Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Change to Flame, Energy and Ice Bone Splinters

Default Re: Upcoming Change to Flame, Energy and Ice Bone Splinters

Quote Originally Posted by Tympest
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Amon Gwareth wrote:Other Changes of Note:

All three Dragon Breath quests have been updated so that you will still get splinters as loot drops when you are on the quests and killing the skeletons in the western deadlands.
    Just a nitpick, but I hope you mean the northern deadlands. The breath quests are level 50 and expecting dragons to kill level 60-80 skeles in the WD is a bit harsh.

I totally echo this statement. I think that the current rate of bone splinter drops is insane. I tried for 4 hours to get a bone splinter in Northern Deadlands, and came away empty handed. All it ended up doing is turning me off to doing the quest at all. I do not want to HAVE to group to do these quests, I won't even mention the insanity involved in getting the Elnathian, Dabihian and Algedian silver. Way overboard IMO. This could stand a change. There is nothing remotely fun about being lvl 55, hovering above 15-20 lvl 90+ mobs on Elnath, knowing full well that if you land to mine silver, you're a dead dragon. Please look into changing these quests, to something a little more lvl appropriate.
    "Sarcasm! Just one more of the FREE services I offer."

imported_kylara

I agree as well. I just finished the elnathian silver quest and was really frustrated that i HAD to have help to do an ability quest. after 5dps and a few hours of frustration, i finally asked. Now i have the BoF3 quest, and3 hours of killing skele after skele, still no splinter. have 2 other splinters, but no flame. gave it up and am crafting again. the drop rate is discouraging. maybe i'll go back to it in a few weeks. If you receive the quest at level 50, you should be able to DO the quest solo at level 50, not have to wait a few levels or have someone help you.

I have to agree, sending a lvl 50 dragon out to the Satyr Isles to gather slate and silver is a bit much. Back when the quests were introduced it wasn't that big of a deal as the mobs populating the Satyr Isles were considerably lower in lvl as they are now. Sacrificer spiders for the most part by the nodes. AlsoI think its a bit much to send a lvl 50 out into a T4 dead zone looking for a rare drop on a rare mob.I don't think the quest should be easy, but... .

As an aside I do have a Dragon and I did the quests. Took me and another adult about an hour to loot a flame and energy splinter, but I burned hoard like it was trick fuel, and I waited till lvl 70 or so to do them. I think that facet of the quest is fine as far as dificulty goes, aside from the abysmal drop rate that it looks like Amon is trying to rectify.
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

It's probably supposed to be a difficult quest.

The difficulty is fine.

The breath weapon though, doesn't scale up commensurate with that effort you put in to get it. It was a hard to get breath weapon. The breath of Fire III is fine, but the Elemental breath weapons function at a level 50 version, and miss more than they hit. For an ability on a 10 minute timer to boot, they are close to worthless.

Thats the real travesty. Now, if they made the Elemental breaths work better, maybe even auto-hit. Then the existing difficulty would be justified.

For the effort it takes as a ~ level 50, they are a bit weak (Lightning Breath and Ice Breath).

Flip side: I actually liked the quests. It was fun and a little scary dodging around to get the satyr metal ores... And to get the splinters we had tokill lvl 76 Bone Golem Revenants. They had nearly 5k hp and were one of the toughest mobs in the game. We went as a group.

Relatively, they are alot easier than that now. Take some help.

I respect all those who like the quest as is and did it with no problems, however, I have to say, the quest is highly inappropriate for a season 50 Dragon. You can make a quest FAIRLY difficult and tedious at a lvl 50-60 lvl without including Northern Deadlands and Satyr Islands. The quest, as is, is insanely difficult, and is not fine the way it is. Waiting until lvl 70-100 to do a quest, that is clearly marked for lvl 50, Is not ok.And it should be SOLOABLE at lvl 50. No one should be forced to group to do the satyr island portion, which most ARE. If you're LUCKY you can dodge mobs on Satyr Islands, most of the time, however, there are too many mobs and dodging is not an option.

I do agree with the hit rate of the elemental breath weapons, which is actually why I chose to post on this thread again. After grouping for my breath weapon quests(sigh), I now have them. I have hit with Breath of Lightning a grand total of...NEVER. BoF III does about as much damage as BoF II did. I think that could use a change too. More fire, more hit chance with Lightning/Ice. Otherwise it definatly is NOT worth the insanity of the quest, or the sheer annoyance put into it.

