Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too-rare technique components

Default Too-rare technique components

What technique components do you think are too hard to acquire? Is it because the monster is too rare or difficult, or that the component doesn't show up as loot often enough?

And while I'm not sure anyone wants to volunteer this information, I'll ask anyway: do you think any technique components are too common? By this I mean that they're much easier to acquire or far more frequently occuring compared to most.

too rare:
    -vextator (you can kill masses from them and dont get enough, and the spawn of this mobs is very very rare)
    -undead stuff (zombie ogre toe/zombie werwolf skull...), the most stuff isnt ingame at all (to loot)

good:
    -golems, everytime i craft and gather t5 stone/metall i get some "unwanted" trophies, but i dont think they are too common

Super-Rare Components: Zombie Ogre Toes, Vexator Fringes, Abomination Skulls. Not only are these beasties difficult to get to and fight, as they are usually accompanied by quite a few "friends," but their spawn rate is low and their comp drops are, to put it charitably, "infrequent."

Common Components: Just about all types of golem fragments. Their spawn rate is high, they're fairly easy to get to and single out for combat, and their comp drop rate isn't bad at all.

That's why on Order you can usually pick up golem fragments for 5 silver each (when there are sellers of course), but expect to pay 20 silver for Vexator Fringes and the like.
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

To me the golem parts drop a lot but I am a dragon and pretty much leveled up on them. At least the Fire opals I had plenty of. I have always had a problem finding Emerald Golems with any decent spawn areas so had trouble finding them. If I could have found a good spawn of emeralds as I could of Fire Opal golems I would find those very easy.

I think most of the problem is finding a spawn of a size that you can hunt at a good rate is the problem. AT least for golems. I think that would be for any. I hear a lot of problems for the Satyr island Mobs because they are so closely packed and takes a lot of work to find a safe area to pull one or 2 mobs and then having to search some where else to find 1 or 2 of the mobs.

Smeglor, With the changes to the spawns of many mobs one could realistically say that has radically altered those component drops of some of the more accessable ones.

I'd have to stand with the others in saying Zombie Ogre Toes, Red and Blue Vexator Fringes, Vet Abomination Chest Skulls all are far too rare. Additionally I'd add Kwellen Energy Nodes as sorely lacking for the T5 set. In the lower tiers I'd say that Wraith Master Ectoplasm also falls in the impossible to find catagory.

I'll add more as I ponder.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Zombie Ogre Toes - While not too difficult to get as a drop, they are super hard to find spawns of. They seem to be linked to have a small chance to spawn when a regular zombie is killed. You can go hours without seeing one.

Vexator Fringes - Both red and blue are rare, but have a decent chance to drop. Finding vexators in any quantity is really tough, so either they need a spawn or a much much higher chance to drop fringes. They are hard to kill for many as well.

Abomination Chest Skulls - I rare ever get these things to drop comps, combined with their random spawns over the islands this is one comp I end up buying.

Kwellen Energy Nodes (though all Kwellens will be similar) - They are just very uncommon spawns, and when they do spawn they gather blights. For most people they are not soloable and have a low chance to drop a comp. They could use a massive boost for a drop.

Golems don't really drop all that much if you straight out hunt them, but since so many craft and hunt there are good stockpiles around and are never shortages of resource type components.

Regular zombies, mummies, skeletons and ghosts all drop decently, but not great... with the old Nadia prices it wasn't a great place to make much cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor
    What technique components do you think are too hard to acquire? Is it because the monster is too rare or difficult, or that the component doesn't show up as loot often enough?

And while I'm not sure anyone wants to volunteer this information, I'll ask anyway: do you think any technique components are too common? By this I mean that they're much easier to acquire or far more frequently occuring compared to most.
    Tier 1:

Too Common: Sand Beetle Carapace

Too Rare: Water Golem Droplet (a rare drop off of only the highest of T1 mobs), Brittle Fyakki Leg.

