Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

Default Re: Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

Amen! ^

The U.S. isn't perfect, but I think we're doing a good job of keeping the internet a haven for free speach, among other things, while trying to fight child ********, spam, et cetera.
    Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

mindlor

Default Re: Some countries want the U.S. to surrender control of the internet to the U.N....

Here is the thing,

All ya'll are wasting your time because as long as republicans control congress this simply will not happen....

Now if we elect hillay, all bets are off and anything is possible.

Neither of the present options, U.N or U.S.A are acceptable as far as I am concerned. There needs to be a third option. But the US govt won't let that happen because then they might have more trouble surpressing the freedom of expression they like to tout.

Previously the US govt has been the cause of delays in deciding upon and enacting new tld's and no govt should be influcing that imo.

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Bring back the League of Nations! [:P]
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Quote Originally Posted by evilkarl
    Neither of the present options, U.N or U.S.A are acceptable as far as I am concerned. There needs to be a third option. But the US govt won't let that happen because then they might have more trouble surpressing the freedom of expression they like to tout.

Previously the US govt has been the cause of delays in deciding upon and enacting new tld's and no govt should be influcing that imo.

Seriously, where is the U.S.A supressing freedom of expression on the internet? To my knowledge you're free to start up a website and say basically anything you want. *Excluding things that hurt others like Child *********

It should be clarified that what they are asking to control is NOT the Internet itself, but a simple, yet necessary function of it called the Domain Name System. Countries already have control of their own Internet infrastructure, and there are already regional numbering organizations set up to handle the critical IP addressing scheme.

What the idiots in the UN completely FAIL to realize is that they are quite free to set up and operate their OWN DNS system. It is not that hard to set up a separate superset of the DNS system that allows them to create all the tlds they want, and pass through to the US/ICANN DNS. Hell, I used to be part of OpenNIC, who had all kinds of new and different TLDs. I could easily access any of them by pointing my name server resolver to their DNS servers, which would pass through normal ICANN DNS name resolution requests for me as well as the OpenNIC ones. Yes, I am aware that people who use normal DNS servers won't be able to see the other ones, but it is simply a matter of education and spreading the word. Countries could mandate their own DNS supersets, as well as the UN itself.

The Internet is not a closed medium. It is ripe for extension and expansion of its functionality. At any point in time, someone can come up with a new way of doing mnemonic identifier resolution to transport addresses and establish it as a standard. Just write up a RFC draft, and it will get reviewed. Those that want to support it can and will.

ICANN only has control because people give it control. It's not mandatory, and can be worked around with only a modicum of technical chutzpah.

Anyway, it is a strawman that they are bringing the rhetorical equivalent of a tactical nuke to bear upon, when all they need is a match and a stiff breeze to achieve the same end.

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    There is no way in hell I would want germany to be in control of the internet. They are an extremely oppressive society.
    You are joking right?
    either that or you really need to start learning about the rest of the world.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

I agree with Kumu, the US has no reason to do any such thing, if they want control over the internet, then they should create one.

The sheer fact that we've got people wanting to can this post has me falling off my chair laughing uncontrollably. Have you completely lost all sense of what an OFF TOPIC forum really is? This is a subject that is totally worthy of an off topic forum and unless foul language is used, which I'm pretty sure it won't be, there's no reason to OVER moderate here. It also shows which topics some people are overly uncomfortable with. In this case, if they'er not from the US, I can see the comfort issue. If they ARE from the US.....that just opens up a whole can of .....other issues.....
    "Sarcasm! Just one more of the FREE services I offer."

"It was fine at first, but it died quickly." --King Haggard.

YOu all forget that Al Gore invited the internet[:P] [;)]

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia
    YOu all forget that Al Gore invited the internet[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    hehe! That's right! So let's sick the U.N. on Al Gore! Mwuhahahaha!

Thread Information