Thread: Multiclassing Question

Default Multiclassing Question

Assume you take Warrior to lvl 100. You get to take all that OHS and 2HS to another school if you multiclass, right? You just have to use a lesser weapon.

I've noticed something with handwraps. If I fight barefisted as a low level mage, I do the damage of roughly my lvl 50 monky self. If I equip the handwraps appropriate to that level, my damage changes. LVL 36 Mage handwraps drop my damage down. Lvl 70ish Ranger reinforced hide handwraps raise my damage up a little from lvl 50ishness. However, the moment I switch back to STMD my damage is back up to normal. Why is this?

I suspect it's Unarmed Mastery. Our abilitity to hit barefisted is controlled by Unarmed Mastery, and so by default in another school we drop down to the lvl 48 version of Unarmed Mastery, regulating what our damage is. Wraps replace UA, so they tune the damage up or down. I'm guessing that as a lvl 100 Ranger I should be able to do the same damage (pathetic as it is) I was doing in STMD mode. However upon hitting lvl 70 Ranger, I'm doing more damage with a bow than my fists ever did. [:'(]
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

Default Re: Multiclassing Question

With a warrior the lesser weapon would do less damage.

With a monk we do damage bare fisted of a level 50ish monk. if you put handwraps below level 50ish on you are going to have the damage add from the weapon (UAM or Handwraps) reduced.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris

However upon hitting lvl 70 Ranger, I'm doing more damage with a bow than my fists ever did. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]
    And now you know why today..I dropped monk......I took ranger just for something to try but as a low lvl ranger....I was doing almost the same dmg sa my monk who was lvl 52. TOday I am a lvl 58 ranger doing twice the dmg my lvl 52 monk was doing. I get almost all teh same basic skills as monk did except for foresight. So I trained monk back up to lvl 10 to get that ability. But...ranger gets the dex abilty, evade ability and to me...they didn't even need it lol. Only draw back is...monk gets +10 to dex I believe ...ranger gets +9 I think...and same for evade. NOT to mention...ranger hits TWICE as fast as monk ever did. So bye bye monk...it was nice knowing you...but until you get fixed..I am not wasting my time with you anymore.

Rangers do not hit twice as fast as monks do The delay on most bows is 25ish while on handwraps the delay is stated at 22ish.

If you use energise with a bow and alc you may get faster but as a base the monk attacks faster.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by evilkarl
    Rangers do not hit twice as fast as monks do The delay on most bows is 25ish while on handwraps the delay is stated at 22ish.

If you use energise with a bow and alc you may get faster but as a base the monk attacks faster.
    Have you played a ranger? Even my guild mates said they can't believe how much faster i can shoot then I was hitting as a monk. Yes....ranger does shoot faster then a monk can hit. I don't care WHAT the delay states on wraps...or bows or anything else for that matter. As ranger uses 2-3 differant abilities that lowers delay by 10 and they stack plus the average bow i use now states a delay of 30. If people around me notice the differance...and I notice a differant...I'd say there is a differance. Beleive what you want...defend what you want...but proof is there.

My first toon was a ranger although I only played it until 33ish which was far enough to get energise and rapid fire stance.

My ranger did not attack faster than my sprd when using a long bow.

As I said I was talking base delay the base delay for monk is lower than that of ranger using a bow. Self buffs may alter the ranger to attack faster.

Having said that I think monks should attack faster than they do or that each attack should use both hands so we get our current speed but 2 hits to each attack
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

I dunno I think my ranger does actually hit faster than I can punch.
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by evilkarl
    My first toon was a ranger although I only played it until 33ish which was far enough to get energise and rapid fire stance.

My ranger did not attack faster than my sprd when using a long bow.

As I said I was talking base delay the base delay for monk is lower than that of ranger using a bow. Self buffs may alter the ranger to attack faster.

Having said that I think monks should attack faster than they do or that each attack should use both hands so we get our current speed but 2 hits to each attack
    Well just to make sure i was not talking out my ******...I went back today and verified..ranger shoots EASILY twice as fast as my monk evr did. Verified by friends and guildies that saw me always playing my monk. And how do you know what teh base delay is? I have YET to find anything that even shows what my delay is. And it well may be a fact that monk has a lower base then ranger...but it's not working for monk thats obvious. Playing to only lvl 33 I don't think is truely enough...although when i started out as a scout...at the time i had 52 levels of monk in...I even then thought i was shooting faster then my monk was hitting. Wraps seemed to speed it up but I was doing less dmg so I gave up on them. And lets not forget the dmg output versus monk even IF they where same hitting speed (confirmed they are not the same)...i'm way out hitting my monk dmg wise.