Too rare: Vex fringes, ogre toes, zombie werewolf skulls, abomination chest skulls, T4+ kwellen parts, skellie sternums, wraith master ectoplasm

Fiery dire wolf fangs, fire beetle mandibles, and flame beetle mandibles are difficult because of limited spawn locations, spawn density, and how social they are. I'm not a mass killer, but you bloody well have to be to be able to survive and do well on Fire Island. I'd like to see a spawn that can be hunted solo by a variety of classes, not just multi-100 folks.

The storm, tempest, lightning, and thunder golems drom comps pretty fairly; but they aren't used for anything that I've ever heard of. Be nice to see them have a use.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

To speak for tiers lower than T5...

FLAME OGRE JAWBONES! Bloody hell the countless hours I spent trying to get these is ridiculous! A friend who I frequently go comp hunting with cringes at the thought of having to get any of these with me. lol

Flame and Fire Beetles Carapaces... Their spawns are so spread out as it is you are running all over the place finding them and the drop rate is too low that you end up spending hours out there, just to get a handful.

Maple Treant Knots.. Yet another HUGE spawn area with infrequent drop rates. Oak is almost as bad.

As AA0 said, golems don't actually drop a whole lot of frags/chips. Especially when you're a single mob killer. Many hours I have spent at the T3 gem golems on Trandalar trying to get the comps I needed..

Shadow spiders - stingy

Kwellen Cinders - the Kwellen in the WD are not only hard to get to, but they are very spread out and mixed in with other undead so that when you do manage to kill a few, not getting any comps off them adds insult to injury. It's too long a run, too hard a trek to their spawning area, too few a spawn, and too low a drop rate that most people just don't even bother with them and purchase from nadia.

And to mention a T5 no one has yet:

Wind Golem Vapors... Again, large area to cover and the drops are too infrequent for their spawn size and rate.

Vexator fringes and most others drop just fine. Zombie Ogre Toes are about the only item I've ever really needed to buy off Nadia (aside from those components that were used in techniques yet not in-game at the time.)

edited to add:

as far as T5 comps that are far too common, I'd have to say Veteran Blight Bindings, Dire Wolf Fangs, Icy Dire Wolf Fangs, Emerald Golem Chips, Peridot Golem Chips, Giant Ice Beetle Mandibles. I have literally hundreds of each of these in my guild chest.
    Last edited by Helcat; June 28th, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
    Got Cowbell?

I agree with the rare suggestions above, along with things like the dire wolf fangs being to rare - eithe rin mob locatin or in drops.

But for me, I've *never* hunted a tech component that wasn't rare. Honestly. Ever. It takes night after night, hunting continuously for hours to get 10, 15, 20 of the dang component things. WHATEVER they are.

I woudl challenge you, the devs, to look at the tech component drop rate and if its requiring more than 10 or 15 minutes to get a single drop, its too long. When one considers that for a full scale or spell set it can take over a dozen of each piece, having to spend 5 or 6 hours continously circling an area killng everythign in sight seems a bit much to me.

And is actually why I still don't have my top tier spells yet. The idea of grinding for two weeks straight on 6 mob types to get the numbers is less than motivating (so its been months....).

To me its not so much as "which ones are too rare" its a much smaller list to go "which ones are easIER to get..."

And the fact that components required aren't in game forcing us to use nadia (who yea..just raised her prices again) to me is inexcusable and unneessary. I should be able to hunt myself for everything if I wish. And not grind for money to buy it.

edit: Helcat how can you say dire wolf fangs are too rare?? When I had to hunt for like 12 It took me, and most nights three or four other guild members hunting for five days STRAIGHT to get 12!! ugg..*spits*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

That really depends on your definition of fine.. Giant Ice Beatles to the single mob killer like me drop at the same rate as fiery dire fangs, or golem frags, etc. They don't drop too often, people just farm them because they are "easy" to do so

Those hundreds upon hundreds of components I mentioned were not intentionally farmed at all. They're just what fell into my lap while training in Conjurer a few months back...
    Got Cowbell?

I agree with the t1 Water Golem Droplets, I hate trying to get them as it can take hours to get a single one to drop (and that's as a L39 ranger!)
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Smeglor - Keep in mind that not all classes can mass farm mobs like Giant Ice Beetles. Where 1 player might have a plentiful supply, another works as hard to get them as any other comp.

