Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk in the Online Channels

Default Re: Talk in the Online Channels

I really don't like all that mushy stuff either.. the last time I logged in, a bunch of mud-rolling, hugging, kissing, trout-throwing was going on and it lasted forever. Uhg..

For the most part I just stay silent when stupid stuff like this happens, or exit the chat. But when this happens ALL THE TIME, you begin to question others' sanity.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

An interesting thread to come back from vacation to read

Comment on 'furries'

Yes, I used to hang with those crowds, after a while I came to realize there were two sides of the fence to every 'clique' group and a bunch that I was with were on the 'not so PG13' side.

Many of the artists were very good at what they did, but weren't all there socially. I have attended several conventions that centered just on that genre (Confurence comes to mind). I have a lot of art that isn't PG13 either, because it's easier to fantasize anthropomorphic characters in rather uncompromising positions (Just look at Kumu's ex-SIG artwork). Unfortunately the 'furry' crowd I hung out with were of the mentally deranged type (seriously, I kid you not) but there are many others that make a career out of it and do a very good job at it, and have a normal life.

Comment on PG13 and beyond in open chat:

I have seen nothing much more than *nuzzles* and *hugs* and a few wet slurping kisses from dragons and peds, haven't seen anything that would be taken for "suggestive" that would go to "R" or "X" rating.

"Thanks, Soars. Your over the top, rather rude in my opinion, proves my point. I didn't see Hoberton's original post with having anything to do with "cybering" in the least. Obviously you did."

Jasmeen, are you hiding under a rock? Head in the sand? EVERY MMORPG has "beyond the hugging and kissing" aka cybering. I read the same thing in Hoberton's OP. There is "hugging and kissing" greetings, and then there are discussions well left to private channels. The only reason the OP topic exists is that there is nothing wrong with hugs and nuzzles (and a few kisses) but if the OP needed to post this, he is meaning "something else" other than that, which usually leads to "suggestive" double entendre speak that can pass for PG13 but can be perverted into something much more.

What is rude about mentioning the obvious?

you tell me... what's beyond "Hugging and Kissing" that I can't post here or be moderated?
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

I dislike the "warm fuzzies" for a different reason. I think it detracts from the overall atmosphere of what the world of Istaria is supposed to be: A dangerous place under attack from the Withered Aegis. But I guess the only way to change this would be for the place to actually become dangerous -- which it's not, at least not right now.

"I need to go cut down some silk plants, folks, so tra la la, I'm off to the silk field," says SweetieGoo the Weaver.

"But Sweetie Goo, there are horrible monsters all over," says Rex the Wonder Warrior.

"Oh, that's OK, I've go a rating of 250 and I'm indestructible in my ironsilk undies. Tra la!"

Ugh
    Last edited by Landowyn; September 28th, 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: cause I can't speel or tipe
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

I don't really agree with that, as it runs into one of the problems we had in an RP channel I use to be in. Something grim and terrible always going on and every charater was depressed beyond reason to a point they should have gone insane... which never happened.

Even though the world SHOULD be like this though [and yes added WA attacks would help!] ... I still disagree, there will always be the refuge of a tavern where people will gather to forget the woes. I think Channels better suit this.

Just because the world is grim and terrible doesn't mean the denizens can't find some way to be happy. Those little moments are about the only time in a grim world they can truely enjoy themselves! And one way to gain hope to fight the WA!

Bleh I dunno, don't buy that arguement though. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin View Post
    I don't really agree with that, as it runs into one of the problems we had in an RP channel I use to be in. Something grim and terrible always going on and every charater was depressed beyond reason to a point they should have gone insane... which never happened.
    Yes, this can get old.. But then again, I would much rather be involved in a grim/dramatic and interesting storyline than rolling in mud and nuzzling all day.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Sitting in a tavern and drowning your sorrows in song and hugs should be the desert, not the main course. Devastating attacks on towns, destruction of player crafted buildings (including all those ugly silos) would put the fear of the Aegis in everyone, methinks. At least for those who live on the frontier. I remember portaling into Harro of Morning Light, and running smack dab into the Avatar of Pain and running my scared little butt off, even when battle prepared. Give me a real GAME... not all this luvvy dovey crud.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks

Quote Originally Posted by Landowyn View Post
    Give me a real GAME... not all this luvvy dovey crud.
    Aww.... Somebody needs a hug! </gir>

Devastating attacks on towns, destruction of player crafted buildings (including all those ugly silos) would put the fear of the Aegis in everyone, methinks.
    Have you built a plot? Do you know how much work goes into one? If a single Stone Wall on my plot were even damaged, I'd cancel my account like that *snaps fingers*. It's just do much work to think of doing again. Destroying plots is akin to permadeath of characters. You don't destroy something that someone put YEARS of effort into and then expect them to be happy about it.

