View Poll Results: Your vote on the "Invisible Login"

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be left "as-is"

9 9.89%
  • Should be removed entirely

11 12.09%
  • Should be modified (visible after action / time expire)

65 71.43%
  • No opinion

6 6.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible login poll

Default Invisible login poll

We know that there is a hot topic debate over invisible logins being used to get an upper advantage in certain battle situations. There have been pros and cons about the merits of this "game feature" so let's take a vote!
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Default Re: Invisible login poll

Should be modified, IMO.

The way it should be:

Once you login, you are invisible and cannot obtain aggro, but yet the first time you do -anything- other than sending chat messages, or /tells, you become fully visible. This includes healing/buffing spells, movement, and recall.

We cannot put a time limit on it, because as anyone knows, some older computers can take 5+ minutes to boot the game fully, and nothing sucks worse than to die before you're ready. I've seen that in other games and it just isn't fun.

i dont see any problem with it now except that it ignores casting/using abilities. why it does this, i have no clue, but it's the only thing that needs to be changed.

Addendum to what I said above:

Maybe we could make it you remain invisible if, and only if, said abilities/buffs were used on Yourself Only? The first time you use Anything on Anyone Else, mob or player, you become visible? This allows you to re-buff before making your presence known after a disconnect, but doesn't allow you to main-heal a party with no penalties....

Whoops, I voted the wrong answer. *sighs*

I guess I feel that if you logged out in a bad place, or involuntarily logged out in a bad place and you don't think your buddies are there for back up, do the login with recall mode.

And have to spend the 5-10 minutes to travel back to where you were?

No thanks.

Sometimes, as a dragon, it can take quite a few minutes to fly to some places, I'd hate to see what it is like for a biped who can't fly, heh. I imagine it must be even worse.

I don't think you should get an indefinate grace period for being invisible. I voted to change it.
    Last edited by Trust; September 18th, 2007 at 03:05 AM. Reason: *E* meh
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

E.) I want confirmation from a Dev that this CAN be modified before voting on the poll.
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

lol its just a poll, verm!!!

i agree with dhalin in everything so far. vice-g o d of blight ruf still uses dialup and is prone to disconnect in the most awkward of situations. i think it is entirely fair to have the invis on connect for yourself. you should be able to cast buffs and such on yourself before facing a gauntlet. and no time limit - ruffy can take quite a long time to get into the game, and a time limit or aggro on move would be a big pain when he is just trying to get into the game. and if they aggro on move, he would be attacked and possibly written in the ded book before he could recall. you should at least be able to recall without being attacked on entering the game.

however, you should not be able to use the invis thing to cast buffs or healing on a party unfairly. i may be a leech, but i never attacked or buffed another character to do it.

of course, i was never high enough level to do so, but that is beside the point....

anyway, that is my thoughts. yes to invis on connect and able to cast/recall on yourself, no to using it as an exploit in battle.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I think it should be removed entirely. Why? Two reasons:

1. If you log out in an unsafe place, that's YOUR problem. If you crash out in an unsafe place, well...you don't have to worry about corpse runs, losing gear, losing exp, or getting your gear damaged. You only have to worry about running back. In my opinion, it's a completely unnecessary feature.

2a. If it's left as-is, people can still do things I'm pretty certain are considered exploits by the devs and not just by the players.

2b. If it gets modified, either by time or by activity, it can still be abused. Time runs out? Relog. Or just sit there doing nothing while waiting for a mob to spawn.

And Verm? I'm not 100% certain, but my understanding was that this was a feature added to the game after release. I may be mistaken though.

1 minute timer and any action send to server changes it.
    (yes, even opening vault)
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Doesn't affect me. I see the people in the channels and they see me. Usually about the time I say my last "Hello there" I'm on the run to be doing stuff.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    1 minute timer and any action send to server changes it.
    (yes, even opening vault)
    One Minute?

Eh... from the time it says "Entering Istaria..." it is at least two minutes before I can move, or do much of anything, and then when I log on, I've got like 5-10FPS for at least 15 seconds while everything loads.

If we went by your suggestion, I'd be dead long before I could react.

I'd say 5 minutes or first action would be my choice. How could anyone exploit that?

One Minute?

Eh... from the time it says "Entering Istaria..." it is at least two minutes before I can move, or do much of anything, and then when I log on, I've got like 5-10FPS for at least 15 seconds while everything loads.

If we went by your suggestion, I'd be dead long before I could react.
    He says one minute AND then you have to perform actions. If you are still loading, even if it takes 2 days, you are not performing actions.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I voted a while ago to change it. I think it a good idea, but I think even if a person types it should be null and void. Anything to say you arent afk and are loaded.

If changing it none of these ways is possible, just take it out. Dying sucks, but, its better than all this controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I think it should be removed entirely. Why? Two reasons:

1. If you log out in an unsafe place, that's YOUR problem. If you crash out in an unsafe place, well...you don't have to worry about corpse runs, losing gear, losing exp, or getting your gear damaged. You only have to worry about running back. In my opinion, it's a completely unnecessary feature.

2a. If it's left as-is, people can still do things I'm pretty certain are considered exploits by the devs and not just by the players.

2b. If it gets modified, either by time or by activity, it can still be abused. Time runs out? Relog. Or just sit there doing nothing while waiting for a mob to spawn.

And Verm? I'm not 100% certain, but my understanding was that this was a feature added to the game after release. I may be mistaken though.

I agree with you 100%.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

I concur with the idea that it should be modified to any action causes the invisibility to be negated.

It should be easy enough to fix it so any action causes the invisibility to drop. That'll keep people from standing around and healing their friends or buffing without consequences.

A timer wouldn't work for me, though. For whatever reason I usually take 5 minutes or more to load the game, and I crash OFTEN (usually multiple times during loading, too). Removing it entirely would probably mean I will always have 3-5 death points, if not more.
    Last edited by Ashuran; September 19th, 2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: addtl' info

Quote Originally Posted by Ashuran View Post
    A timer wouldn't work for me, though. For whatever reason I usually take 5 minutes or more to load the game, and I crash OFTEN (usually multiple times during loading, too). Removing it entirely would probably mean I will always have 3-5 death points, if not more.
    This sound like a sound card issue. Have you tried disabling it from your Control Panel? It worked wonders for me.

Thread Information