View Poll Results: Based on the troubles it gives Istarian players, Is Vista worth the trouble?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Vista is GREAT! I will find a way to make Istaria work.

6 8.22%
  • Yes, Vista is worth it but I keep XP around for Istaria

9 12.33%
  • No! Vista is evil and must be avoided.

40 54.79%
  • Chocolate covered Gnomes, because they are so tasty

18 24.66%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista: Good or Evil?

Default Re: Vista: Good or Evil?

Vista is FINE.

It's just working through the kinks right now with it's mandatory paid beta testing crowd (everyone that bought a computer and wasn't given a choice on which OS to use) giving feedback (by whining to computer techs that the stuff they normally use isn't working) to their professional reps (the Indian guys you can't understand on the phone.. yea the same ones that can't speak engRish are the ones that are trying to compile bugs for the developers) so the information can be passed on their professional coders (the guys that have been working around the clock for the last 2 years trying to fix every bug, glitch and hiccup in Vista.. that usually causes every other bug, glitch and hiccup because their dev team and their troubleshooting team don't talk to each other) in order to be implemented (when and if there's a new windows update.. otherwise it may be lumped into a security patch.. but not likely this late in the game) As SOON as they can get the problem narrowed down and fixed.
    See? Noooo worries!
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Vista ain't evil, it's just plain dumb...

I am getting Vista and just leaving in the box just in case, but I easily prefer XP over Vista. When it takes its own CPU just to run, that has to say something. "This here duo core processor I use to play ma games, and then this here quad core I use to run Vista so I can play the games."

This is purely personal, and I hate the fact that my laptop uses Vista, but I am leaving the possibility open for in the future. In this case, they put the cart before the horse, and then expected the horse to be able to figure out what to do with it. I'm just waiting on the horse now. And until then I'll keep the Vista box in storage with the rest of my useless "space taker" items.

Noelani of Blight -100 DRA / 100 DRC / 40 DLS / 40M Hoard
    Amryth of Blight - 58 DRA / 35 DRC
    Amecha the Neglected of Blight and Order - ?/?/?/?

Well if your gonna base it on troubles it gives people playing Istaria then has to be evil.

Personally it hasn't been that bad for me. Yes if I shut down or lose power or something else causes me to have to power down completely then I have to repeatedly attempt to get in using standalone launcher, reboot, attempt to get in, reboot etc etc etc until it finally works. Once it does though I never shut down. I use hibernate and it works fine.

One thing I have done the last 2 times I had a regular shutdown and Istaria worked first time was this. I went to the website and logged in to my account. Selected character and attempted to enter game. Got serveral errors closing each error until got the message Istaria started successfully and then closed itself. I then went and used the standalone launcher (without rebooting) and it let me in. If you can get it to launch by repeatedly rebooting until it works might want to give this a try see if it helps. Don't try to use standalone first though, have to do website login first after reboot then standalone.

Don't know if I was just lucky or what. Haven't tried it enough to really say if its a constant workaround or not. Might give it a try though and see what happens.

Smaug

If this forum had been around since 1992 it would have been interesting to compare threads on each new Windows OS from 3.1 forward. And I imagine there would be the same complaints... Windows 95 is evil, ebil I tell you! DOS will rule forever. Then Windows 98 is evil... Windows 2000 is evil. Windows XP is evil. And now Vista. heheh.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I like gnome pie.
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

Not necessarily evil, but definitely hard to work with. Certainly not for the computer illiterate people like me. If it doesn't work straight out of the box, I'm not wasting my time with it. I don't know how to mess around the the files, change settings, disable features, just to get something to work.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I'm not using it yet. If XP works, no reason to change to Vista just to have the newer, flashier one that won't run what you want it to.
    Noelani of Blight -100 DRA / 100 DRC / 40 DLS / 40M Hoard
    Amryth of Blight - 58 DRA / 35 DRC
    Amecha the Neglected of Blight and Order - ?/?/?/?

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    If this forum had been around since 1992 it would have been interesting to compare threads on each new Windows OS from 3.1 forward. And I imagine there would be the same complaints... Windows 95 is evil, ebil I tell you! DOS will rule forever. Then Windows 98 is evil... Windows 2000 is evil. Windows XP is evil. And now Vista. heheh.
    Yep.. they'll pull it together over at microsoft at some point. It's just a matter of time.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by GalemThawn View Post
    As an IT professional, I trully dread the day my clients will have to start purchasing and using Vista.
    This. I strongly agree with this. (I'm still an IT-professional-in-training (hehe, college), but this concept frightens me)

How about we cut to the chase?