Just look at the opinions of the Unity folks for a snapshot of what happens when people lose all of their plot or character work. "I won't come back unless I get my charater/plot!"

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    Have you built a plot? Do you know how much work goes into one? If a single Stone Wall on my plot were even damaged, I'd cancel my account like that *snaps fingers*. It's just do much work to think of doing again. Destroying plots is akin to permadeath of characters. You don't destroy something that someone put YEARS of effort into and then expect them to be happy about it.

Just look at the opinions of the Unity folks for a snapshot of what happens when people lose all of their plot or character work. "I won't come back unless I get my charater/plot!"
    Oy vey, especially when one is working on t6 structures. I , for one, agree wholeheartedly, I do not want to see ANY destruction of ANYONES plots.

Hehe, this stuff is not limited to furries. My sslik has now had a couple of very.. interesting and unusual rollplay relationships with a dragon and another sslik that went well beyond the normal scope of things. Though this took place in both private and /say, and never in a public chat. I have to say it was very entertaining though.

I have built and rebuilt several plots, and my current is 95x95, so it has quite a few structures on it. So what? Partially damaged structures might offer and new opportunity for building. Perhaps a repair skill.

You build a house next to tons violent undead creatures (Aughundell Battlefield comes to mind here) and should expect some damage. Sounds like you want the adventure without the risk if you build in a place that. Oh, yeah, I think permadeath is a pretty good idea too, as long as there is the possibility of "heirs" in your family tree.

Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks

I have built and rebuilt several plots, and my current is 95x95, so it has quite a few structures on it. So what? Partially damaged structures might offer and new opportunity for building. Perhaps a repair skill.

You build a house next to tons violent undead creatures (Aughundell Battlefield comes to mind here) and should expect some damage. Sounds like you want the adventure without the risk if you build in a place that. Oh, yeah, I think permadeath is a pretty good idea too, as long as there is the possibility of "heirs" in your family tree.
    Good for you. I am glad that you have a so what attitude on the damage to plots. I am dead set against it. Too much time, yes, time is valuable, for some of us. I would honestly hate to see my t6 buildings go by the wayside in the form of damages from the mobs. With that said, I can see use repair being done on buildings. Add x amount of resources to compensate for the use of said buildings.

Remember Hoard Leak? How people could never get ahead because their hoard was constantly draining away? What you are suggesting is "Plot Leak". Why even bother building a structure if, ten minutes after you log off, some mob comes along and beats on it for 6 hours? Since your plot is in the middle of no where, no one is going to come along and kill it. The next time you log back in your plot is in ruin. Can you honestly say that you wouldn't care if your 95x95 plot was burned to the ground every 2 weeks? Or even every month? Or even every 6 months? How long did it take you to build that thing... or did your guild do all the work for you, so you don't realize just how long it takes?

Would that be fun for you?

I can answer that. It might be fun the first time it happened. You'd gather together your guild and do a massive rebuilding project. WOOT! That would be fun. Course, a week later the same thing happens again. This time only half as many people show up. A week after that when it happens, only your best buddy in the game shows up. Cause for most people that isn't fun, that's yet more boring grind. Drudgery. You are just fighting a static game mechanic over and over again. Fuuuuuuun.

Have you tried to get a group together to kill a blight anchor? It can't be done anymore. No one comes. They don't care anymore. Cause they are fighting a static unchanging macro script, and they know it. Same thing. Same idea. Same useless boring grind.
    Last edited by gopher65; September 28th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

Maybe it doesnt have so much with the topic to do,but why are most people using cat-avatars here ?

I had, at one time, 23 cats in real life. All strays that seemed to have found me. Over the years, most have passed on due to old age complications. I now have 7 cats left. I have my signature set up simply because I adore cats.

All built 100 percent by me. No guild.

Do you remember when the WA "inhabited" Aughundell for a week or two? The same thing happened in Selen. It was great fun. And yes, I remember hoard leak as well.

