Thread: What if ?

Default What if ?

In the upcomming battle with Daknors armies, they actually attacked player townsand destroyed or damaged structures.

Before you all go ballistic :)

Structures could be assigned hit points similiar to the old Satyr Island machines. Hit points could be scaled according to tier and building requirements.

To soften the blow, novian resources could be returned at 80 % to the owners vault along with the structure contents.

This would be the REAL war some of us have beem waiting for.

Sharduk

Default Re: What if ?

I would much rather see an invading army attack an established city, like Dralk or Dalimond, etc. If not turned back, the army would attack and potentially destroy something like the city's vault, training center, smithy, or the like, making them unavailable for, say, two weeks or so while the townspeople rebuild it.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    I would much rather see an invading army attack an established city, like Dralk or Dalimond, etc. If not turned back, the army would attack and potentially destroy something like the city's vault, training center, smithy, or the like, making them unavailable for, say, two weeks or so while the townspeople rebuild it.
    I'd have to agree with Tantalyr on this one. It wouldn't be fun to have your plot wrecked. Well it actually might be fun until you survey the damage and have to rebuild afterwards. Would be much better if it was a regular city that ended up needing to have things rebuilt.

Yes, I agree with Tantalry as well. Too much time and effort in building to lose that to the wa.

Mageman

I would like to see towns taken over by the WA but not destroyed, just way too much work and time involved with some plots.

Especially if your building expert buildings!

I'm pretty sure its already been stated that players plots are off bound, but anything empire owned can be destroyed by the WA...

As much as I've campaigned for a full dynamic war vs the WA complete with rewards for victory and consequences for defeat, even I am hesitant about destruction of player plots.

What I'd definitely go for:

Slow Blighting of resources by WA presence in the region (not via patch or some WM flipping a switch)
    Damage of community structures by WA mobs (not via patch or some WM flipping a switch)
    Cessation of function of some player structures: Vaults, consigners, pawnbrokers, bind shrines, trainers, machines (butstill allowaccessibility to storage)
    Blighting (full terrain transformation to blighted land) of lands held by the WA for a prolonged period

And naturally for all of these and existing blighted lands to be reclaimable via the sword and the claw.
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Ask the folks in Old Oaks how much fun it is to have the WA in their front yards. Not destroying anything - just being there. Getting fragged trying to swap armor or add resources to a building is enough of an inconvenience; having the buildings damaged or destroyed would be too much.

Sure,any building on your plot is just a bunch of 1s & 0s in a database. They represent real hours invested, though. Logging in after work and finding out that all those hours of work were reduced to rubble and that you have to begin again - I'm not seeing the fun. Once you get it rebuilt, how long until a WA wrecking crew rolls in and you have to begin again?

Losing access, destroyed community structures - that's enough.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

My friend is in old oaks, and it sure is no fun there right now. Can no longer get my mith and run to his plot to work it.

We know the anchors can blight resources, they have that ability.

I would love to see damage, not instant dead structures, or instant closed portals from WM invasions. Let the WA damage it, as its no fun for it to just happen, the whole wood shed thing was pretty much BS in this event. As far as I have heard from some WMs, its not possible for them to do this properly yet.

Player's plots need to be a protected area... always. If I am on my plot, I want to be safe from constantly spawning mobs. Now if an anchor or something similar advances and takes my plot over, then it is our job to fight back... but to be unable to take back old oaks, and to have those plots useless is wrong.

Perhaps when a city is overtaken by the blight (or by blight anchors), the parts of the city remain intact but slowly lose hitpoints from contact with the blight? So a portal would initially have 1000 hitpoints, but would decrease those hitpoints at 2 per minute while in contact with the blight, giving the Gifted 500 minutes--a little over 8 hours--to recapture the city and drive off the blight before it is completely destroyed and has to be rebuilt from scratch.

And maybe there could be stages where the structures lose their functionality. So machines might lose the ability to work higher tier materials after 1/3 of their hitpoints are gone, or the portals might not connect to some of the more distant gates, or something.

Then, after every invasion (WM spawned or otherwise, and i'd rather see these as spontaneous) there would be a rebuilding process which would could easily require the combined effort of all tiers, depending on how they work it.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    We know the anchors can blight resources, they have that ability.

I would love to see damage, not instant dead structures, or instant closed portals from WM invasions. Let the WA damage it, as its no fun for it to just happen, the whole wood shed thing was pretty much BS in this event. As far as I have heard from some WMs, its not possible for them to do this properly yet.

