Thread: want to replace Nortons Antivirus....

Default want to replace Nortons Antivirus....

Im looking to replace Nortons Internet Security (Firewall, Anti-Virus,Anti-Spyware,ect) because it hogs ALL of my systems resources.

Anyone know of good reliable Internet security software?
    Chromos - 100 Ancient Lunus, 100 DragonCrafter,100 Lairshaper
    Titles - Expert DragonCrafter - Expert Lairshaper

Default Re: want to replace Nortons Antivirus....

For antivirus I use AVG - there is a free edition that works pretty well. It uses a lot of system resources while scanning, but I have it scan at 2:00 in the morning, so I don't notice it

Firewall - ZoneAlarm used to be good. I used it back before I got a hardware router/firewall.

For spyware I use Spyware Search & Destroy.

For spyware I use Spyware Search & Destroy.
    Don't you mean spybot, search and destroy?

Anyway, I use the exact same setup as Kerech uses, it works like a charm and is 100% free.

(when installing Spybot be sure to choose to install teatimer.exe during spybot's setup. Teatimer protects your registry)
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

i'm using Avast and it works good too and have had no problems with it yet. it's free. Avg is another good one also

I use Trend Micro Internet Security myself.
    Imayo, Preceptor of Obsidian Order on Order
    Shadowalker
    http://kalex.org

I use - Zone alarm Iternet security suite.

you get all the coverage you need and for a certain amount of time you can trial it for 15 days.

after that you can then choose whatever package you want form the basic Zone alarm or the full suite.

Yes you will have to pay for it but you get a year free cover of update and upgrades to the Zone alarm system.

site is www.zonealarm.co.uk - or you can choose your region in the top right of the web page.

This program is also very user friendly.

I myself just renewed my account for 2 more years at £37.95

I use Avast. It seems good so far. Still, I disable its On-Access Protection before starting Horizons.

Try Norton 360. Hogs very little resources, does everything behind the scenes, and doesn't bug you with pop-ups for every possible threat. I used to use the old Norton's suite, then Zone Alarm (until a recent patch of it brought my system to its knees).

I love 360.

Eh I use avast too. Like it was stated it is free and does at least as good of a job as Norton...Not that I have anything against Norton it's just that buying licenses every year gets expensive.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Nod32 is suppose to be the best. At least on most tech sites it is listed if not at top, at least the top 3.

http://www.nod32usa.com/catalog/nod3...FQYjWAod3zJ2Dw

But I have heard it can be kind of hard to setup. I do plan on trying it out once my Norton sub runs out.

I think TrendMicro Internet Security is some good security software.

Right now I'm trying Windows LiveOne Care (not that I support MS by any means, but just wanted to see what it was like; not to bad so far).
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Zarcharien View Post
    I think TrendMicro Internet Security is some good security software.

Right now I'm trying Windows LiveOne Care (not that I support MS by any means, but just wanted to see what it was like; not to bad so far).
    Hope it changed a lot, when I was beta testing it, it had all kind of issues.

I am loyal to Kaspersky...

AVG for antivirus
    Zonealarm free for a fire wall ... Hardware firewalls at least the non enterprise business ones can be defeated. With both you are pretty safe.

For spyware I use Spybot search and destroy , Ad-Aware and AVG's free spyware product. Every once in awhile I will also do a quick scan using AVG's rootkit product.

Of course smart surfing and common sense email habits will assure you of an infection free existence on the web.

10 plus years as a regular internet user and not a single virus to date nor malware infestation.

The hole line of Grid soft Products are good an reliable the antivirus ans spywhere scanners are free but you get more protection if you pay for there Upgrades virshions meh my 2 coppers worth
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

as far as firewalls go, i -love- Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (now published by sunbelt...) free for home-use on the version that hasn't got all the bells and whistles. for three years it was the only thing i had protecting my desktop. i finally decided to do a virus scan at one point and found something like 400 different viruses, all of which were completely useless because the firewall just wont let ******** run unless you tell it too. (can get really annoying, but i don't mind.) not that i am encourging you not to get a virus/spyware scanner, definately do it. just saying that i know for a fact KPF4 kicks ******.

as far as antivirus/spyware: AVG is good in my book (just set it to update daily) and SpyBot S&D is great as well (just set your firewall to block the addvert-ware that comes with it)

Thread Information