Thread: Buying VS Hunting for comps - not working

Unhappy Buying VS Hunting for comps - not working

Okay this post is along the same lines as Aaelefein's (guild buddy) post on Nadia. I am a fairly new player and will have been part of this fun community 1 year next month. Now I just recently learned of the existance of Nadia and ended up buying some hard to come by comps from her. I now understand that she was supposed to be a temporary feature and she is going away. I guess to discourage players from using her, the devs have raised her prices way above what ordinary players can afford. If she is going away then the drop rate for comps needs to increase so that everyone can still have the option to get teched items.

I realise that I can still play the game without teched items but that puts me at a great disadvantage to the players that have been around much longer. When I go on guild hunts, I feel pretty much useless because most of the higher level guild members are teched to the max with spells, armor, and weapons.

Because of the changes with Nadia, my guild has decided to do comp hunts for T1 - T6 comps that may be needed for current and future teching. However, a couple of high level players have just spent several hours going after the undead for needed comps with no luck. Not one single item needed was dropped. Since they are high level, they can take on mobs fairly easily and plow through them quickly. So the kill rate vs the drop rate seems to be out of proportion. Even if I decide to hunt solo for comps that I need, I end up earning enough XP that by the time I get all the comps, I am above the level of armor, weapons, or spells that was I working on and need new comps for the next level.

If the devs want to get rid of Nadia and don't revamp the drop rate, then the ability to tech items should be removed as well. That includes getting rid of dropped techs and the ability to buy techs. What is the purpose if there are little to no comps being dropped? Please either do one or the other and quit frustrating the lower level, severly underteched players.

Please use this thread (http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14223) to discuss specific issues with tech comps.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    Please use this thread (http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14223) to discuss specific issues with tech comps.
    No direct offense to you... but... Each and every time we've talked about spawn rates & drop rates for comps and higher level mobs, they immediately get nerfed... Now ask the question... Who in their right minds is going to tell you what they have difficulties gathering so you can nerf them further?

This might sound bitter... But that's all we've come to know, things don't get better... They get nerfed! That's the overall design of the game!
    100 Chaos Warrior, Cleric, Conjurer, Druid, Guardian, Mage, Monk, Shaman, Spiritist, Warrior
    82 Healer, 61 Wizard, 57 Sorcerer, 27 Battle Mage
    ------------------------------------------------
    100 Carpenter, Confectioner, Blacksmith, Enchanter, Tinkerer
    92 Mason, 91 Gatherer, 87 Weaver, 82 Miner, 78 Outfitter, 78 Tailor, 58 Alchemist, 57 Fletcher, 35 Fitter, 26 Scholar

I'm coming to the tentative conclusion that a vision of how the game "should" be played is at the root of the continuing missteps.

I think the only viable vision is to maximize choice; no guiding philosophy that is more restrictive can maximize the enjoyment of both those with ratings over 150 and the mother of 3 young kids who steals a little time to play three or four hours a week.

Notions such as "players should hunt for comps" will be great for some and restrictive for others. Hz started out as a game for all, the casual and the dedicated, and came closer to achieving that goal than any MMO seen til then.

Imposing "shoulds" by warping the original conception may be one reason why the veterans, with their longer memories, are so up in arms about the continuing journey away from the original ideals.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata
    I'm coming to the tentative conclusion that a vision of how the game "should" be played is at the root of the continuing missteps.

I think the only viable vision is to maximize choice; no guiding philosophy that is more restrictive can maximize the enjoyment of both those with ratings over 150 and the mother of 3 young kids who steals a little time to play three or four hours a week.

Notions such as "players should hunt for comps" will be great for some and restrictive for others. Hz started out as a game for all, the casual and the dedicated, and came closer to achieving that goal than any MMO seen til then.

Imposing "shoulds" by warping the original conception may be one reason why the veterans, with their longer memories, are so up in arms about the continuing journey away from the original ideals.

Well stated... Thank you..
    100 Chaos Warrior, Cleric, Conjurer, Druid, Guardian, Mage, Monk, Shaman, Spiritist, Warrior
    82 Healer, 61 Wizard, 57 Sorcerer, 27 Battle Mage
    ------------------------------------------------
    100 Carpenter, Confectioner, Blacksmith, Enchanter, Tinkerer
    92 Mason, 91 Gatherer, 87 Weaver, 82 Miner, 78 Outfitter, 78 Tailor, 58 Alchemist, 57 Fletcher, 35 Fitter, 26 Scholar

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelea

Smeglor is collecting data in this thread. That is all.
    Ophelea, not long after launch, a question very like that one was posed. The community answered honestly, and immediatly thereafter the dropped componants needed for the majority of the most desirable techs - that is, T3 golem fragments - were decimated. The frags dropped far less often and the spawn of T3 golems was cut back harshly.

The result was massive camping, price gouging, kill stealing, and widespread anger.

I'm not saying this is the same situation at all. I'm saying the player base has been burned badly in the past. Telling us to "get over it" is not good advice and not constructive in the slightest. If you want wounds like that to heal and want the player base - especially the vets that remember those times - to move on, then show it in actions.

I'm not saying this as a whine or a complaint or a slam. This is a fact of history. History shapes who we are today. The actions to come will shape who we are tomorrow. I'm hoping the actions to come Smeglor's thread do correct the errors of the past, because I for one am tired of living with those errors.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Tigris

Might I suggest putting loot information, in a factual manner, in the dev's thread, and keep the anger and ranting in this one? Cause I'm seeing some of both.

Ophelea> Your dealing with game vets that are really quick to be defensive, coming from being burned a lot. A lot of us will be very slow to make 'suggestions' now, for fear that they will be warped into new nurfs. That's been happening to us a LOT. We've been getting the nurf bat a lot, and after you beat a dog so much it comes to EXPECT the beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelea
    But I just asked to post in the other thread so all of the data is collected in one place.
    I understand. My post wasn't to provide data. It was to explain why some folks might be wary of providing that data.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information