    ---------------

Now for a little more technical detail. First and foremost, let it be known that thecreation of this system and content did not take away from anything else in development. I was personallyable to add this on my own time (mostly while eating lunch at mydesk)quickly and easily largely due to changes that have been made for other purposes such as invasions and events. There has been no delay incurred for the Ancient Right of Passage, Dragon Lairs, or any other planned additions.

Second, the primary reason for doing this is to better test out new and adjusted content. We'll get a great deal more feedback about the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of abilities, spells, and items. Note that the concept here isn't to balance the schools or their abilities for PvP, but rather use the feedback from such to compare against their intended effect.

For now, this will only be available on Blight. The results of its use there will determine whether or not the Arenas are added to the other servers at some point in the future. In this very first release, in fact, you can only go to the Arena island by being summoned by a GM. After the initial bugs and quirks are worked out, there will be a method to get there on your own.

This first version only contains one extremely simple Arena. The content, such as the layout, NPCs, and the effects they give, are placeholders. They will be more descriptive and given more Lore as we move forward once the system has proven that it works properly.

There are no plans to add rewards, tallies, or statisticsto the Arena. It is there for characters to compare their capabilities. If players wish to assign their own rewards/contests/tournaments in the Arena, it is not supported by Tulga Games. We will not referee orsettle disputes that arise from its use. Also, the Arena is open to anyone. Characters are free to join any combat that is in progress. It is up to the players to ask one another to abstain from joining a fight, though there will be no official enforcement of these requests.

In short: use at your own risk.

As for how the system works, it's pretty simple. At either end of each Arena is an NPC. Each is the "recruiter" for one of the two teams. By greeting the NPC and accepting the fee, you receive an effect. This effect prevents recall and teleportation and causes anyone who has the opposite team's effect to be treated as your enemy. Thus they can be attacked and not healed. Characters that are not on either team cannot interact with (i.e. heal) characters that havea team effect in any way, so observers cannot interfere with an Arena combat. The effectcan beremoved in three ways: expiring after 10 minutes, greeting your team recruiter and asking for it to be removed, or dying. Death still gives a death point and penalty, if appropriate. Once dead, you can be resurrected by a bystander or recall. No experience or any other rewardis gained for killing another character in the arena.

I think that's it. I've done everything I can to make sure that those who have no interest in fighting other players will be completely unaffected. This system is voluntary, isolated, and confers no gain. Again, its purpose is to allow greater testing and balancing of content. If players have fun with it, that's a happy side-effect.

Oh, and in answer to the inevitable "when will there be another character copy to Blight": I don't know when, but I can guarantee there will be.

Default Re: PvP Arena coming to Blight

I've always though of the arena in Tazoon as a good place for this. Or maybe for a few fights in mob vs mob, and players can sit and watch...
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Nice Blight addition. Should help with testing new abilities/school balances.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal`cyon Sskyler
    Nice Blight addition.
    I just hope that people realize that this is a testing tool on a test server and don't get upset when it is not on live in 2-3 weeks. PvP is not something that I like nor will participate in, but I'm glad to see an implimentation like this for those that enjoy such things. Good luck with the project, Smeglor. I hope it gives you good information.

imported_Kepesk

I'm not usually much for PVP combat, but I must say, I like how this was set up, how it is being handled and treated as an in-game option that will not affect other aspects of gameplay in the slightest. Very well done! I'm even inclined to participate in it myself once that copy-to-blight thing happens. :) And for a lunch-break project, I'm really impressed!

-Your friendly neighborhood stripey dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire
    I just hope that people realize that this is a testing tool on a test server and don't get upset when it is not on live in 2-3 weeks. PvP is not something that I like nor will participate in, but I'm glad to see an implimentation like this for those that enjoy such things. Good luck with the project, Smeglor. I hope it gives you good information.
    Today is a red letter day:

This is an area-based, opt-in, no-reward system for letting players fight each other in a limited area with rating restrictions that may never even make it to live.

It should be emphasized that...

Horizons is not going to have wide-spread player vs. player combat.
    kthxbye<3
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Smeg you are amazing.

Time to donate some of my mage time to the research [;)]
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

As I said in the other post, yes he works through lunch and at home at times. Only thing I think that has distracted him during lunch is.....well Jayne :)

Oh by the way bro GOOD work!

