Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: To the Players and EI

Dravatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin
    ...Maybe it feels like it but a huge barrel of fire crackers JUST WENT OFF on EI... They are listening, they've shown they are listening... they just haven't been good at communicating to /everyone/.
    "It is difficult to remember the objective is to drain the swamp when you are up to your keister in alligators." - unknown -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiroc
    TG was doing a good job with this, you just outline what is going to be done in the next few months and within that year, Im sure EI will do this also but what he originally posted was saying they don't have to listen to anyone about their game they purchased from TG. I disagree with that statement.
    And if you recall... I believe TG sucked things I may not mention when they first took over and there was little to no communication to begin with. Just like it is with EI. Yes, later in the game they became EXCEPTIONALLY awesome at telling us what's up, what's happening.... well.. exceptionally good at telling us "what's up what's happening" that took a year to actually happen... But, TG was not as awesome as they were in the end... to begin with. People forget that, maybe they'll forget it about EI too once time moves along.

Dravatar. I love that quote =) It rocks =D I believe it too. Couldn't have been said better =)

I read the first post, I'm not going through the rest of them. I will state, that the population is dwindling, and is not being replaced. There is not advertisements or repacaging to attempt to do so. So as far as I can see it, EI does indeed own the game, but they will not make any money off of it as long as they can't make the players happy. In this respect, I do say the players should have more power, if the company owning the game is paying attention. If they are not, then that is their own fault, and the company and game will go bankrupt... unless of course they are funded well from another source.

Default Funny

I met some new players today, that had just started out this very day.

I never claimed there were none, but the question is: Is it exeeding the drop off rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    Does that mean that EI is allowing people to create new accounts, even though they can't cancel them? I thought no one could make new accounts, or even try the trial due to this issue at this time.

Has that changed, or have I misunderstood?

Default That, I do not have any specific information

I recently spoke to two brand new players that started yesterday.

As far as the other information you seek, best to email EI.

Cool Brilliant!!!

Kwinn ol'man?.. Bloody Brilliant!!!
    As a Cleric of Harden I am duty bound to teach you his ways.
    or kill you trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches
    That is because you can create a Free Trial again. Of course, thankfully, you don't need to enter in your credit card information (despite message boxes claiming otherwise) to actually play.

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin
    And if you recall... I believe TG sucked things I may not mention when they first took over and there was little to no communication to begin with. Just like it is with EI. Yes, later in the game they became EXCEPTIONALLY awesome at telling us what's up, what's happening.... well.. exceptionally good at telling us "what's up what's happening" that took a year to actually happen... But, TG was not as awesome as they were in the end... to begin with. People forget that, maybe they'll forget it about EI too once time moves along.
    TG wasn't that awesome at the end either when they "forgot" to "what's up what's happening" tell they were selling...

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Talking

TG seemed to only be "awesome" about communicating ideas and "plans" for HZ that they never got to implemented or never intended too due to the sell. I just hope EI won't be as underhanded, and I have confidence they will.

Dravatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    TG wasn't that awesome at the end either when they "forgot" to "what's up what's happening" tell they were selling...
    They were under direct orders to not discuss it. That was their job and they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebillis
    TG seemed to only be "awesome" about communicating ideas and "plans" for HZ that they never got to implemented or never intended too due to the sell. I just hope EI won't be as underhanded, and I have confidence they will.
    There's nothing underhanded about sharing a dream. Reality throws all of us curve balls. It wasn't any of the TG staff that sold the company.

We can bid a fond farewell and wish hopes of future success to the staff of TG. We can look forward with great expectations to EII. Finger-pointing at either company does no one any good and merely serves to inflame.
    Please stop the finger-pointing. It doesn't do the community any good.

Thank you
    Last edited by Dravatar; August 15th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

*just wants to point out*

I was just saying that EI and TG are a lot alike in the beginning. I wasn't intending to bash either =p I do hope the TG team takes off and finds something else of interest to put together =) I'm rooting for em! Was just saying... ya.. EI might not be communicating a lot now, but nor did TG when they first had the reigns. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dravatar
    Finger-pointing at either company does no one any good and merely serves to inflame.
    Please stop the finger-pointing. It doesn't do the community any good.

Thank you
    Amen to that Dravatar!!

Didn't your mommy ever teach you it is not polited to point?

/me is reminded of how her youngest use to use his middle finger rather than pointer finger to point.

Had to teach him it wasn't polite to point for multiple reasons.

You guys sure know how to send mixed messages. Hell, I don't know if I should start handing out pom-poms or shovels!

