Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Veteran Players Matter

Amen and Amen, Tantalyr.

Tulga, change course.
    Foxfire Godspell, Ice Queen of Istaria, Dark Defenders
    Manta Guild Community @ Collinswood
    Knoc/Conj, Mastercraftswoman -and-
    Ravagice, Horde Fueled WunderWyrm

Slobberknocker!!! Whoa, Kwinn you always have such a fun way of describing things in Istaria.

I agree, however, with Tant's "rant" and I have long been of the opinion that Tulga probably thinks the best thing that could happen to the game would be for *all* the oldtimers to leave (launch plus 4 days for me). The anchor in the only silk I could cut sent me screaming to Norrath for awhile (i.e., I reactivated my old EQ2 account).

I play these games to have fun, not beat my head against the wall. When that starts happening, I take a hike. And with good friend Archebold gone, I'm probably not far behind him. Hey, maybe I can buy something cool with that $45 a month I'll be saving.

Nice job TG
    Last edited by Landowyn; July 9th, 2006 at 02:50 AM.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Nicely put Tant; we'll see what Monday holds, but I would expect at most a grudging and partial rollback. And "explanations" that lack candor.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelea
    I agree with you, heart and soul, everything you've said, right up to you "and yet..."

You speak eloquently and I applaud you.

And you are being heard. It's the weekend. Please, take a break from this and let us talk about it on Monday?
    Ophelea?.. you are kind in calling Tant "eloquent"... BUT!!!

Say what you mean Ophelea.. no fluff.. yes it is the weekend.. and we feel our weekend was marred by this "return to all things intended".

Tant?! Well said!!!!!
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

As I replied in another thread, we do *NOT* want to get rid of the veteran players. That's just silly - why would we want to do that?

The changes we make are to balance the play experience. We aren't perfect, and we make mistakes. Perhaps Mithril Golems are too rare now. Part of the problem is we have few testers on Blight, so while those that are there do a great job of letting us know how changes to the client and other fixes are doing, we get little feedback on the content changes we make.

There will be a great deal of new, exciting things for everyone, including vets, to hope for and achieve with the upcoming loot revamp. We've been talking about it for a while and are very excited to get to it, but we have to take care of some obligations first (Event, Confectioner).

Like Ophelea said, we'll talk more on Monday.

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata
    Nicely put Tant; we'll see what Monday holds, but I would expect at most a grudging and partial rollback. And "explanations" that lack candor.
    And doubting Kulamata...

*grins*

Sheesh guys! Gimme a weeked before I even TRY to do my job before you declare me bad at it!

Remember, you're not used to having someone like me around yet. (And I didn't say me, I meant someone of my function)

Tigris

Thank you, Tant. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelea
    And doubting Kulamata...

*grins*

Sheesh guys! Gimme a weeked before I even TRY to do my job before you declare me bad at it!

Remember, you're not used to having someone like me around yet. (And I didn't say me, I meant someone of my function)
    Ophelea no one is declaring you bad or bad at your job. Thusfar you appear to be doing rather well. However, as I recall Gale had a position similar to your current one, or at least they were the designated target in the past.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Ophelea

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    Ophelea no one is declaring you bad or bad at your job. Thusfar you appear to be doing rather well. However, as I recall Gale had a position similar to your current one, or at least they were the designated target in the past.
    Yeah, now we've renamed him Kipeo and hide him in dark corners and make him do code and stuff.

Ain't it wonderful?

/me has minions
    Last edited by Ophelea; July 9th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

bullseye tant nicely said.
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

In no way did I intend a personal attack, and if so understood, I apologize deeply.

The "doubting" aspect has roots far in the past, and is a personal reaction to a corporate culture and guiding philosophy that seemed to emerge after the second major layoff.

Well I think you've been doing a great job, Ophelia.
    Got Cowbell?

Hmm, miss the edit button; anyway, I should have added that the increased emphasis on community relations and the evolution of the Gamers' Info relationship IMHO are two of the more positive recent changes. I hope it's understood that the message is what is being attacked, and certainly not the messenger(s).

Tant, You and I have had many disaggrements over the years we have been here.

BUT, I must say, I totally and fully agree and applaude this post.

Well said!

Wow Tant.....just beautiful :-)

Smeglor, we, the veteran players certainly do appreciate the fact that putting together a game of this magnitude is difficult at best. You say that the players on Blight do not give feedback on content for the most part. I think maybe what you have all overlooked here is that we, the players on Order and Chaos are doing just that, giving you all feedback, not complaining. WE ARE TRYING TO HELP. We are trying to make this game work for all of us, and are being made to feel like we are a bunch of whiny babies.