It should be emphasized that...

Horizons is not going to have wide-spread player vs. player combat.
    kthxbye<3
    hahaha!!

Yes. There's no reason for whining about this.

yes, put that in the biggest, boldest letters possible so the carebears don't get all cheezed up.

thanks Smeg, i will resub.

*fumbles hands one over the other*

[6] Yes PvP Arenas I can't wait (put will, and also accept if it doesn't become live)

it might be too difficult but, maybe also different arena for Ranged, Melee, and Spell Caster classes, I don't want some Ranger bragging about how he beat me just because he paralizied me and ran ever 2 seconds [:D], or a dragon using one uber attack *cough*Gold Rage*cough* and use it again in 3 seconds and brag about it "Haha, I complained about my class for ever and now it pays off haha"[:P]

As I get time to add more arenas, there should be enough variety for things like that. For instance, if one of the arenas is very small (say, the size of the coliseum outside Tazoon), it won't be ideal for ranged combatants.

Regardless, it'll be up to you to pick your fights. If you don't want to fight a Ranger, then don't. ;-)

Trib,

I wouldn't run... I'd stand still and skewer my opponent just fine... :)
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Voluntary pvp in an arena? Excellent!

And I like the fact that the arenas are going to be in their own separate landmasses and not, say the Tazoon Arena. The Tazoon Arena, being part of Tazoon is far too slow - PvP at 2 fps is not my idea of fun. But with the Arenas located on their own separate landmasses, the fps could be very high if minimalist architecture were used. This also allows the devs to make bigger and more varied multiple arenas to engage in pvp in.

I hope these pvp arenas work and are added to the game.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

PvP is not my thing. I've never been interested in it and I doubt I'll take part in this.
    Well done, Smeglor. :-) I hope it is a resounding success.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I am going to assume that by not being able to heal someone who is "flagged" for pvp, you will also not be able to buff them. heh

Sounds interesting, I always wondered how my dragon would fair against an uberped.

Keep the surrounding landmass simplistic, but I would like to see some good designs for the arena's themselves. Places to hide, duck in and out of. Something to add some strategy other than, run in and unleash your most powerful attacks and kill or be killed
    This page intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter
    PvP is not my thing. I've never been interested in it and I doubt I'll take part in this.
    Well done, Smeglor. :-) I hope it is a resounding success.
    What I wont see the great Klaus in combat, I can't say the Tribunal would be happy about this [:S][:)], but hey maybe a Tag Team match would be nice too, and boy would that lagg something awful LOL.

Tribunal[H]

If pvp gos to live it wont make a difference to me i wont participate in it :P altho it will keep some ppl happy an dprob kill a few rivelrys on the shards

I'm really happy that this fetaure is being in developement atm :) Gives some pepper into the grey hz life from time to time.

Would sure fun to bonk sometimes the head of some friends for fun :)

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Nice Blight addition. Should help with testing new abilities/school balances.
    I agree. It should result in better playtesting, fewer posts in Bugs, and shorter Patch notes (the latter two alone should give more time to Amon and the developers).

The game mechanics --> lore is weak, but is understandable.

In Istaria's rich history there would be times where the races would have their own arenas for "testing", especially dragons, perhaps for their own "rites" to earn their place in their societies. This would apply especially to the Sslik that were not favored by many, but found a home in their walled city south of the Saris. Of course, would not apply to the Dryads.

I'd suggest a historical lore --> current lore (which also matches game mechanics) approach.

And Gifted vs. Gifted may not be the first thing the Empire would focus on, rather they would test their own forces, and those of the Gifted, against magical "versions" of the Withered Aegis monsters (normal and "smarter" versions). It may not be exact, but fighting various "WA clones" should be better learning than fighting each other, especially when the "WA clones" are improved by further study. Right? The Empire is studying the threat to their lands? Or capture and breed them for such events in a secure environment.

Anyway, if this testing mechanism does appear on the live shards, I hope TulgAE is ready for the inevitable spammage that will occur on the various channels (or similar player and/or OOC side effects).

Will this really be used as an in character feature for the fight against the WA and support the PvE intent Horizons was designed on? Keep an eye on it TulgAE.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thread Information