On the one hand, many are hacked off about a number of serious mistakes EI has made in its short time with the product. And rightly so, considering you wont know if you are a victim of identity theft until it is too late. Doom and gloom, you say? Check out the non-profit sites that assist folks with rebuilding after such a theft. They can't let it be a form of ducking debt, so it ends up being excessively difficult to clear your name.

On the other hand, folks are dancing in the dasies and passing around the peace pipe, and shouting to the sky about how we will see how everything is wonderful if we just give EI time to prove it. Hey, it is mathmatically possible!

I am all for a positive attitude, but lets not let them off the hook either. Give them more time if you wish, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Hell, it improves the chances for everyone else too. But do so in an informed way, not one where you just close your eyes and pretend that things are progressing as they should. Let them know that while you are giving them more time you are not forgetting the past mistakes, because the past is very relevant to the future.

You don't have to try and push them around, but you don't have to let them push you around or ignore you either. When all is said and done, vote with you wallet.

The way it stands now you are pretty much just telling them they don't have to do a damned thing to earn your subscription fee, because no matter what they do you are going to keep paying it.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

Theolaerynn:

You and I have been at odds on some topics. That's okay by me...

However, on this topic, we agree. You have said what I have felt, and you said it very eloquently.

Thank you.
    http://horizons.gamersinfo.net

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
    Max DePree

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens.
    Benjamin Disrael

Xorith

1) Cancelling accounts. You're not currently paying (or well, I'm not). To cancel an account, you simply remove the subscription. EI did this for you, only they also allowed you to play without a subscription. In essence, everyone's playing HZ for free, or will when they get things sorted. If you're still getting charged, I'd dispute it with your bank and EI.

2) The thought that because you have paid, or are going to pay, for this service means that you own it or have any sort of right to it's future development is flawed. Your only choice is to either pay for it and play it, or to not pay for it. You don't walk into a grocery store and tell the manager that you demand he change something because you have a vested interest in his store, since you just bought $100 of groceries there. No, you simply go to the competition next time. That's the beauty of being a consumer. Folks, Horizons is a service, much like any other service. Your payment per month only entitles you to accessing that service, and in the case of Horizons and their plot system, one plot per subscription. That's it. REAL vested interest in a company is when you actually purchase stock or give money in the form of an investment into that company. Unfortunately, that sort of investment isn't a mere monthly fee, but usually in the sum of several thousands of dollars.

In the end, all you can do is post your thoughts and concerns. The best way to do that is to post them calmly, and let them be. To go off, flaming, bashing, and otherwise disrespecting the company that provides the service and these boards is to show that you have no intention on helping to better the service. (Note: Bettering something is global, not just limited to you and your situation. Hence why things such as 'class balancing' in games take years to complete. You have to ensure that what you change in one place won't put half the community in an uproar.)

Now, I won't comment on anything EI has done (aside from the billing change... ugh, had to edit this part) I haven't been here for it. You can go ahead and tell me that I have no leg to stand on because of that, but then you'd have missed my point. Honestly, I emplore you to look at a game made after popular space-fantasy movie, and look at a change that came about over 9 months back. Look at how angry that community got, and look at how little that parent company cared. In the end, they're still getting subscribers and customers. The old ones that were offended left, and were replaced by new ones who knew nothing but the new way of things. That's the way this sort of thing works, folks.

So good luck in whatever you choose to do. If you wish to look like a fool by throwing a temper-tantrum before swearing you're going to cancel your account that isn't even technically active anyway, then so be it. Just don't be surprised if EI starts helping you with that, and don't let the door hit you on the way out, either. Otherwise, why don't we start some more constructive threads? Here's a thought - start a thread, discuss some feature (Stay ON TOPIC), and then have someone do a write up of the overall discussion and submit it to EI? Hey! That might actually get you somewhere

spot on Xorith
    Got Cowbell?

Clear out your PM's Helcat.....

Jayne

Sorry if my last statement was a bit rude or seemed like I was finger-pointing, but in my own defence I felt rather burned by TG when all their plans turned out to just be ideas and nothing more.
    I had ALOT of faith in TG that they had more. 3D models, some code written up already for some of their additions into the game (i.e. furniture, dwarven housing, and dryad buildings) something a bit more substantial then someone saying "Hey this sounds like a great idea". My limited knowledge on what was happening with said things is probably to blame.
    I personally am very optomistic that EI will pull through if we give them the time to learn the insides of HZ. I also wish the best to TG, I'll just have to get over myself I guess .
    Last edited by Dravatar; August 16th, 2006 at 04:21 PM.

Thread Information