Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Possible solution to Vista vs Horizons problems

Default Re: Possible solution to Vista vs Horizons problems

Quote Originally Posted by Balthizar View Post
    Added Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. It intergraded this things into my

64bit Vista Home for me.

1.) Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]

2.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

3.) Visual C++8.0 Runtime Setup Package (x54)

Now after 7mon. of fighting I'm geting to play most of the time
    umm folks

You can't run games in virtual PC 2007 nor any VM software. VM machines do not support 3d hardware acceleration at this time. Host hardware is mimic'ed and installed with a basic set of drivers that you cannot change.

VM ware and VB have just started to talk about this, its not even in development yet. MS Virtual PC definitely doesn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    To be honest, just the reduced ram usage of XP makes it superior for gaming at this time; oh and the install size. At this time my Windows directory Only... Vista is 9.35gb while XP is 2.3gb WTF! And I have yet to see a difference (visually) between dx9 and dx10 games.

9.35gb of what!!! I thought the space hogs were pictures and video. Where is this in Vista to create that space usage? And this is Home Premium; not even Ultimate or Business which presumably use more space.

Rakku
    no

XP with current up to date patchs will take 5GB of hard space btw .

Windows 7 due out late 2009

Yes this is true but the redist are all added to the OS system for you permently functioning on all programs that need them. You can remove the VM after words no problem.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Quote Originally Posted by MadDwarf View Post
    umm folks

You can't run games in virtual PC 2007 nor any VM software. VM machines do not support 3d hardware acceleration at this time. Host hardware is mimic'ed and installed with a basic set of drivers that you cannot change.

VM ware and VB have just started to talk about this, its not even in development yet. MS Virtual PC definitely doesn't support it.
    Yeah... but *using* VPC 2007 wasn't their solution to running the game, simply that the support software (see original post) it installed had the side effect of making Horizons work.

I might give it a try.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Yeah... but *using* VPC 2007 wasn't their solution to running the game, simply that the support software (see original post) it installed had the side effect of making Horizons work.

I might give it a try.

Rakku
    I severely doubt that. Nothing that Virtual PC 2007 needs to run can make Horizons work in vista.

Other than that Virtual PC 2007 runs with nothing needing to be installed extra into Vista. Nothing that you couldn't have installed before hand. I doubt those extra files did anything.

to totally obliterate Vista issues once and for all Vitrium needs to get into the meat and potatoes of the Horizons code. Until then the player base will have to come up with hodge podge solutions that work on some machines when the moon is in alignment with mars but not others who happen to try and run HZ on an eclipse....
    Last edited by MadDwarf; April 29th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDwarf View Post
    I severely doubt that. Nothing that Virtual PC 2007 needs to run can make Horizons work in vista.

Other than that Virtual PC 2007 runs with nothing needing to be installed extra into Vista. Nothing that you couldn't have installed before hand. I doubt those extra files did anything.

to totally obliterate Vista issues once and for all Vitrium needs to get into the meat and potatoes of the Horizons code. Until then the player base will have to come up with hodge podge solutions that work on some machines when the moon is in alignment with mars but not others who happen to try and run HZ on an eclipse....
    Well it didn't work... it did install some seperate components, but I'm almost certain I had them anyway.

It's probably something so mindnumbingly daft that stops Horizons starting; after all it worked on the release version of Vista and the mind still boggles what kind of patch Microsoft released that broke this game. I wonder how much other software was effectively broken at the same time. Perhaps it was support for an older method of doing something was removed that Horizons used.

From an old post tramsan wrote I think he mentioned a C library that was updated, which Hz's was not compatible with. I realise that the staff at Vitrium have limited resources, but I hope at least one person is working on Vista support permanently. It needs doing as all new pc's are coming with Vista installed. Then once it's fixed Hz's will be open to as many new players as possible.

Rakku

y would u even want vista it sucks and uses more RAM to run itself there ant much software for it...it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Sveken Elkora View Post
    y would u even want vista it sucks and uses more RAM to run itself there ant much software for it...it sucks
    Because we can't choose our OS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sveken Elkora View Post

Regarding the software... true, but it stands within the realms of no reasonable doubt that there *will* be....

Alan Wake for example...

Rakku

Hey so...any word on this Vista thing? I like to get back into the game with my wife.

I would like to know this also. Have not played in a few months due to computer issue. Just bought a new system it has vista and I am not sure if I am now going to be able to play.
    I have googled istaria with vista several times but all I keep finding is a big No that it will not run on vista with out cuasing major problems. Please make it supportable or give an effective work around..

please

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

some peeps, myself and my bro among them, have been able to get in and play by following the instructions in this thread:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ighlight=vista
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Is there any hope that horizons will one day be friendly with vista? I saw a poll awhile back about what to do with it, but I haven't heard much since. I am too one who can't get it to work on vista, and I'm sick and tired of my xp drive getting viruses for no reason. I do hope it would be sometime in the near future. I love this game, and it is ashame that folks have to go through so much work just to be able to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
    Hey so...any word on this Vista thing? I like to get back into the game with my wife.
    The only time I was able to play Istaria consistently in Vista was on the original installation (way before SP1). You'd be leaving yourself open to the mass of malware out there, but if you're responsible just do not allow Vista to patch itself with any updates. I never did find out exactly which patch did it, but something installed after about the 3rd load of patches (reboots needed) that killed Istaria. I can only assume it's was something in Vista that, at release, was like XP and therefore legacy. MS then finished the component intended for Vista and released through Windows Update. Istaria was not compatible with the 'new' component. Who knows...

Rakku

Thread Information