Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MMORPG just posted an interview they did today

Any attempt to balance existing classes for PvP WOULD impact existing servers and gameplay. Totally new classes might work, on totally new servers - but while EI is developing that, what will be done for the original game?

Preserving the current game while exploring new options on new servers... Does that mean that the development efforts will be on these "new options" and the original game will be left in its current state with no further development done on it?

A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Default wish it would be that easy

if the PVP rules dont touch the PVE servers I bet its a good thing for the game. They need to find a way to attract more paying customers or we will be sold again or go down under finally after all this - reach around the hot potatoe - kind of thing.

Iam willing to take a few changes in order to see the game staying alive, aslong as Iam not forced to live in a PVP environment. <--- omg how is that word spelled ? lol sorry for crappy english.

Hmm doe's no one marvel at how Mr Bowman and crew apear to have sidestepped the train again? I want some of whatever he's drinking!

Tigris

What I read:

Wait so we're THROWING OUT the cooperative spirit of Horizons in favor for race wars, and we're not even sure we'll keep the origonal employees who made the game.

Did I read that right?

PSSSSH If they want Horizons PVP, they better fix the class imbalance!

Did I read that right?
    ... Tigris:

yup.
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

relax on the pvp issue people. First off, EI has at least a half of a year of work on their plate before they even BEGIN to think about changing content. TG has already laid out the ground work for what EI will be doing for the forseeable future - lets focus on that for now, and worry about PvP later.
    Last edited by Peaches; July 21st, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
    Hiko - Former Defender of Shadow
    100 Knight of Creation Hybrid
    -= Disciples =-
    BOYCOTTING THE SUMMONED SHIELD OF CREATION AS OF JULY 17TH, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Hiko
    rTG has already laid out the ground work for what EI will be doing for the forseeable future - lets focus on that for now, and worry about PvP later.
    I'm not sure that that is the case at all - EI has absolutely no obligation to do any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Valornyx
    I'm not sure that that is the case at all - EI has absolutely no obligation to do any of that.
    they seem to have little choice. Anything new they want to do and have not already worked on will take too many months to complete, and they know they will lose too many subs if that is the case.

Edit: I mean lose subs because people quit playing games that do not progress - not talking about this walkout that some people are apparently planning.
    Hiko - Former Defender of Shadow
    100 Knight of Creation Hybrid
    -= Disciples =-
    BOYCOTTING THE SUMMONED SHIELD OF CREATION AS OF JULY 17TH, 2006

Chayls

I don't post here often but I love to play Horizons when I can. It is much more friendly in the sense of groups and community. The crafting system makes it worthwhile the things you are building be it a weapon or a house.

However I will say that if any plans for PVP come into this game I am cancelling my account. If people want to PVP go join WOW or EVE online or any number of Korean games, but leave Horizons PVP free. In my experience PVP only leads to the breakup of communities over things like class balances (Oh no that hunter can one shot my mage it is so UNFAIR fix it so I can do it, etc.), loot acquistion (Who wants to join a guild of 39 other grunts just so they can farm a dungeon all day to acquire "Shiny sword of smiting" or some nonsense that allows them to kill with one swing anything they touch and is probably better than anything a crafter makes). It also brings in all sorts of trolls and gankers who do like to do nothing but PVP and then disrupt any RP like events just so they can kill someone and clutter the forums with their whinings.

I have played WOW after playing Horizons I thought WOW had promise to be like Horizons (as that is what they were claiming with their casual friendly attitude) but it quickly turned into a PVP gank and raid fest to get all the best loot and equipment and allowed folks who wouldn't play MMORPGs into the system (Granted this can be good but most of those players were those who played FPS and have the must kill everything that moves mentality as well as I am invulerable I should deserve better loot). In my opinion Horizons is way more causal friendly that WOW will ever be and I would like for it to stay that way with its rich PVE enviroments and crafting system (the only one that I found to be the most complex than any other crafting system in MMOs).

Chayls

Oh come on y'all... how many of you Unity players wouldn't like to catch me unaware in a dark mine somewhere in Istaria?
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

they would feel bad for beating on a senior citizen though
    Got Cowbell?