Zombie Ogres, Kwellen energy nodes. Drop rates need a huge boost. Finding mobs is rare in the first place, then the drop rate is so crappy you might have nights where you got 0, for several hours of work + a few DP's thrown in. If it's a group hunting, the drop rate is still too crappy, several hours work (mostly looking for these rare mobs, and killing other mobs that are in the way), 0 comps looted, but less or no dp's.

Vexators are a more plentiful mob, but I've killed 30+ before and got zilch drops. These are easier for dragons to hunt. Kwellens it takes a nuker.

Make the satyr island wisps drop random t5 tech comps from the mobs on that island. (They go around mopping up dead bodies, sometimes finding a useful bit)

I'm going to add my 2 cents on the Water Golem Droplets, based purely on my own experience. A little while back I was on Blight checking out the 'rebalancing' of the Named Water Golem spawn, and was running around killing every Water Golem I could find in order to test the spawn rate. In two hours of straight killing (running back and forth between the Lakes and the shoreline) I got almost 30 droplets. That was just in two hours.

Now, take that with a grain of salt however, as I was a L45 Battlemage, so killing them only took a few seconds, so I'm sure I killed boatloads of them - exactly how many, I can't be sure of. A player of equal level to the Water Golems it would have been considerably more difficult, considering the spawn density of the Sand Ogres and Pygmies surrounding the lakes, so trying to single out a Water Golem itself would take quite an effort.

I totally agree that the mobs you have mentioned are the hardest to aquire comps. Its not the drop rate, there drop is the same as anyother mob, the problem is there spawn rate. You may have 4 Ogre Zombies on the whole island as compared to a huge spawn of mithril golems.

Personally I dont want to see it changed. as I have said I like challenge. I want to work for the things that I deem important. I dont want to go to blue vexators and have 4 drop everytime I kill one. if people want it so easy then go get a PS2 and all the games and cheat books you want.

The problem is everyone wants things now, they don't want to work for anything. ******** I mean the biggest challenge we have right now and its even getting less challenging is killing Fafnir.

I dont really have a problem with any of the drop rates or monsters t5 is supposed to be rare.

But then I hunt comps alot, Im not a Crafter at all.
    Warsong
    Paladin/Healer

Don't cry because its over,Smile because it happend

Veteran Abomination Chest Skulls, Zombie Ogre Toes, Blue & Red Vexator Fringes, Kwellen Energy Nodes, Fire Ogre Jawbones and Master Wraith Ectoplasm.

Mostly I would say it's because of the rarety of the spawns. Most of these components are also used in the most popular techs that people use, like all the stat ones. I would suggest adding more spawns but also maybe spreading out some of the techs these are used in to other mobs that drop tech components that aren't used in anything. Like Naghuk Pygmy Ears, Lightning Ogre Jawbones and Tempest Ogre Jawbones.
    ~Robins (Dark Defenders)

(100)Warrior/(100)Ranger/(100)Spearman/(100)Crossbowman/(66)Healer/(20)Scout/(20)Cleric/(15)Druid/(10)Monk

(100)Mason/(100)Fitter/(100)Enchanter/(100)Weaver/(100)Carpenter

(100)Tailor/(98)Jeweler/(84)Fletcher/(71)Alchemist/(80)Tinkerer/(30)Confectioner/(80)Armorer/(86)Weaponsmith

Snibor (Adult Dragon) (68)Adv/(100)Craft/(100)Lair

A lot of folk have mentioned T5 stuff, and having worked it recently, it's a pain, aye. But Frith hit a point that has been "ignored" (or atleast not mentioned much). The bits that we CAN'T hunt for. Not sure how many are left, but I know that Flame, Ice and Imbued Bone Splinters are needed for techs that are REALLY great for dragons, and we were told that their requirement would be changed, but now we have 3 techs that you HAVE to buy bits from Nadia <growls> and now the prices are up?!?

Now, I'm not saying make them easy to get. But LET ME GET THEM!!

Per Amon, from a while back now, the three only drop if you're working the BoF III, BoL or BoI quests. And from experience, both meself, and trying to help other adults hunt them, the drop rate is HORRID.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Thread Information