Thread: k what ta get??

Default k what ta get??

im gona buy a new vid card anyone know whats good for a 03 dell?? i was thinkin maybe a g-force 5500 or 4k somethin like that

Default Re: k what ta get??

Whats the model number of you Dell... Unless you know the slot type that your videocard is currently. Beyond that, I wouldn't go less then the geforce 6600 or the Ati 1k series... Either way, I've seen both of them in AGP and PCIx slots. Depends also how much cash you are willing to spend and if the rest of the motherboard could push the new card or not. Usually for me, about the time I'm ready to replace the video card, I'm up to replace the whole rest of the system as well.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

k most that flew over my head anyway i got about 70$ ta spend maybe a lil more but how much a motherboard an such cost???? where i find my dell #??

Under the flap in front, its a service number. I think there may be a similar sticker on the back.

If that is a 2003 machine, it does not have PCIe or PCI-Express (PCIx is a 64-bit, backwards compatible version of the 32bit PCI slot -- very different from PCIe).

That means you're stuck with AGP. Try to find a card with 256MB of graphics memory. You'll appreciate being able to run at higher texture quality. You should be able to find an Nvidia 6600GT with those specs in your price range. They even make some passively cooled ones, so your computer won't sound like a hairdryer!

Note: Your power supply may not be strong enough to power the video card.
    Last edited by Steelclaw; August 30th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Under the flap in front, its a service number. I think there may be a similar sticker on the back.

If that is a 2003 machine, it does not have PCIe or PCI-Express (PCIx is a 64-bit, backwards compatible version of the 32bit PCI slot -- very different from PCIe).

That means you're stuck with AGP. Try to find a card with 256MB of graphics memory. You'll appreciate being able to run at higher texture quality. You should be able to find an Nvidia 6600GT with those specs in your price range. They even make some passively cooled ones, so your computer won't sound like a hairdryer!

Note: Your power supply may not be strong enough to power the video card.
    I knew I was hitting a wrong key in there someplace SC... looks like I hit an x (prolly cuz I was thinkin express) instead of an e...

Anyway.. Yea.. the power supply is the other reason I was wondering about the system build. Dell is quite notorious for installing PSU's that might power 1 extra hard drive, but that isn't quite as much as a new Vid card would require.
    Believe it or not.. I saw an AGP ATI 2x series card the other day.. I was quite flabbergasted that they would do the heinous crime of putting that on an AGP slot.. but.. well.. tis not my brand name on the card... lol..
    Anyway... you will need to also make sure that you measure the length of the area where the video card goes, to make sure your new card has enough clearance to actually install the card in the case.

But.. I do agree with SC.. you should look at the 6600 series. Ensure that your motherboard has the AGP slot. Ensure that your PowerSupply is at least 450w(I personally don't go below 600w). Then jump in with both feet and put the new sucker in there.

Let us know how it goes.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Hm... You might have trouble getting a 6600. Go for the 7600GS, its about the same performance wise, but a little bit easier to find.

Passively cooled cards are nice, though check your airflow, if your other cards are cooking, its probably a good idea to go with the actively (fan) cooled cards.

i went ahead an boughta g-force 4000 cause its at the walmart an it was all i could aafford lol hope itll work an stayt cool>.>

Ew. I'm assuming you want to play 3D games on that. It's really not worth it -- go get your money back and save it till you can afford something better.

The MX 4000 is so old that it is getting expensive again. I personally wouldn't get one unless it was free -- it's THAT old.

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    k most that flew over my head anyway i got about 70$ ta spend maybe a lil more but how much a motherboard an such cost???? where i find my dell #??
    Honestly, you need to find a friend or relative or somebody to take a lokk at your comp and make some recommendations. If you can't find your model #, you probably should never approach your computer with tools in hand . . .

heh i tried to fit it in my comp but was to big so got my money back, friend of mine is gettin me a 256 pci that ican out in my comp for 60$

Get an AGP card. A PCI card is very poor for 3D performance.

You can get an Nvidia FX5200 (or FX5500) AGP for $60 and it will be a whole lot faster.

Thread Information