The veteran player is able to work tier VI and build tier VI. Are we not supposed to want to do just that? When we can pop a j/man shop in a weekend, or build an outpost in less than 2 weeks, doesn't that tell you, the developers, we are hungry for something to do? We are intelligent people, we want a challenge, we want to THINK.

Please don't make us feel like when we think and provide feedback that we are complaining. Please don't make us feel like we should not want to progesss on to the harder projects. PLEASE, PLEASE don't make us lose our sense of community and working together by making us compete for resources.

If the players on Blight cannot give you the feedback you need, let us fill that role and take what we say seriously. Our love of this game has kept us here for 2 1/2 years. We want to stay. We want to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeglor
    As I replied in another thread, we do *NOT* want to get rid of the veteran players. That's just silly - why would we want to do that?

The changes we make are to balance the play experience. We aren't perfect, and we make mistakes. Perhaps Mithril Golems are too rare now. Part of the problem is we have few testers on Blight, so while those that are there do a great job of letting us know how changes to the client and other fixes are doing, we get little feedback on the content changes we make.

There will be a great deal of new, exciting things for everyone, including vets, to hope for and achieve with the upcoming loot revamp. We've been talking about it for a while and are very excited to get to it, but we have to take care of some obligations first (Event, Confectioner).

Like Ophelea said, we'll talk more on Monday.
    Thanks Smeg.. but I think the point is this... you can't expect a MAJOR change like the reduction of thornwood and travertine.. the original concept?.. to be met with open arms. If it is wrong in the first place?.. Then maybe it is the Developers that need to move beyond the problem and leave the expectation of current players as is.

Please change the loot table.. please make Nadia's prices unbearable... add the new confectioner forms... But!! do not stop the NATURAL progression of a vet player by going backwards.

Speaking of confectioner?... Will some food stuff be just as hard to get? That is alright.. if you set the expectation at first and then add to it and not subtract.

Please continue in your work on content and progressing the world.. but not by stopping the progression of HZ's Core players.
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalyr
    Shoot, some of us--more than a few of us--actually bought another subscription or two just to help your cash flow.
    Yep I did the same, got me two accounts mostly to help out TG

and speaking of Vets, TG still doesn't want to give my name back to A loyal Vet player that I lost to a sleeper account during the merge and best of all this sleeper account has never logged in.

Blue,

and speaking of Vets, TG still doesn't want to give my name back to A loyal Vet player that I lost to a sleeper account during the merge and best of all this sleeper account has never logged in.
    As long as that account is a paying account it has as much right to the name as you. Your situation and your concern has not been ignored.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Smeglor, thank you for responding here, and I do indeed look forward to a candid, and I hope fruitful, dialog on the morrow.

Please understand that I in no way believe, nor by my post did I intend to convey, that you (and by "you" I mean throughout this post all of the owners and developers, not simply you specifically, Smeglor) have embarked upon a course deliberately designed to force veteran players to cancel their accounts. What I intended to convey--and perhaps I was indeed inarticulate in doing so--is that by your conduct, and by your responses to posts about them, you have caused the vast majority of your veteran players to feel that we are easily expendible. That our wishes, our concerns, our fears have little currency with you.

While you may well say that the extraordinary diminution--indeed, near eradication--of Tier VI resources has been planned all along, that such has been the design of the game since Day 1, I can assure you that that comes as quite a shock to me (and I daresay the vast majority of your veteran player base) as neither I, nor any of the large number of veterans I have spoken to in game or via PM's here, can recall any such announcement until Amon's post in the radiant wisp poll thread just a couple of weeks ago.

To the contrary, the design progression of the game has led us all to reasonably believe that Tier VI resources, while perhaps guarded or otherwise risky or complicated to obtain, would nevertheless be available in quantities similar to Tier I-V resources. Prior to merge, Tier V resources did not exist. But you implemented them right after merge in numbers similar to the availability of Tier I-IV resources. And then a bit more than a year ago, you put in the first Tier VI resources--a giant thornwood forest (guarded by formidable thornwood treants) and a large field of travertine (guarded by equally formidable travertine). Because you never told us then, or up until Amon's abrupt post, that this forest and field were simply temporary, we came to reasonably assume over the past year that yes, Tier VI resources would indeed be implemented in similar fashion, just like the Tier V resources were done. But upon short notice, all those expectations were shattered.

You simply cannot build up justifiable, reasonable expectations on the part of your player base, and then knock them over like so many tenpins with the Giant Bowling Ball of Nerf. Not without consequences. And oftentimes terribly unfortunate consequences for both you and your player base.

You and your player base have today lost one of the great legends of the game, one of your greatest supporters, in the person of Archebold Tearnan. You smashed his expectations one time too many.

Are we, the veterans, that expendible?
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Thread Information