To develop a race wars version would certainly have a cost of opportunity, in that other uses of the same development resources were not being done...

Also the idea of dryads vs. guhnomees? And how much gore would there be? A really, really bad idea on several levels.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by D0ZeR
    While Andercheck says he has no plans to radically change Horizons, he added that his team was intrigued by the original Race Wars concept for Horizons. As some may recall, under its original design, all the races of Horizons would have been at war in a PvP-oriented title. Andercheck was clear though that he does not plan to alter the current game world, but will evaluate this and other concepts as options for entirely new servers.
    Low-budget PvP game is what I'm thinking they want to develop. Swell.

Don't think EII have the resources to split development of content for both styles of play. If they're gonna make new servers for totally new gameplay design, the 'classic' ones are just going to be put out to pasture, I'd think.
    Last edited by Khosadan; July 22nd, 2006 at 01:41 AM.

{Helian Dragon} -------- {Order Shard} -------- {My Photo Album}

I expect LO is right, if they go down the PvP path, it will have a considerable impact on any PvE server, unless they go down the path of 2 totally sperate development paths. The need to establish a different balance between races & classes etc will require considerable change to the existing game "balances".

I don't believe it is possible, at this point in the game's life cycle, to reasonably add PvP in any form.

Darksun

To repeat, they specifically said PvP would be a seperate server. They wouldn't push it on existing servers.

I could see them making a varient of HZ for PvP race wars. Think of it as a new game using a lot of the pieces of HZ, so it would be far cheaper to develop then a whole new MMORPG would be from scratch, but would not necessarily change the way the existing HZ operated. It would be operated as a wholly seperate MMORPG.

However, to do that they'd still need two teams -- one for HZ and one for the new game. For a company with 7 employees this seems a stretch.

It looks to me like HZ is awefully big for a company with 7 employees to handle. They're going to have to expand very rapidly if they're going to be able to handle it and make it prosper, let alone make a derivative MMORPG from it.

As for me, I just don't see myself playing a PvP game if given a choice. While it might be preferable to ToA (all they have to is ditch permadeath for that) PvP is not something I'm really interested in.

First off, how many employees do you think tulga had? Wasnt more than 7 btw.. (thats a hint)

Secondly, the guy just said he liked the race wars idea of DAs Horizons.. Then to allay some peoples potential fears he followed it up with IF they ever pursue anythign liek race wars it would be on a completely new server and not impact the game that players have apparantly come to love.

Cheers

i dont like random pvp

but whats wrong about pvp areas/arenas

and the racial idea of the original HZ is very interesting, i look forward what they are planning with this old concept

Default Hrm...

I'm completely against ANY PvP until my fears are allayed.

I understand that they are considering it on a seperate server, but... When the demands/whining/whatever you want to call it comes, and it WILL come, for balance, can they do that on just the one server?

Let's say there are tons of calls to weaken, say, Goldstrike, because it might be very unbalancing in PvP. Can they "balance" that ability only on the PvP shard without changing it on the normal shards?

I started in my beloved UO, then to AC, then AC 2, then HZ. No matter what the devs said, changes were made to accomadate PvP'ers. That's why I left AC 2, though I loved the game. My mage/enchanter class was nerfed straight to hell because they had some spells that made 'em arguably the best PvP class.

I'm just sick and tired of fearing that my race/class is going to be nerfed because of PvP, and it's always happened so far, so I'm very distrustful of any PvP anymore.
    Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

We've been down this path before Dotcher =) that list is not up to date and does not only contain full time PAID employees of Tulga. It includes people no longer with Tulga as of 2 months ago and unpaid interns as well as contractors like yourself and Ophelia.

Anyways not pointing fingers just pointing out that Tulga ran for a long time on 7 devs.. months infact.

AmonGwareth
    David Bowman
    Dennett-TG
    Fedyakin
    Illyist
    Reyem TG
    RichardWu
    Rick
    Smeglor
    Tango
    vexare
    zoarre
    Enkuklios

As of two weeks ago, still missing about 5 people... So yes, more then 7.
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Thread Information