Thread: Walk-Through Storage Chamber for Dragon Lairs

imported_Mearis

Default Walk-Through Storage Chamber for Dragon Lairs

Hey all, saw this idea buried in an email thread, but wanted to make a seperate post highlighting this idea for ease of visibility. Simple as the subject line. Changing the storage chambers from 1 entrance to 2. Picture a corridor going right through a storage chamber. This change would elminate the requirement of a corridor and a storage chamber per storage by combining them. Again, this idea was not mine (so not taking credit for it), but it is a great idea in my opinion. Soooo, let me know what you all think. :)

Segorian

Default Re: Walk-Through Storage Chamber for Dragon Lairs

Second the motion!
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Could work
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

This is one area where biped silos do shine - they can be crammed together into a solid, ugly alter to crafting addiction. Dragons should be allowed to turn their homes into industrial storage wastelands, too.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

*mutley snicker* you can take the dragon out of the trailer park, but you cant take the trailer park out of the dragon eh?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

"*mutley snicker* you can take the dragon out of the trailer park, but you cant take the trailer park out of the dragon eh?"

ROFL! [:O]

Yes, this would be a VERY nice idea.

I would love that also, as I diagrammed in another thread, the best possible solution would be 12 storage areas per level

SCSCS
    SCSCS
    SCSCS
    SCSCS
    dCDCd

S=storage C=Corridor d=downward spiral D=upspiral (spirals are corner spirals)

SSSSS
    SSSSS
    SSSSS
    SSSSS
    dCDCd

Would = 20 per level if there were 2 exits per storage... now comes the question:

If they add 2 exits to T2 and above storage units, Would you build T2 storage, even though you lose 10K vs. stacking 2 tier 1 storage for 50K vs. 1 T2 storage for 40K if you could put 20 of them on one level?

You would lose 2 entire levels but gain 20 Storage areas on one level vs. 12.

Here is the other solution...

Allow normal corridors to hold 2K in bulk storage (like leaving your laundry in the hallways) which would allow the corridors to act as small tents or something.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage
    I would love that also, as I diagrammed in another thread, the best possible solution would be 12 storage areas per level

SCSCS
    SCSCS
    SCSCS
    SCSCS
    dCDCd

S=storage C=Corridor d=downward spiral D=upspiral (spirals are corner spirals)

SSSSS
    SSSSS
    SSSSS
    SSSSS
    dCDCd

Would = 20 per level if there were 2 exits per storage... now comes the question:

If they add 2 exits to T2 and above storage units, Would you build T2 storage, even though you lose 10K vs. stacking 2 tier 1 storage for 50K vs. 1 T2 storage for 40K if you could put 20 of them on one level?

You would lose 2 entire levels but gain 20 Storage areas on one level vs. 12.

Here is the other solution...

Allow normal corridors to hold 2K in bulk storage (like leaving your laundry in the hallways) which would allow the corridors to act as small tents or something.
    I just wish those were Tier 5 storage... And that tulga would give use serious storage. We do lack 'tent', corridor acting as mini storage.

Imagine a coridor where you could 'hangs' your scales for display, like you got room to store your weapons :)

Having to build 'community' type rooms to get our basic storage is simply cruel.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Thus sounds like a good idea--though maybe complex, but not too complex. I'd suggest just making each storage chamber have 4 exits, with a 4 way path up on the top of the silo.
    ______
    |++++|
    |++++|
    |++++|

with the + being one silo, and the lines being the walls of the lair.

Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

imported_Mearis

My suggestion is simply for the storage units (of all tiers) to be able to walk through. Picture a straight corridor, it only effects the level it is added to, and you can pass right through it. What I have pictured is very simple. The level the storage chamber is added to would be the only level that you would be able to walk through it, above T1 storages take multiple levels as we all know. It would still take the same space on all levels below the level it was added to, and only the level it was added to would be able to be walked through. (hopes for a response from Tulga)

Segorian

I'd amend the suggestion to be for tier II and higher. We need something to make us use those higher tier ones and that might be just the thing.

imported_Mearis

The higher tier silos hold more then the lower tiers.My suggestion is simply removing the need for a corridor + storage for each storage, and instead combining them. Not making "storage bends, storage 3-ways, etc", just a very simple straight corridor going right through a storage unit. So it would have an entrance/exit onthe same floor it was added to. *Hopes for a Dev response* [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Segorian

Quote Originally Posted by Mearis
    The higher tier silos hold more then the lower tiers.My suggestion is simply removing the need for a corridor + storage for each storage, and instead combining them. Not making "storage bends, storage 3-ways, etc", just a very simple straight corridor going right through a storage unit. So it would have an entrance/exit onthe same floor it was added to. *Hopes for a Dev response* [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Segorian
    Most people that complain about silo's above tier I complain that the ammount of storage isn't proportional to the size of the structure. I don't want to restart that old argument as there seems to be a post that's beating it to death already. But putting that sort of thing on a tier II or higher would offset the ratio of storage space vs. size. It would become more useful without getting increased in capacity or stack size.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaunoss
    But putting that sort of thing on a tier II or higher would offset the ratio of storage space vs. size. It would become more useful without getting increased in capacity or stack size.
    I like the idea and to go one step father maybe each tier has more exits. Or maybe move the exits around so they are not all on the same level as they go up in Tier.

I don't like it. Corridors will be made near obsolete by such a thing.

And if you get 4 exits to a silo you can cover an entire floor with them as shown earlier in the thread, and just stuff other buildings whereever you like, as you have connection-points around every square.

imported_Mearis

My idea as I mentioned above is just for 2 exits for the storage units. I did not state it above, but that is the exact reason Ioutlined before regarding no "storage bends/3ways/4ways, etc" is so corridors will still have a function.

Segorian

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    I don't like it. Corridors will be made near obsolete by such a thing.

And if you get 4 exits to a silo you can cover an entire floor with them as shown earlier in the thread, and just stuff other buildings whereever you like, as you have connection-points around every square.
    Why would it matter if corridors were made obselete? I honestly don't think that would happen because corridors have such low resource requirements. If a biped wants to fill their entire plot with silos would you suggest that they be stopped from doing that? I certainly don't think they should. It would fall to a matter of taste at that point. Given the odd shapes of the rooms in tier III and above I don't think it would be all that easy to just fit rooms in. There would however be a lot of murals I think.

I would love to see a walk through for silos. Inex (my dragon) hates having to build all those corridors to connect silos. (I ignore most of his muttering - he's not much into crafting.) Maybe like the t1 shops, they only have 1 exit. As you go up in tier, you get additional exits - so at t2 silo you now have 2 exits from the silo. It's some incentive (beyond the extra storage) to want to build a slightly higher tier silo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alladania
    I would love to see a walk through for silos. Inex (my dragon) hates having to build all those corridors to connect silos. (I ignore most of his muttering - he's not much into crafting.) Maybe like the t1 shops, they only have 1 exit. As you go up in tier, you get additional exits - so at t2 silo you now have 2 exits from the silo. It's some incentive (beyond the extra storage) to want to build a slightly higher tier silo.
    And the extra storage being relative to the increase in size.

I wouldn't mind seeing some silo twice the size of others IF they got something to compensate.
    1 block for 1 entrance silos.
    2 block for 2 entrance silos.

BUT... 6 block for something far from 6 time the size of a previous tier isn't right.

Tulga said when they converted Racial House to Storage unit, that the bulk was determined accordingly to the footprint of the structure. Then, they tell use that size aren't use to calculate bulk but unit. Someone is lying there.

But more entrances would be a great change, along a bulk change.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Thread Information