I DO agree with your last statement though. It pained me to drop monk. I love and always have loved monks. Even the low dmg wasn't enough to deter me as I went 52 levels..but the speed was/is horrable. Even if they kept the same speed but used both hands for a 2 strike...i'd be ok with that. Well I would have been. I'm LOVING ranger. Armor use is lower which sucks...and i only get +9 to bow which sucks....but hey...I'm FINALLY having fun.

I Dunno Ranger isn't that fun for me, so to each his own I suppose. I miss STMD personally, but if I wanna do actual damage I need to go lvl 70-ish Ranger because the speed at which I can whip out arrows and the higher damage they do leaves my poor lvl 100 monk in the dust.

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris
    I Dunno Ranger isn't that fun for me, so to each his own I suppose. I miss STMD personally, but if I wanna do actual damage I need to go lvl 70-ish Ranger because the speed at which I can whip out arrows and the higher damage they do leaves my poor lvl 100 monk in the dust.
    Well before they started doing all the mob changes and befor the merge ...my monk was tanking lvl 55 gold golems at lvl 36..I had about 30 levels of healer to help out. I kept killing golems up to making about lvl 48ish. Then i left the game for about 2 months and came back after the mob changes and merger. Went right up to a gold golem and got the living crap beat out of me. Back then...monk was fun..not over powered certainly....but fun. Now....monk is boring..I can't even do gold golems very well without running alot and this is at lvl 52!!!. It's like being slapped in the face. So I tried ranger...and I dropped monk...and now i am again tanking things above my lvl. It's brought back the freshness and fun i had before merger. Do I like ranger more...not really...but I am able to explore more now and try harder and see harder mobs then if I was still a monk. I'd go back if they cleaned it up and made it a worthy class again.

As a rule of thumb monks in hz do not fight things above their level generally because you have little to no chance of evading these things and your damage output is so low it will take forever.

The only time it is viable is if you have multi'd a healing class and/or have mind over body up.

If you multiclass and it raises your rating you have an even harder time of things trying to hunt as a monk.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Well, I'm still trying to hold out for a revisit to our skills, but man is it rough. I have Nature's fury, and that really does help a lot in combination with Power Style.I am considering taking Chaos warrior to 40 for UnbridledEnergy.Every little bit helps.

Tme to push my fitter a lot since I'm still crashing on construction. Accidentally hit Flurry when hunting with a friend's guild. Damage dropped to 20's-lower 30's (I'm 82, hunting 72-80 monsters). [:$] HOWEVER With Nature's Fury and Power style active I can hit in the 150's with my high end chains, doing down to 80's with my lower end chains. Though not overwhelming considering it's aspecial attack, it is at least comperable to a normal hit. (once those wear out I'm back to doing 40's in damage).

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

Aceracer,

Golems are now crush resistant (makes sense), and monks do crush damage. If you want to do better against golems you need a new damage type. Take mage to 7 so you can cast flame/ice/energy attacks on yourself. Flame seems to do well against many golems.
    Neon Burnblade
    Bitter ex-top-jeweler of Expanse (for a few weeks in 2004 anyway)
    --------------------------------------------------
    If anyone is interested in EQ2, look me up as Iridi on the Unrest server. Gronar and Hellga are on as well!

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by Neon
    Aceracer,

Golems are now crush resistant (makes sense), and monks do crush damage. If you want to do better against golems you need a new damage type. Take mage to 7 so you can cast flame/ice/energy attacks on yourself. Flame seems to do well against many golems.
    Been there done that...golems seem (for some odd reason) to be imune for the most part to crush...I found that out the hard way....but pierce seems to be the best?? although the minimal testing i did was at lower lvl ranger where I was hitting less 0 with pierce and more 0 with energy (which for my monk was much more effective). SInce I have made it to lvl 67 ranger..it seems to matter little what buff I use..I still hit hard and fast. Energy seemed more effective as a monk then it did as a ranger...fire now seems to work but I also have a crystal that adds fire DMG. Anyway...thx for the input Neon..I'd already figured out that crush thing. But no matter what I did as a monk aside from buffing str instead of dex...I did little to no dmg. Speed....was...and always has been...my main concern though..not so much how much dmg I could do. I just wanted to feel like i was giving something to the other classes I am grouped with. As a pure monk..I stopped feeling like i was helping.

Even as a low ranger...hitting for 0 most the time (when grouped with guildies that where killing things FAR above my lvl) I still at least had lightning arrow that would have a 30% chance to stun. I might not have been doing much dmg...but the stuns I WAS doing helped. Now as a lvl 67 ranger...I find that as long as my flurry II is up and ready to go...I don't need much evade to tank mobs well above me. I also have lighting II which is now 40% chance to stun. So I buff up on dex...click furry and toss arrows from 50 m away and shooting 3 per every 1.5 sec either stops the on coming golem or slows him down more then enough to kill it with minimal dmg to me.

Anyway this post isn't about rangers...it's about how crappy monks are and ranger..in all honesty..is what monk should be only with unarmed and not arrows.

Thread Information