Bill Gates is deh EBIHL!!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

all i know is i work the IT support desk for a major international corp and vista's coming doesn't scare me, simply because the peeps who call me have no clue about xp anyway! i anticipate no change the amount or type of call i recieve with vista as opposed to now.....

seriously - a senior web programmer once asked me what a cookie is, i swear by all that is holy! i have learned that calls from the IT buildings will be non-english speaking episilon semi-morons or american whinerbabies that want a deskside tech to come transfer their files from the shared drive to their hard drive........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    seriously - a senior web programmer once asked me what a cookie is, i swear by all that is holy! i have learned that calls from the IT buildings will be non-english speaking episilon semi-morons or american whinerbabies that want a deskside tech to come transfer their files from the shared drive to their hard drive........
    Yep, developers can be idiots. Hmm . . . maybe I shouldn't say that on a forum ran mostly by developers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
    Yep, developers can be idiots. Hmm . . . maybe I shouldn't say that on a forum ran mostly by developers?
    I think you saved your own hide by using the word *can*.

Rakku

When Velea sees that she will go like this:

Bwhaha.. sorry

(Yes, all women can do this, but we won't tell you! :P)

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    You forgot the red-headed step child, Windows ME.

As for vista, I am not a big fan of it, but unfortunately my laptop came out right when vista was released, so it was made for it. The XP drivers have issues.

I work in tech support, and in my experience, fixing vista is in between XP and Mac on the headache scale.
    Inayah FrolicFall, Satyr Extraordinaire

You forgot the red-headed step child, Windows ME.
    No, I left that out on purpose. I am trying to remove that horrid joke of an operating system from my mind. Hahah. See, when Windows ME came out I was working for an ISP running the tech support department. You want to talk about nightmares.....
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam
    How about we cut to the chase?

Bill Gates is deh EBIHL!!
    Only you're missing something. Vista was put together and developed after Bill Gates had stepped away from doing software design and programming. Very little of Vista has any shred of anything to do with what he put together in XP, thus why it acts so horribly different.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    Vista ain't evil, it's just plain dumb....
    In my travels, I have met true Evil, and I have met pure idiocy.

I have also found that I prefer the former over the latter. For with Evil, you can at least negotiate.

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

It just amuses me that when XP was released, it was heavily advertised as being better and safer and more secure. When that proved not to be true after a rash of viruses and security breaches followed closely upon it's debut, advertising just seemed to disappear for a long while. Probably not pushed again until after SP1 was released and plugged some of the bigger gaping holes, if I recall correctly.

Fast forward to Vista and it seems that the initial marketing push was quite limited compared to XP's campaign. However, I would have to say that the current marketing is nothing but "damage control". Those "Mojave Experiment" commercials indicate to me that the negative publicity Vista has recieved from a large number of ticked off users and Apple's marketing push have had a signifigant impact on sales. I have no idea at all what they are trying to do with the Gate/Seinfeld commercials. Seems like an awful waste of air time that could be better filled with pink cartoon bears pushing toilet paper to me.

I can't honestly say what I think about Vista itself. I have yet to touch a computer running it. And I see no reason at all to pony up money to replace a system that is now mature and stable with something that seems to have legitimate issues based upon the number of people complaining. When Vista is more mature, I might give it a shot. But for now, XP stays right where it is and I'm content with it.

I stick to XP. XP works great for me, rarely ever had any problems with it whatsoever, and I don't feel the need to shell out £200+ to get what I already have, plus a whole load of extra resource-hogging.

My flatmate has Vista. 64 bit. And it doesn't seem to work *too* badly. But he gets freeze-ups (despite having quad-core cpu/some 9000 series gfx/4gb RAM) admittedly rarely, but they happen. He gets blue screens. The amount of blue screens he got when he first installed Vista was insane. Not to mention the fact he purchased 64 bit off the shelf... then when he got home found out it was 32 bit in the box and you actually have to send off for the 64 bit version (which won't install now, comes upw ith some error then bluescreens every time he tries) is just a rip off.

Forgive me, but that RAM Vista wants to use is far better put towards playing my games, not playing my OS
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Thread Information