Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions about a Monk. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gremblthrg
    I remember there being a level 5 quest for Monk's Edge (+10 to hit with unarmed attacks), a level 10 quest to kill maggots, and the level 20 quest to Visit the Disciples, that allows you to join the disciple schools and gives you a medallion (neck jewelry). Also, at level 30 monks get a quest with the reward being Spirit of the Monkey, a passive +30 dex. All these quests are for Monk itself, there are no trainer quests for the disciple classes.
    -Grem
    Currently, there are two pre-20 monk quests.
    1. At lvl 3-5 (not exactly sure). Kill tiny grass beetles.
    2. At lvl 10. Kill forest crawlers.

That's it.

At level 20, there is the disciple quest. That gets very, very interesting on the second leg (flame) when you have to run through mobs (including Cinderfist) who are 63-64 up to 74-75. Fairly challenging for a level 20 monk, isn't it. Luckily the mobs are slow to load in the zone if you just keep running -- you can be out of their aggro range before they fully load in.

Not sure about 30+ plus... haven't got that far yet.

Another issue is putting the Level 1 Monk Trainer in aggro range of a bunch of level 5-6 skeletons and wolves. Rather stupid getting pummeled by a skeleton two seconds after you've initiated a conversation with the trainer for the first time.
    July 12, 2006: "We hear your frustrations, but will not be able to address them all immediately, and maybe some of them ever. Very respectfully and sincerely, David Bowman."

Quote Originally Posted by IvyMindFlayer
    Grem... can you give more info about the +30 passive ability? I have 60 lvls of monk and I wouldn't mind going back and doing that quest. Does it start in Kion?
    Sure thing.. you can do the quest at level 30, and can get it from Hasera Steelclaw, the Kion monk trainer. The quest reward is a passive ability not associated with any schools, so you'll keep it regardless of the class you switch to. I don't know if you'd keep the reward if you drop Monk, but imagine you would keep it.

Ijs, if need be you can port to Kion and head to the monk trainer there; she is on a small island northwest of Kion a short ways; just follow the shore west and you will see. There are some beetles on the way, but they are not aggressive.
    And yes, I don't care for the flame disciple trainers' location either; it got moved from Dralk proper to Wizard Tower because some dragons complained about the roleplay aspects of having a biped in the Lunus HQ / dragon ancestral home. Requests to move the trainer to a less remote and hazardous location afterwords were pretty much ignored.
    -Grem

Quote Originally Posted by Ijs
    At level 20, there is the disciple quest. That gets very, very interesting on the second leg (flame) when you have to run through mobs (including Cinderfist) who are 63-64 up to 74-75. Fairly challenging for a level 20 monk, isn't it. Luckily the mobs are slow to load in the zone if you just keep running -- you can be out of their aggro range before they fully load in.
    I just did this quest a couple nights ago. The mobs do load in slowly, but that presented two problems. First, I couldn't see them far enough ahead to avoid them and then when they did load, they would pop just as I was running by them and they had time to get a swing or two in. So I was taking some licks - at 150+dmg per hit doesn't take long to kill a 400 hp monk. I got down to 1hp at one point, but sprint popped up just in time to save me

I found a way to sneak past the ogres/pygmies in the fortress looking thing that the road goes through, but I couldn't find a way around the others after that. The walls of the road/gully were just too steep. I finally got to the final leg and waited in a safe spot for sprint to re-pop just so I could make it. Very nasty trip for a level 20...

On a side note, once you have made it to the trainer to become a flame disciple, if you change class after that then wish to switch back to flame disc - you can go to the Smeglor NPC in the Isles of Battle (thru the portal on top of the Spire north of Spire's Shadow town). Once you have attuned to the top of the spire, you can port there from Bristugo.

Default Re: A few questions about a Monk. . .

Hello everyone,

I'm an antique that recently returned from hibernation, and I'm looking forward to adventuring a little. Even if I'll have to solo, as it seems...

Anyway. One of my identities is a druid 23 / monk 21 (mage 10, cleric 4), with the idea that monk would provide static defences for the nuking druid. Now, that was many years ago, so I am just looking at it with fresh eyes, and I wonder... Storm Disciple, yes or no? Or even Spirit Disciple, since that way, I have both Spirit and Nature.

Overall the monk classes have changed very little. They've got hand wraps and some fixes to various abilities, but that's about it. Your idea should still hold.

I'd suggest spirit disciple with druid, because, just as you say, you'd get some spirit from there, and apart from magic and evasion disciples bring very little as a multiclass secondary class.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Hmm... Might want to rethink the nuking part now that they've fixed the linked timers on spells you might be standing around for a LONG time once you go through your few AOE spells. The Spirit would give you Eth Paroxysm to add to your AOE arsenal.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Thread Information