Default Re: Upcoming Change to Flame and Ice Bone Splinters

:o
    I think pointing out that they need to be looted for the quests that are affected should be highlighted more than the fact that they are moving.
    For those who use them for banners and techs; the velio will supply, but for the dragons needing to loot them, the quest will be impossible to complete with bought ones.
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Illi
    I respect all those who like the quest as is and did it with no problems, however, I have to say, the quest is highly inappropriate for a season 50 Dragon. You can make a quest FAIRLY difficult and tedious at a lvl 50-60 lvl without including Northern Deadlands and Satyr Islands. The quest, as is, is insanely difficult, and is not fine the way it is. Waiting until lvl 70-100 to do a quest, that is clearly marked for lvl 50, Is not ok.And it should be SOLOABLE at lvl 50. No one should be forced to group to do the satyr island portion, which most ARE. If you're LUCKY you can dodge mobs on Satyr Islands, most of the time, however, there are too many mobs and dodging is not an option.
    I must agree that indeed the satyre islands are quite annoying and low rating players only go there to check the place out (and mostly die), powerlevel with friends or being on a quest...
    I did the bone splinters mostly solo with the exception of a short but nice grouping with a german player and did the satyre resources completely solo...
    I was lvl 50-55 Hatchling when I was collecting splinters in NDL...
    Sure it sucked big time, but if you want to get them you will...
    You will die a few times, but hey who cares...
    you recall and try again...
    When I was trying to get to NDL I mostly went through the tower north of mahagra... Now you do a quest and NDL is 20m (give or take a fewmeters [;)])from the portal!!!
    As long as you remember to stay clear of casting undead that is near or above your lvl...
    lvl 60 skeleton warriors were easy to me then, but a lvl 45 caster could kill me easy if I wasnt carefull...
    As for the satyr island resources...
    If you have patience and can react fast enough its not so difficult... at least not necessary to die for...
    Hoover above the resource node... Land, gather (preferely with craft ability active so chose in advance) and take of before you are even hit...
    As for being a hatchy or biped to try it... good luck and bring big friends... [:)]
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Illi wrote:I respect all those who like the quest as is and did it with no problems, however, I have to say, the quest is highly inappropriate for a season 50 Dragon. You can make a quest FAIRLY difficult and tedious at a lvl 50-60 lvl without including Northern Deadlands and Satyr Islands. The quest, as is, is insanely difficult, and is not fine the way it is. Waiting until lvl 70-100 to do a quest, that is clearly marked for lvl 50, Is not ok.And it should be SOLOABLE at lvl 50. No one should be forced to group to do the satyr island portion, which most ARE. If you're LUCKY you can dodge mobs on Satyr Islands, most of the time, however, there are too many mobs and dodging is not an option.
    I must agree that indeed the satyre islands are quite annoying and low rating players only go there to check the place out (and mostly die), powerlevel with friends or being on a quest...
    I did the bone splinters mostly solo with the exception of a short but nice grouping with a german player and did the satyre resources completely solo...
    I was lvl 50-55 Hatchling when I was collecting splinters in NDL...
    Sure it sucked big time, but if you want to get them you will...
    You will die a few times, but hey who cares...
    you recall and try again...
    When I was trying to get to NDL I mostly went through the tower north of mahagra... Now you do a quest and NDL is 20m (give or take a fewmeters [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img])from the portal!!!
    As long as you remember to stay clear of casting undead that is near or above your lvl...
    lvl 60 skeleton warriors were easy to me then, but a lvl 45 caster could kill me easy if I wasnt carefull...
    As for the satyr island resources...
    If you have patience and can react fast enough its not so difficult... at least not necessary to die for...
    Hoover above the resource node... Land, gather (preferely with craft ability active so chose in advance) and take of before you are even hit...
    As for being a hatchy or biped to try it... good luck and bring big friends... [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    I would totally agree with you, IF, the drop rate on bone splinters wasn't as abysmal as it is currently. With the new changes, perhaps that might change, and I for one hope that this is the case. In my case, I now have my quests finished, but no thanks to drop rate, and no thanks even to myself. I had two ancient helpers to do my NDL part. And ancient help on Satyr islands. I'm tired of the hypocrisy where some of the lore is concerned. Lunus are intolerant of bipeds, yet are forced to group with them from time to time, ridiculous. I have biped friends and won't go into my personal Lunus point of view, but chose this time, to rely on dragon help. The thanks goes to those two Ancients. If I'd been solo at the time....i'd still be there. That's not appropriate. I've spoken to Dragons that spent 4 or more DAYS looking for bone splinters, doing it solo.

