Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

Default Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

Default Re: Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

The thought of control remaining where it is now makes me feel uncomfortable. Remember that fracturing the internet is a simple move of setting up your own DNS servers. I suspect the first nation to make this move would be China.

As to why it is expedient for president Bush of USA to depict the UN as obsolete, untrustworthy, unnecessary, or all of the above, is beyond the scope of the topic.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Default Re: Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua
    You think Unity support for Horizons is bad now...
    I think that has to be one of the funniest things I have read...and it is so funny because it is true.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

If the UN members feel they need to control the internet, then by all means let them create their own.

You think Unity support for Horizons is bad now...
    I agree 100%! It's utter bull to demand some control over it because your country structured so much around it!

They'll never make their own, though. It'd be far cheaper to use the corrupt U.N. to try and forcefully take it.

This is one of those debates or topics of conversation that should be canned and disposed of before people start getting patriotic, and become inconsiderate towards the feelings of others.

If I was reading correctly last night, most of the nations named that were leading the charge have a history ofcensorship in their countries. I'm sure that China, the worst at internet censorship in the world, only wants the U.N. to control ICAAP *SP* for the benefit of the world... Mmhmm... yeppers....

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael
    This is one of those debates or topics of conversation that should be canned and disposed of before people start getting patriotic, and become inconsiderate towards the feelings of others.
    Something wrong with being patriotic?
    "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice." Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael
    I agree; this is a topic some will be unable - or unwilling - to discuss with cool heads. As a patriotic person myself, I felt it necessary to speak up... but I shall refrain from further comments.

Incidentally, this again reminds me why I have in the past supported moves to ban certain topics on boards and channels (politics and religion); nothing fruitful ever comes out of those flamefests.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Quote Originally Posted by Kitimandiri
    Something wrong with being patriotic?
    Nothing wrong with it, not in my book anyhow.

When it comes down to it though, the internet as we know it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for packet switching. This is a technology that was promoted by Paul Baran of RAND and was the culmination of a collaborative effort by engineers from around the world. My point is that the internet was a collaborative effort, however depending on where you go to read up on Internet history you'll more than likely be informed that it was entirely an American invention which is a sour note when relayed to the European engineers who were just as much a part of the development of packet switching networks.

Now see what you've made me do ? I've opened the can of worms [:P]

I certainly understand that America didn't create everything about the Internet by itself. However, my understanding is that our military created the basic infrustructure, and we also helped fund other parts of it.

However, the problem here is that free countries like England aren't leading this charge. The countries trying to us the U.N. to get ICAAP from us are dictatorships and the like. Countries that want to censor anything they don't personally like. Not only that, I definately don't like the idea of getting my email, and lord knows what, taxed by the U.N.!

but isn't the only thing the USA really has juristiction over is the stuff that ICANN does with DNS. Not so much controlling, as it is coordinating right?

I think the U.N. is insane. Especially since they are "a global association of governments facilitating cooperation in international law, international security, economic development, and social equity." I fail to see how the internet falls under any of those topics.
    torvos: shadow/chaos shard (on vacation)
    100 mage/100 wizard/100 sorcerer/100 conjuror
    96 chaos warrior
    100 enchanter & member of the dark council

Explorer 86%, Socializer 46%,
    Killer 40%, Achiever 26%

Quote Originally Posted by Casyle
    I certainly understand that America didn't create everything about the Internet by itself. However, my understanding is that our military created the basic infrustructure, and we also helped fund other parts of it.
    Not 'America'. A "continent" didn't create something You probably meant 'United Statian'.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

If we are going to be picky.

You probably meant: United States of America.
    How do you call someon living there then? Not 'American' since it refer to someone living in America (canadian, Mexican, peruvian, etc). Would it be 'United States of American?
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Canadians are called that because they live in Canada.
    Britons are called that because they live in Britain.
    Germans are called that because they live in Germany.
    French are called that because they live in France and no one can pronounce what they call themselves.
    Italians are called that because they live in Italy.
    Brazilians are called that because they live in the United States of Brazil.
    Amercans are called that because 1) We live in the United States of America and 2) We were the first free democracy on the continant and shamelessly stole the name from Amerigo Vesputchi.

I worked with Canadians, Britons, Germans, French, and Italians during my military career and they all refered to me in some form of: American.

I guess that means we fell short on Manifest Destiny and should have gone all the way North and all the way South? :p :p :p

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoz
    We were the first free democracy on the continent and shamelessly stole the name from Amerigo Vesputchi.
    I am pretty sure the name was stolen long before the US was created. North and South American had already been designated for the continents.

But back to where the topic has lead, Dragon is right, Canadians, Mexicans, and the people of every country down to the tip of South America are Americans. Some are South Americans, some Central, some North, but all Americans.

But to those who get upset over citizens of the US being called Americans, come up with a better name for us. [:D]
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

Personally Idon't care who administers the internet.
    Im sure it wont matter much if it isa US organizationora UN organization, both are slowbeurocratic behemoths.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

You're right Denrath, the name dates back I believe to March 9, 1454 when Amerigo's parents gave him his name and he went on to be a famous mapmaker. It was around long enough to be corrupted to America from Amerigo.

Americans designated themselves as Americans and the world has pretty much followed along with it. Why? Because at the time of the American revolution everyone on the continant claimed alligence to some European power: Dutch, British, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, or German. When the United States of America declared it's independance from Britain, they chose to call themselves Americans. After what the continant was called.

And generally to save confusion, Canadians, Brazilian, Mexicans and the rest usually refer to themselves as being North American, South American or Central American. 200 years is backing the termonology, it will not chage overnight and it seems pointless to try and change it.

But...

All that's neither here nor there. I did a post earlier that didn't stick for some reason and so it was lost, but basically it said that you can share your feelings with the people who represent you on this cause (whether from the US or any of it's outlying European and Asian territories) by visiting the American Government's Website

My apologies for failing to mention Native Americans on the contenant at the time of the American Revolution. They above all others are worthy of the title Americans. :)

UN to control the Internet? What could possibly go wrong? [8-)]

The US and ICANN may not be doing a perfect job administering the Internet, but it is still an open and accessable communications medium. Several of the nations asking to control it are oppressive, some brutally so.I am no fan of the current US President, but I'll give him points for rejecting this proposal.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information