Thread: When someone takes a look at the map code...

Default When someone takes a look at the map code...

I'm not sure when someone is planning on taking a look at the map tool, it may not be a project that is slated to happen any time soon, but I wanted to throw out this suggestion for when it does get a once over.

I'd like to suggest that the basic map functionality be increased, for those of us who want a little more than a blank map but not the sheer "show me where everything is" nature of the map packs. This was inspired by the "Ah... the joy of exploring" thread in the General Chatter forum.

1) map icons - use the full colored icons that come with the map packs or something similar if permission to use them can't be obtained. Icons for different types of resources, tiers of resources numerered on the type icons, and different mob types would be wonderful. Each different type of tool (essence shaper, stone pedistal, etc.) should also have its own icon.

2) I think these filters should come with populated data, which isn't anything that couldn't be found on the atlas at horizons.gamersinfo.net. I recall seeing some people have reported problems with switching out of Horizons and back in again, so this gives them the same functionality as needing to run a web browser along with Horizons, which should make the game run smoother as well. The criteria for these map markers are either something that the current map does already, or the items/people are in a town rather than in the wilderness.
    Group Members - Updates their location on the fly like it does currently.
    Players - Updates the location of nearby players as it does currently.
    Trainers, Merchants, Town Residents - Have these three sets of NPCs show up on the town map if inside town boundaries or on the world map if they are outside the town map boundraries like certain dragon trainers are. DO NOT have named mobs show up under this filter the way they do in the map pack. Basically, if they show up in the database that horizons.gamersinfo.net has with a location, they should probably be in this filter.
    City Names - Same filter that we currently have.
    Player City Names - Either include this in city names, or have a seperate layer for it to just show up on the map as a name, no specific hovertext icons necessary.
    Geography Names - Some places are named (like the Isle of the Drowned, Scorpion Island, Observatory Point) and those would probably have a place name similar to player city names rather than a hovertext link. These names should not be lumped in with city names or player city names though.
    Tools - This would include crafting stations in the wilderness as well as teleport landing pads and teleport transport gates. Actually, these could be in the category of unpopulated filters, but I would imagine that a map maker would consider these important details to include on a map, so put them here.

3) I think these filters should come without populated data, but that players should be able to have a way when setting a new marker of putting it one of these categories. That way, we can use the filter to show or hide the data that we have added to that category on our own maps, without needing to resort to a fully populated map pack in order to get the ability to turn on or off layers. Basically, the unpopulated category should cover almost everything outside of the cities and towns, with the exception of trainers located in the suburbs of a town (like the druid/monk/spiritist trainers on NT, or Heraxius and Saphias outside Dralk)
    Landmarks and Points of Interest - These could be in the populated category, to draw people out to see them, but I like that the joy of discovery and adventure in finding new things that would come from letting players put their own markers in for these.
    Monsters- Including the named mobs that current map packs put under NPCs
    Resources
    Of course, those who want the full fledged map pack would then quickly take the current markers and move them into these unpopulated categories, but they still would have the increased functionality of being able to add markers while playing instead of (maybe) being able to code in new markers.

4) The map markers should be common to all characters on an account and/or players on a computer, not specific to individual characters. So I put a marker for a spot that Khaleph finds, Oakleif also has that marker, without needing to copy mapmarker def files around.
    Last edited by Oakleif; June 15th, 2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: formatting and some grammar errors
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

As i can remember in my old elven brain...someone from TG once stated that he wanted to rework the original ingame map.....

It would be really great if the mapmarkers were common to all characters on an account. I copy my def-files around right now and that is a bit tedious.
    Last edited by Caelin; June 16th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.

Chaldor, I think that was the actual terrain images of the map, not the map system. I know that's an ongoing pet project for Frid.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelin
    It would be really great if the mapmarkers were common to all characters on an account. I copy my def-files around right now and that is a bit tedious.
    Couldn't you just make the map def files for your alt chars, shortcut to perhaps your main char. That way the def files should update for each other and they should all be able to see the same ones. I would think that would definately work, unless of course the game is ensureing that the def file isn't a soft link to the real file.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I doubt that would work. A shortcut doesn't work as a mirror of the file it shortcuts to, it *is* a file. Any application that will be able to use shortcuts in said manner needs to be aware of shortcuts. HZ would most definitely simply open the shortcut file and try to load the 1-2 kB of shortcut data in it, not be able to parse it as map markers and dump it or crash.

ed: Of course, if you're running HZ on a Unix system this would work.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Thread Information