Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: in game Econnomy

Default Re: in game Econnomy

The only issue i have with reforging using materials to do so... is that it might suck for those who've broken down their armor and don't have a spare to go hunt the materials to make the repair kit. Money is just far easier...

Nothing worse then being high level, dirt poor, no armor to hunt the components down to repair your uber armor with. =/

However, I do think it's a kick butt idea =) Maybe if the item needed for the repair was something that dropped of most any monster like soul fragments once did? But then you run into the problem of having tons and nothing to do with them most likely even if you're repairing your stuff often.

The only issue i have with reforging using materials to do so... is that it might suck for those who've broken down their armor and don't have a spare to go hunt the materials to make the repair kit.
    What happens in real life if you live in a secluded town, are oblivious of your car condition and use it till it breaks?

You are on your foot then, and have to beg friends for help.

What happens if you decide your debit card is cool and use all your credit and end up dry? Anyone goes grind you money or even offers you a sandwitch to survive?

What happens in any other game I played when you have broken items and don't have money to repair them? Only Horizons is "carebear" stamped.

Why should the game pamper you about what you can easily prevent by wise foresight?

What will prevent you from wearing a craft set and go gather? Or even go AoE grind level 40 mobs for cheap coin?

And slap yourself for your imprudence?

A game is not just for fun, since ever it's for education too, nothing teachs faster and better than slamming your face in a dragon-manure mountain.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin View Post
    The only issue i have with reforging using materials to do so... is that it might suck for those who've broken down their armor and don't have a spare to go hunt the materials to make the repair kit. Money is just far easier...

Nothing worse then being high level, dirt poor, no armor to hunt the components down to repair your uber armor with. =/

However, I do think it's a kick butt idea =) Maybe if the item needed for the repair was something that dropped of most any monster like soul fragments once did? But then you run into the problem of having tons and nothing to do with them most likely even if you're repairing your stuff often.
    if you look at the whole of my post more closely what im with what im suggesting you will have had to have had your armour repaired several times before you get to that point and so should be able to be prepare a while before you need to do this.

plus repair kits would be needed my lost of people so should always be a supply on the consigners for cases where you need to repair in a hurry.

in my opinion

repair kits are like first aid, for when you need repairs "in the field" in an emergency

standard repairs "done by craft persons" are for when you go back to "town"

and reforging is a periodic thing, almost equivalent to buying a new one when you armour/weapon/tool is broken (you would usually have to have had it repaired something like 5-10 times before it comes to this.)

as to your money problem, that is why economy's shifted from barter to money.

in this context adventurers make money by killing things, selling loot and doing quests, craft people make money by fixing and making new weapons & armour for the adventurers.

so because you dont want/have time to go get materials you pay a crafter to go get the materials and fix it for you.

and if there is sufficient demand the crafter would keep the materials to hand to do the repairs.

Thinking about this gave me an idea for a player "owned" npc for the appropriate craft buildings,

a repair npc , with such an npc the owner would stock up with materials, and set an amount to charge people to repair their equipment, for each repair the npc would use up some of its reserve of materials and take some in some money. could only do standard repairs (reforging as involves techs needs a player crafter)
    Last edited by fireblade; September 27th, 2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: had idea

Quote Originally Posted by Hal`cyon Sskyler View Post
    I'm the member of a team?
    Yes, you are. Just an intern, but you do bang on the works directly.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus View Post
    Yes, you are. Just an intern, but you do bang on the works directly.
    Actually, Halcyon is B.A. Barracus from "The A Team".

It's a little-known story, but he burst into the offices of EI with gold chains a-swingin' shouting "AH PITTY DEH FEWL WHO SET UP THE INSECURE BILLING SITE!" and a bunch of em jumped out second-story windows, screaming.

Outside in the van, Rick Simmons was chomping on a cigar, saying "I love it when a plan comes together..."

True story, I swear!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread on game economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post

It's a little-known story, but he burst into the offices of EI with gold chains a-swingin' shouting "AH PITTY DEH FEWL WHO SET UP THE INSECURE BILLING SITE!" and a bunch of em jumped out second-story windows, screaming.

Outside in the van, Rick Simmons was chomping on a cigar, saying "I love it when a plan comes together..."

True story, I swear!

bwahahahahah!!

True story, I swear!

LOL

That's too funny!

Always makes for a good start to the day with a good laugh!

hahahah.. Oh Steele, that's great! Do we really have to return to the regularly scheduled thread? Cause I enjoyed the laugh much more.

Thank you.

I agree that in the absence of a full decay/repair system, attuning on equip is the best of the worst solutions. The only issue I have with attuning is in HZ terms it means the item cannot leave your character's immediate "domain", ie inventory or vault. If normal teched items are to become attuned, they still need to be tradeable or storable in player structures. No-trade status would be given another name, but it seems to be a very unliked effect.

Drev

I've been playing since launch and have 100 in all craft schools. I also have a couple of 100 adventure schools. I rarely have more than a couple gold to my name. Most other players I know are the same. I hear all this talk of econnomy and money sinks. Just how many players have big stacks of mithril coins with nothing to spend them on?
    The game has gotten along ok with what little econnomy we do or don't have. Why all the concern?

Just so you know I have only had a gold once or twice and one time I did give about 500 sliver away to a guild mate to help her get the lair she really wanted. My main point being a couple gold, I think anyway, is rare for a player. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Just so you know I have only had a gold once or twice and one time I did give about 500 sliver away to a guild mate to help her get the lair she really wanted. My main point being a couple gold, I think anyway, is rare for a player. But I could be wrong.
    I dunno if it's rare, per se... when the player economy was self-sustainable fairly early on in HZ's history, you could turn a decent buck selling tech'd gear for sure - in addition to contracted construction.