Player's plots need to be a protected area... always. If I am on my plot, I want to be safe from constantly spawning mobs. Now if an anchor or something similar advances and takes my plot over, then it is our job to fight back... but to be unable to take back old oaks, and to have those plots useless is wrong.
    I'm not sure if I'd agree that plots should be a protected area. That would lead to abuse from people standing just on their plot sniping mobs that ran past. However, if mobs are going to be spawned at or near our plots then we should have some way to beat them back from them. Whether that's killing anchor's or a certain number of mobs doesn't matter as long as there's a way to re-claim lost ground. I'm sure the feedback from the current event would be more positive if there was a way that we could effect the mobs around Old Oaks to make the plots safe again.

Far be it from me to play the devils advocate [:^)]

But war is hell.

I surely hope the hell stays outa my town cause Im to weak to stop it.

Well if the blight spread to town, the first immediate effect could be Shop bonus to craft skills is disabled.

Then after enough time passes, machines become unusable.

Then after even more time, NPC's desert town. This would be consignors, pawn Brokers, Vault Keepers, Trainers. Portalling in and out disabled.

If things still aren't rectified, then finally the NPC Guards (if any) run off as well, and station themselves at the next nearest town(s). Things are getting deperate at this point.

Now, this is what can happen if a town is seiged and the WA are running freely around. If they are being fought off, then none of these things have to go into effect. Only when they get free run of the place, uncontested, would the above start occuring.

What I would truly like to see would be that personal structures aren't destroyed per se, but perhaps blighted. Maybe when they're blighted they lose the bonus, or perhaps they even negatively effect your skill level while working in a blighted shop. However, the only thing that I would hope is that we can take it back on our own terms, which I don't think is possible. By this, I mean that if there's an achor that has blighted the land and we destroy it, then our plots should be restored. Even if it's by crafting an item akin to a blight removal potion, resources, or whatever that reverts the blight effect once the anchor's destroyed...it's something that we can personally control. Rather than the current method of plots being blighted and we basically wait until the event's over for things to be restored. Granted, this probably can't happen, but like the thread says...this is a "what if," so I'd wager that imagination is allowed.
    Carinde "Demigoddess" Ryder
    Citizen of Order, Axe & Anvil Guild

Hey hey, good ideas here! I have always been with the devs on their decision that player built structures will not be targets of destruction in the War. Losing structures that take so long to build would result in angry players. However, losing craft bonuses and ultimately having structures disabled & NPCs fleeing town (yes, I mean vaults and storage buildings too) sounds like an excellent method to simulate war damage without resorting to destroying players' work. Before such a system is implemented there should exist a way to fight back the Aegis. It would not work with how things are at Old Oaks now, as we cannot drive the enemy away.

Incidentally, kind of funny seeing a place making headlines that was named after my suggestion. [;)]

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

When I mean protected... I meant not putting up permanent spawn fields right on top of them like at old oaks.

Yeah the war would be dynamic in the spawns, and the numbers that the WA can throw at us in a given time.

Static spawn/respawns like Old Oaks has wouldn't be a useable method of accomplishing the war/dynamic blight features.

Perhaps the blight anchor system, where the blight anchor has a spawn area or region, can only spawn once or twice a week, to launch it's assault on us. There would really need to be a finite number of mobs it could spawn as well. A few hours worth seems sufficient.

The blight specters could spread the blight storm/ machine disabling/NPC demoralizing effects. The effect could stick around even after the specter is killed, and not clear out until the WA foes are all defeated.

Possible incentive for people to participate in defending the town(s), there could be one random mob which will drop something nice. Maybe a blighted weapon with 3000 charges and guaranteed all positive techs(and useful to the said item, no +50 2 hand crush on a fine large shield please :)

Example:
    Blighted Fine Regal Battle Axe

DPS range: ( what would be expected for a level 105 or level 110 Axe)

+100 Strength
    +100 2 Hand Crush
    +100 Health
    +10 evasion

3% Chance Target Effect: Shreiking Axe

3000 charges, non rechargeable. Deconstructs into arareweapon crystal.
    Example:

Royal Talisman of Crushing +75 2 Hand Crush

Interesting loot that will actually get used, that have a final lasting useable crystal once depleted.

Things like this would get people interested in the raids. I will admit that blighted equipment drops have come a long way, and there are a few pieces I even actually use. But there could still be a bit of improvement.

Thread Information