Another point is, I'm not a grouper. I don't post in Dragon or Market asking for help, it's just not me. I group with guild and personal friends, and when someone offers I usually take them up on it, but i'm reluctant to ask for help. I'm a soloer by nature, a loner, hermit, if you will. So, for me to be grouping at all, that's an occasion in itself. This quest, in a way, forces grouping. I don't believe in forced grouping of any type.

But enough ranting, I'm elated to read that in the Blight patch notes, they are taking a look at these quests. I will wait with bells on for their decisions.[:P]

*cough* ...

IMO, this is still an important issue that got left in the dust.
    someone brought up the question of the breath quests in dragon channel a few minutes ago on order. specifically...
    where exactly do these drop now? both north and west deadlands?
    what does the quest text say?
    how is the drop rate? posts above suggest it's attrocious.

and yes.. define "interim" for the banners and other things the splinters involve.

Breath Quest work fine in WD. If you have the quest the splinter most time drops within the first 3 skeletons.

But banners and dragon techs have been forgoten (again).
    Banners t1/2 are buged now for 1,5 years. So no surprise.
    Enisha Dryad 190/234 Caster (retired)
    Enix Dryad 165/100 Heavy Melee (retired)
    Enigma Dragon 100/92 Helian (retired)

Unity

I'm just trying to clarify something now, but isn't the bone splinter part supposed to be do able?I sent my lvl 52 dragon into NDL along with a level 100 biped, and a lvl 85 dragon who was also on the quest. I have been trying at this quest for along time and when a flame bone splinter finally appeared off a level 55 half-giant, he disappeared. I'm not sure if it's just my computer or not but it happened about 2 more times for me and once for the dragon i was with, which leaves me wondering, how am I supposed to finish this quest? some one said something about being able to get the splinters somwhere else, so there might be a way, but can I get feedback from some one who has finished both breath quests recently? And if they're on chaos HELP MEEEE[:|]!!!!!!!
    Stone-Claw Draconis

Quote Originally Posted by Eni
    Breath Quest work fine in WD. If you have the quest the splinter most time drops within the first 3 skeletons.
    um.. yes, except that it shouldn't be requiring WD mobs for a level 50 quest.
    and from the sound of things it isn't working in north deadlands..

To put some relosution to WD/ND issue, this is from the 25. October live patch notes:

Skeletons in the Western Deadlands now will now drop Flame and Ice Bone Splinters when you are on the quests ?Gain Breath of Fire III?, ?Gain Breath of Ice?, and ?Gain Breath of Lightning?.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Today I tried helping a dragon get a flame splinter from skeletons in the northern deadlands as his quest indicated. He spent hours there with no luck. Does it only work in the western deadlands?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Today I tried helping a dragon get a flame splinter from skeletons in the northern deadlands as his quest indicated. He spent hours there with no luck. Does it only work in the western deadlands?
    I think it should be in WDL only. If the quest says northern deadlands, please have your friend put in a ticket on the quest instructions.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Last time I did this quest it was northern deadlands. IIRC that was right before Tulga folded, so unless this changed recently, it's probably still northern deadlands.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    I think it should be in WDL only. If the quest says northern deadlands, please have your friend put in a ticket on the quest instructions.
    I asked him to, no idea if he did. He finally got it off of a mighty skeleton, and it was a "splinter of flame-bone" with a nice description instead of the old "flame bone splinter" tech component. Thanks for the clarification!!

the drops actualy drop only outside of Aug. A friend and I had to hunt there for quite awhile to get the drops, be sure to have the quest active too or you'll never get the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    It's still WD-only? Thanks for the info.

I've been trying to do the flame breath quest with my younger dragon. The quest log definitely mentions ND. I also spent about 3 days hunting, without flame splinters. Ice bone splinter dropped from northern deadlands just fine when I did the ice breath quest, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    the drops actualy drop only outside of Aug. A friend and I had to hunt there for quite awhile to get the drops, be sure to have the quest active too or you'll never get the drop.
    Humm, I guess I should give this a visit, too.

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

I got mine outside of Aug when I did my quest. Didn't know they dropped elsewhere.

Thread Information