Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped Wings

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Ripped Wings

I'm surprised no one's actually requested this yet! At least that I know of. I also don't know of any mod that adds ripped wings either. (I searched "ripped wings" in the forum and only found RPs.)

Either way.. introducing, ripped wings for dragons! It's currently a WIP, and I'm trying to figure out how to make the rips much more realistic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No download link up yet, due to the fact that that is the only texture that is currently compatible. Just a teaser.

Default Re: Ripped Wings

wow racktor! seriously you are great at mods! amazing job! if you need any help let me know, i worked on some armor for a while.. which i need to get back into.

Quote Originally Posted by AguaRush View Post
    wow racktor! seriously you are great at mods! amazing job! if you need any help let me know, i worked on some armor for a while.. which i need to get back into.
    Why thank you! ^^ I hit a lot of bumps in the road with the fact markings hate transparency... but I'm just about done. Only a few more things to do and I can release it. ^^ I'll make sure to remember that if I hit into something hard, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    EXACTLY!! What I was talking about.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26694
    I never noticed you wrote that post, actually! xD But I like the idea you mentioned. ^^

Btw, update:

Just need to figure out where that black is coming from.

PS: Markings don't like transparency.

Racktor's texture (file "..._sk01_...") is a painful one. Not only does it have 2 texture files (muscle & base), but it also has differing texture files.. I.E. that smooth plate one for the muscle, but the small rough bumpy scale one for the base.

I went overboard...
    I've finished! It's taken quite a few hours, but then again I have no life so who cares?!
    Please report any bugs that you encounter and I'll try to fix them asap.
    Click the picture for the download link!

Order/Chaos, Harro and Pleasant Canyon respectively

The only word for this is LOVE <3

Not bad, Racktor. A little more aggressive than I would have done it but they look pretty good. You did a nice job with them. I had given thought to making something like that a while back but never did anything towards it.

You are giving me a bit of inspiration to finish something that I was working on with intent for it to become a creation option. I'll have to dig out my notes now....

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Not bad, Racktor. A little more aggressive than I would have done it but they look pretty good. You did a nice job with them. I had given thought to making something like that a while back but never did anything towards it.

You are giving me a bit of inspiration to finish something that I was working on with intent for it to become a creation option. I'll have to dig out my notes now....
    go sol go!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyra View Post
    The only word for this is LOVE <3
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Thanks very much Solitaire! ^^ I made it really ripped because generally when someone draws a character with ripped wings, it's riddled with holes and breaks.

But as Agua says.. go Sol go!!

P.S.

Like Solitaire, I'd thought about doing something like this too, but I am notorious for never getting around to my mod ideas. >.> I would have gone more for tattered edges than tearing so many holes that it looks like the Prime Winds are the only reason that dragon can stay airborne, but it looks good! I imagine that this would look really good on blighted dragons, perhaps even be a bit of an explanation for why they can't fly. :P

Did you have to fix the decal problem by putting the "rips" into the decal files too?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I would have gone more for tattered edges than tearing so many holes that it looks like the Prime Winds are the only reason that dragon can stay airborne, but it looks good! I imagine that this would look really good on blighted dragons, perhaps even be a bit of an explanation for why they can't fly. :P
    Thank you, and that's generally the look I was going for - blighted and barely airborn. =P I'm thinking about doing a version with a less tattered look, but still worn down, but that's another day's work... *12:26am*
    All blighted dragons seem to have their wings tattered at least, so maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Did you have to fix the decal problem by putting the "rips" into the decal files too?
    Yup. Surprisingly, there weren't as many decal files as I thought. I ended up having to modify 37 files, but I used a sort of "cookie cutter" to get through it. (Since all files are identical in size, one cutter fits all.)

racktor its coming up with "file blocked for violation"
    http://dragcave.net/image/HJS6N.gif one day we can touch the skies together!

I can add, that preaty natural rip on zomby texture. you can use it as base for experiment with shape.
    I wan't be rude, but we must be fair - at now it looks preaty unnatural

Stating your opinion is not being rude.

I think Racktor said it was rushed into release.

If more time were taken and a bit more work put on them I think it would be a great addition to the dragon look. Solitaire and possibly others are/were working on this idea as well. I look forward to seeing what others come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyennne View Post
    racktor its coming up with "file blocked for violation"
    It works fine for me.. I'd upload it on a mirror site, but I don't know any. (I think it's too big for an attachment)
    Edit 2: Okay, try this one: http://www.4shared.com/zip/dZDwroMl/Ripped_Wings.html? MediaFire doesn't like the file apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Krinharth View Post
    I can add, that preaty natural rip on zomby texture. you can use it as base for experiment with shape.
    I wan't be rude, but we must be fair - at now it looks preaty unnatural
    I don't mind anyone being rude, any feedback I accept - plus, you're not being rude as Mimir said, you're just stating your opinion.

But yes, it does look really unnatural. Generally this is a first draft and I'm thinking of doing another more natural looking one today while my sister's bridal shower is being set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    I think Racktor said it was rushed into release.

If more time were taken and a bit more work put on them I think it would be a great addition to the dragon look. Solitaire and possibly others are/were working on this idea as well. I look forward to seeing what others come up with.
    It wasn't rushed; I was throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, and that's what I came up with. I went for a more "cool", I guess, look than natural.
    But then again, I'm known for going overboard on rips and tears.. lol :P
    Edit: But yes, I'd love to see what others come up with
    Last edited by Racktor; August 9th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

(I can never manage to edit my own posts in time!)
    Hopefully this looks more natural. =P

Some of the tears are a little too big, but oh well.

Triple post.. rawr.

The V2 is up for download now:

Download
    Mirror

I quite like it. Makes Racky look like the battletorn old guy he should be. =P What do you think? ^^

Do the right and left wings have to be mirrored images? It is looking better but...

Yeah, they do. If they didn't I'd make the two sides different. The bottom and top can be different but that wouldn't make sense.

OK, LOL I really don't know your work ethic, you mentioned above that it was a huge number of files to edit.

So if you only needed to edit 1/2 the number of files (30 something) to get both wings done, it makes sense to me.

I was just asking. A yes or no would have been fine.

I really like the idea of tattered wings but think that the exact same wounds on both wings detracts from it a bit. That said I think they look good(ish).

Thread Information