In any game, just like in RL, if you plan out your actions intelligently and then methodically execute those plans - and then don't a Murphey's Law moment to ruin it - you can come ahead at a pretty steady pace.

I don't think the issue here is with resources entering the world - for the most part, it's at a pretty reasonable pace (anytime someone mass-AEs mobs for cash that's an exception). Adding avenues through which resources can exit the world is the challenge, because those avenues still need to be:

* Creative - they need to fit properly within the VERY creative greater framework of Istaria; I guess I'm talking about from a lore perspective
    * Effective - they have to actually work
    * Seamless - if they have an artificial feel to the player, they will be interpreted as a niusance which leads to excessive complaining and a drop in customer satisfaction ratings (which Istaria just doesn't need at the moment).

Repair kits are a cool idea, but they have to be an easier solution than making a new item from scratch - otherwise, what's the point? Yet if they're mass-produceable, then adventurers interpret it as yet another imbalance in favor of crafters.

Now, this is all assuming that current and max durability (or item HP) can be added as a stat, in the first place. But based on the assumption that it CAN:

I'd be tempted... and my biped brethren are gonna lynch me for this... but I'd be tempted to say make item repair similar in principle to Cure Zymosis. Make it a L60+ lairshaping primal-based ability (not a scribed spell though), but with a 24hr reuse timer. One cast works for any single magical/tech'd item (how the item will be targetted would need to be worked out), subtracts 20% from the current max durability of the item and then restores current durability up to that new max.

You could frame it as such from a Lore perspective:

-----------------------------------------------
    Event: "The Decay of Elemental Magic"

Long have the races of Istaria toiled to make more elaborate cargo gear and highly effective crafting tools, deadlier weapons of war, and stronger armor to shield themselves from the Withered Aegis. Suffering defeat after resounding defeat, leaders of the Aegis have recognized the severe disadvantage mounting against them as the peoples of Istaria utilitize better materials and more complex enchantments. After a long lull in activity the Aegis has secretly executed a devious plan to level the playing field.

From high above the deepest regions of the Eastern and Western Plaguelands two massive, simultaneous detonations caused an ominous purple flash across daytime skies. The rolling shockwave that followed rocked both earth and sky, a sickly green pall filtered down from above. Although those who witnessed the thin veil before its dissipation were understandably alrmed, the Dragons of Istaria immediately sensed something much more sinister was amiss; the magical fabric of Istaria had been altered... but how?

A grand gathering of Dragon-kind was called. Helian and Lunus alike rushed to begin studying the phenominon in a show of cooperation unparalleled since the days before the Rift. Their research revealed an alarming discovery: in a show of blatent destructive effort, the Aegis had attempted to corrupt the very magic of the elements itself! Although they failed to twist the elements completely, The Aegis did manage to weaken the permanence of elemental enchantments on Istaria; an irreparable decay of the effects of magical infusion into physical items had begun.

The scholars concluded that The Aegis did not fully understand the forces they were meddling with, since Primal magic - the most raw form of magic from which all elements are derived - remained unaffected. The Elders of both factions agreed that a massive offensive must be launched to dismantle the Aegis' research facilities and eliminate those agents who lead the Aegis' research. Overconfidence would be the demise of those agents, the Elders agreed, since they likely would not share their knowledge with others within the Aegis. After all, monopolizing knowledge was a source of power, control, and advancement within the Aegis... at least, this is what the Elders hoped.

As we know, prideful wounds do not heal readily among Dragons... so with the most immediate threat abated the Lunus scholars, content with this plan of action and unaffected by the changes in the world around them, ceased further research into the matter. The Lunus would spearhead counter-offensive efforts to swiftly lay waste to the responsible facilities and scientists within the Eastern and Western Blight.

Although outraged, Helian scholars could do nothing to sway their Lunus counterparts. The Helian would be forced to work alone to develop a means of harnessing Primal magic to reverse the process... to find a way to aid the Naka, who would feel the brunt of the elemental deterioration.

The Lunus claim to not need or want the help of the Naka in their warmaking, but remain honorbound to reward those who aid their efforts. Dragons and Bipeds alike should speak with <Name> in Dralk to learn how they may do their part in this new round of conflict with the Aegis.

Abandoned by the Lunus scholars, the Helian have reached out to the Naka for assistance in finding a remedy to the decay of non-primal enchantments. Although masters of Primal magics, the Healian recognize that the younger races of Istaria have become experts in the individual elements. Perhaps by pooling their knowledge and expertise, they may find the key to unlocking a remedy for this devastating magical decay...
    -----------------------------------------------

During the conflict, players will begin encountering new abilities employed by the Aegis in combat which sacrifice direct damage to (only slightly please) damage equipped items.

The ability to repair magically-enchanted gear by infusing it with pure Primal magic needs to be researched via study of large volumes of innately magical resources - especially raw, blighted and processed gems, wisp essence, azulyte crystals, etc. Metals, stone, cloth, leather and wood would be needed in slightly lower quantities, but must still be provided (perhaps as actual finished tools, weapons and armor?) to be experimented upon by the Helian scholars.

After the conflict is over, the learned ability may be used by both factions of Dragons; the Lunus would reluctantly agree in principle to learn and perform the ability in return for the Naka's undeniable impact on the conflict.

...braindump complete. Maybe now my mind will let me get some work done. Feel free to post your thoughts, positive and critical - there's no such thing as an idea that's completely refined.

- Steele
    Last edited by Steele; September 28th, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

If folks like it I'll post it as a seperate thread for Dev review.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

True story, I swear!
    I don't know what you're talking about.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

ROFL! Nice sig, bro.

Thread Information