Thread: Combat has been slowed down since 1+ year ago?

Default Combat has been slowed down since 1+ year ago?

I played a little bit tonight (since its free), but I noticed that combat is noticeably SLOWER than it used to be. Special attacks take ages to fire!
    Its like playing in slow motion....

As I recall it the game was much faster 1+ year ago...

Or maybe I have become faster... but I think its the game..
    Has there been a slowdown of the combat server? or added delays?
    Rhialto,
    100CHSW/100WIZ/100CON/100CLRC
    The Iron Watch
    Ice Server

Default Could it be lag?

My battles seem to be just fine, no slow down , not even casting slowdowns.

I donnt think anything changed for attack speeds. At least nothing i noticed.
    But maybe you are used to delay improving buffs and didnt use them this time? Alacrity V is 25% attack speed. ANd there are more delay improving buffs/items/abilitys
    Enisha Dryad 190/234 Caster (retired)
    Enix Dryad 165/100 Heavy Melee (retired)
    Enigma Dragon 100/92 Helian (retired)

Unity

Back in the day, special attacks weren't affected by regular attack delay or vice versa, so you could attack faster than just using regular attacks; that's been changed for a long time, though I'm pretty sure it was changed longer than a year ago.

Oh, and attack speed cap was lifted, so it's possible to attack faster now than you could a year ago, if you have powerful delay modifiers. It used to cap at 1 attack round per second (though that could be multiple hits, such as with flurry), but now it's possible to get attack rounds shorter than half a second. That change was done ~January.

Well I might have been more than 1 year ago...
    But it felt more than 25% difference.

Maybe I am used to playing faster games (WoW) nowadays and notice the slow speed much more now.

Its like hitting a button and actually waiting for the special strike to go in ..

I also still have the problem of pressing buttons like multicast followed by fiery strike and then see the multicast has not been
    recognised... So I think a longer queue is still needed. And just beef the attack speed up 2x or so... this must be possible with 50 people online!

Otherwise this way I fall asleep while fighting. It felt almost as bad as crafting... Make it 0.2 sec per attack or so... that will keep the adrenaline pumping a bit.

Maybe I just forgot how HZ felt... but these Harro defenders are tough I must say.. they one hit half of my health off through mithril... ******** better use stun, binding crystals and foresight for them.. to soften them up before going in for the kill.

It was nice to be in the game again though.... however With the current state I thik after some sightseeing there is still no Elder game goal for adventurers. The same old complaint... i know... but still something still has to be done for adventurers.
    Rhialto,
    The Iron Watch
    Ice Server

Keep in mind that UI responsivness is tied to the client's FPS.

If you been playing WoW, this game will feel much slower.

How can the UI skill activation be coupled to the FPS???

I have at least 20 FPS so that is 0.05 sec per frame,
    I am sure that I press the buttons slower especially with multicast
    which I know is critical for being activated.

And still that would be bad programming I think,
    you need a seperated Higher priority loop for the input to and from the server! The server does the timing not the client. The input should be seperate from the pictures the GFX engine generate... At least while you lag you can then
    still fight (while blinded..).

I think th eignoring of the attacks is due to some flaw in the Queue
    which is only ONE attack. I see multicast in the queue but then it
    subsequently disappears from the que and does not register in
    the effects window. This should NEVER happen unless the server
    has discarded my command. So my guess is that the server is somehow
    running the input routine way slower than my client gives it to the server.
    Which would indicate a too small buffer server side!

Well It's along time since I was a programmer but this just does not fly,
    all th eother games dont do this... so why would HZ?
    Rhialto,
    The Iron Watch
    Ice Server

It has nothing to do with the server, and everything to do with the client. The client takes an extremely long time to display the results of what actually happens. If you pay close attention, you will notice that your exp messages come up a good deal before something dies, you can get the debuff of something before it hits you. There are major issues with the shear amount of time the horizons file system needs to display things, if you learn how to think ahead, and play against that, things move much much faster.
    One of the reasons I was so effective in my flurries was because I switched attacking my target 4 or more seconds before the one I was fighting actually died. Wasting that much time inbetween means slow combat/gameplay.

4 seconds... holy cowbel!

I indeed noticed I was being hit before the monster actually was near me...

Pitty the developers are not onboard again, since this is a major issue!
    It would be nice to hear what EII is going to do about this!
    Rhialto,
    The Iron Watch
    Ice Server

Quote Originally Posted by Rhialto
    4 seconds... holy cowbel!

I indeed noticed I was being hit before the monster actually was near me...

Pitty the developers are not onboard again, since this is a major issue!
    Oh, don't we have this problem for years now? As fas as I remember those ogres for example always had their 30m long club. The reason you can't see it's whole length is that they made it invisible (some kind of UV laser sword of course) to let you believe you can eat them up easily .

Regards, Sap.

Somehow this time after trying HZ after such a long time I noticed it instantly.

Seemingly when I play it 10 hours a day for 1+ years you adapt your timing automatically to the game. You then ARE the character and have the timing instinctively and dont notice the difference between the reality on your screen and in your head which is adjusted to match the HZ world.

This makes me see how powerful the human brain really is AND how deceptively it is in convincing you about the reality of the senses.

I TRIBUTE THIS POST TO THIS REALIZATION!
    Rhialto,
    The Iron Watch
    Ice Server

depending on how long ago you last played, it actually may seem slower. I recall a major overhaul of the combat system that added (or modified) pre and post delays to many actions. Just cannot remember how long ago that was. Which means it was prob 2+ years ago. lol.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Thread Information