Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Query about Channel Etiquette

Question Query about Channel Etiquette

Frequently in some public channel (such as Market, New Player or Dragon) I'll see a player ask a question about either the location of something, or wanting to purchase some player-made item. Oftentimes the question goes unanswered simply because no one then in the channel knows the answer, or no one has the crafting skill necessary to make the item. Occasionally, the lack of a prompt answer will spark some heated remark from the original questioner (e.g. "HELLO! ANYONE OUT THERE???").

So my query is this: Is it incumbent upon the other players in the channel to pipe up promptly with something like "Sorry, I don't know" or "Sorry, I can't make that," or should the original questioner understand that silence means that no one has the information sought, or can make the item requested?
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I assume if no one answes that means no one knows or has what I am looking for or if they do are to busy to offer now. If I am looking for something and My message did not fly by at the speed of chatting I wait a while and throw it up again. If there is a lot of chatting I will wait a much shorter time for a quite period and throw it up again in hopes some one might have missed it.

I do not think it is rude if not one answers me. I try if I see a question pop up 2 or 3 times or on diffrent channels,I try to say "Sorry I know nothing of that", but do not feel I have to say anything.

Vasden

Perhaps everyone in the channel is already ignoring them?

-Vasdenjas-

Aye, I feel the same. I don't feel obliged to answer someones request for a helm with "Sorry I'm a dragon i can't make that item." Sometimes i do feel bad for "new" people who ask questions that either no one has time/knows the answer to, or they ask to have an item made without response.

If no one answers a query of mine I don't really think of it as being rude. I admit half the time i'm not even watching the chat channels heh!
    This space for sale or rent. PST for pricing.

I struggle with this one too, and always have in MMO's. No one likes to be ignored, or even just not acknowledged... trust me, I yell at my kids frequently for not saying "I heard you, I'll clean up in a minute." or something. On the other hand, 50 or more people saying "I don't know" can get very spammish.

So I guess personally I err on the side of figuring that no answer means no one knows, or can't do what I'm asking. It doesn't seem to happen as often in Horizons, anyway, that someone knows the answer to the question, or is able to help out, and just doesn't. That's the great thing about this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    So my query is this: Is it incumbent upon the other players in the channel to pipe up promptly with something like "Sorry, I don't know" or "Sorry, I can't make that," or should the original questioner understand that silence means that no one has the information sought, or can make the item requested?
    Imagine if no one replied to this post, after a long time. It might make you think no one placed any importance on it.

IMO, the same goes for questions. Ideally, they should be acknowleged in some manner. The other side of the coin is if something goes unanswered, it doesn't always mean no one cares about it. I think responding too much is better than none at all, especially with newer players.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

I think a polite reply of some kind is in order when appropriate; "Sorry, no" or "Have you tried XYZ?" or "I can't but so-and-so can" are far better than silence.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Some type of reply should be made, but often the problem is a new player is hardly patient. They jump in with caps and questions wanting them answered now, and will not wait.
    Ideally if some time has gone by without an answer one should be made, but human nature will always cause problems.

If I see a question go by that I don't know the answer too or can't make what is requested, I wait a few moments to see if anyone that does know or can make it responds...if not...I will reply with "No (name of character), I don't know/can't make (whatever question was)". This acknowledges the question...and repeats it for anyone that may now be paying attention to the chat scrolling by and knows the answer to the question. The rate the chat is scrolling factors in to how quick/slow I am to respond.
    Drasdil Redin
    100 Paladin
    Order Shard

What I see happening.. A LOT... is new players requesting crafted items,
    only to be met with silence, even though probably 75% of the current
    MarketPlace occupants can in fact make that crafted item. And I see
    this lack of willingness to craft low/mid level items frustrating a lot of
    new players...
    Got Cowbell?

Default Good post

And its one that I have questions of as well.

A lot of times, folks are in the midst of battle, and cannot answer immediately, by the time they can, the question is no longer there, and yet forgotten. Sometimes, the players themselves, are away from keyboard for extended period of times.

I try to answer some quesitons, that I can answer, but most I cannot answer, and I will usually pipe up with sorry, I do not know.

A lot of the times, people are crafting for their own guild, building their plots, and just can't be interupted. As well as simply not monitoring the chat rooms all the time.

I do my best to answer, but as I said, that is limited.

I can understand if there is no response, the person trying again, and again, but I cannot understand the use of all caps. We had that recently happen in our Market channel, and I taught the person the format to use for asking to purchasing matters, but this person felt that market was ONLY for the selling and buying and non essential talk should not take place. I am not sure if that is the sole purpose of market or not, just to sell, if it was, it would be most boring.

Remember, *its game, isn't it? *g* (heh sorry, had to throw that in)

Patience has to be applied when you are dealing with so many folks in any given channel, on both sides.

I don't know about high-level folks wanting something, but as the "King of Low Level Crafting," I will always respond to new players seeking armor, weapons, tools or containers, because my trade crafts -- long since ignored in favor of construction crafts -- are all inthe 40s and 50s. Part of the problem is that many new players don't know what's involved and oldtimers get frustrated explaining it.

As for oldtimers ignoring oldtimers, I'd guess people are just not watching the channel.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Landowyn

As for oldtimers ignoring oldtimers, I'd guess people are just not watching the channel.

Or maybe we can't read as fast as they type?
    Kwinn
    Mortal Danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas... Erwin Rommel

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Dog: The other white meat

Order Server

Heavily multiclassed Human Hunter, 'overpowered' to the nth degree of beejeezusness and damned proud of it. Nerf me, go ahead make my day

Hummmm Helcat just gave me an idea?

Maybe I will collect up the resources to make weapons of a certain range of level and tell people in New player chat they can come at this time and such for weapons and I'll make them.......

good idea Jayne. I know you would make a lot
    of new players happy doing this.
    Got Cowbell?

I always feel like I am stealing something from that low level crafter if I continually make low level items for people. Since I don't charge for anything I make, is it really fair to take those possible sales from those crafters? I tend to just shut up and wait for the third request before I send them a tell and make whatever it is they need.

Personally I watch TV while playing most of the time, so chat is only viewed about once every few minutes. So responses can take some time. I think this happens with a few people, I've seen answers to questions go up 1/2 an hour after the question was asked.

I've always thought some response is better than none, but can easily understand why people don't say anything. I craft 99% of the time so when adventuring questions come out I tend to keep my big yap shut.

As for the low levels asking for things to be made. I tend not to worry too much about these as I don't want to take away possible sales from those in the level range for that item. I know in many games low level crafters can get really pissed when a high level comes in and floods the market with products they are trying to sell. So I tend to leave it alone unless a see several people asking for the same things constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo
    Since I don't charge for anything I make, is it really fair to take those possible sales from those crafters?
    Therein lies the problem.

We old vets are too ******** rich. We have tons of coin and
    NOTHING to spend it on, so we craft for free... which
    further destroys whatever is left of the "economy."
    Got Cowbell?

I wish I was one of these Rich Vets that you keep talkin about... perhaps because I dont spend like all my time out killin stuff that drops coin all day long I am but a poor dwarf.

I personally have gotten more requests from people directly because someone was smart and checked the /who list for someone that was about the lvl crafter that they needed the item made outta. Whats more, I have seen more times then not, when I actually attend MarketPlace and NewPlayer chat that there tends to be a few that come on to mearly rant about this and that, which really turns me off to the whole thing. Most of the time when I am "in" the channel, I have the thing minimized, and when I get a lull in what I'm occupied with, I'll go back and read what has transpired since my last visit and see if I can help with that. Suffice it to say, I have helped more people by just talking to a few peeps in New Trismus every once in a while then by looking in Marketplace or in NewPlayer.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

this is a big problem from the horizons community

every time a player asks for something (not only new players) then at 90% he gets no answer

10% if someone is in a very good mood or some friends of him are online and they answer.

i always ask myself why the community/spirit of HZ shall be better than in any other game. A lot of players come back or leave and say: hey but it has been the best community...

i dont feel this since the merge.

i tried at the beginning to give new players everytime an answer and if its only a "no, sorry i cant/know"

but its frustrating to be the only one who does (ok i dont see what happens if i dont be online, but i know 6-8 month ago there have been few other players who answered every question)

now even this few got silenced or left HZ

nobody wants to craft for another (no lvl 100 weaponsmith want to craft a t1 weapon for some copper) and so they dont answer to get no order.

OK the Search option is the best way to get an item crafted for you, asking in market not

this behavior frightens all new players

now i accustomed myself to this, im in no guild anymore and i dont feel responsible for any question ^^

Thread Information