Sounds to me like you folks want a "dead" game with little more than plot construction and touchy-feely live chat. Sounds a bit like "A Tale in the Desert" with a few random mobs that are easily avoided. I'd rather have a real game.

Perhaps the failure of the community to deal with blight anchors is symptomatic of what this game has become, an exercise in grinding to build as many silos as you can in the space provided.

Remember Hoard Leak? How people could never get ahead because their hoard was constantly draining away? What you are suggesting is "Plot Leak". Why even bother building a structure if, ten minutes after you log off, some mob comes along and beats on it for 6 hours? Since your plot is in the middle of no where, no one is going to come along and kill it. The next time you log back in your plot is in ruin. Can you honestly say that you wouldn't care if your 95x95 plot was burned to the ground every 2 weeks? Or even every month? Or even every 6 months? How long did it take you to build that thing... or did your guild do all the work for you, so you don't realize just how long it takes?

Would that be fun for you?

I can answer that. It might be fun the first time it happened. You'd gather together your guild and do a massive rebuilding project. WOOT! That would be fun. Course, a week later the same thing happens again. This time only half as many people show up. A week after that when it happens, only your best buddy in the game shows up. Cause for most people that isn't fun, that's yet more boring grind. Drudgery. You are just fighting a static game mechanic over and over again. Fuuuuuuun.

Have you tried to get a group together to kill a blight anchor? It can't be done anymore. No one comes. They don't care anymore. Cause they are fighting a static unchanging macro script, and they know it. Same thing. Same idea. Same useless boring grind.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks

All built 100 percent by me. No guild.

Do you remember when the WA "inhabited" Aughundell for a week or two? The same thing happened in Selen. It was great fun. And yes, I remember hoard leak as well.

Sounds to me like you folks want a "dead" game with little more than plot construction and touchy-feely live chat. Sounds a bit like "A Tale in the Desert" with a few random mobs that are easily avoided. I'd rather have a real game.

Perhaps the failure of the community to deal with blight anchors is symptomatic of what this game has become, an exercise in grinding to build as many silos as you can in the space provided.
    Sure! I do have a lot of silos. So what? I use every single one of them to help me in my endeavor to build my t6 buildings. Nothing at all wrong with that, I mean, afterall, they put the silos in for a reason.

Me? Want a *dead* game? Heck no! But, you see, my playstyle is one of building. Thats ALL I thoroughly enjoy, and you know what? There is NOTHING wrong with that. Each persons play style is different and that doesn't make their game play wrong. So, at this point in time, I propose that we simply agree to disagree, and leave it at that. You play the game you want, and I will do the same. We aren't here to judge each others play styles or what makes us happy in the long run, eh?

Lando... people get pissed when you take stuff they've built and outright destroy it - it feels like a power out of their control is reversing their time investment. There are no XP penalties in HZ for exactly the same reason; there should be no plot destruction.

Instead of setting folks' hard work aflame outright... why not do something with area-based penalties to crafting skill while the area is blighted? Penalties to casting skill, melee skill should be possible too - the precedent is already there via the implementation of area-based bonuses.

Change the color of water fountains from blue to green. Apply a brown, dead-looking skin to the tall shrubs. Turn the trees leafless and bare - the models already exist in-game. Take ALL of the beauty that players have created and temporarily suck it away until the Blight is repelled.

Folks will get ticked, but their anger will be directed where you want it: the Withered Aegis. It reminds me of that scene from Spaceballs where the Princess has a close call with a laser rifle. Her reaction? "He shot my HAIR!!" and then she proceeds to open up an unbelievably funny can of whoopass.

Yes, it probably means more graphical texture development or reskinning to create "new" structures, but that's still easier than writing (and DEBUGGING) an asston of code for partial structure destruction, complete with %damage, etc. etc.

That's just one idea off the top of my head... I'm sure many folks can come up with many others. The idea here is make it a real threat, make it worth repelling, but stay true to one of the core tenets of the game: above all else, it's supposed to be fun.
    Last edited by Steele; September 29th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Hmm, I remember when towns were invaded, this used to happen. But they just killed off all the NPC's not destroyed buildings. I loved that stuff. I would have to say that building destruction wouldn't work very well, since everyone can't be there to defend their property 24 hours.

As for the blight anchors, me and guild killed lots. I don't know what you are calling failure?

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post

As for the blight anchors, me and guild killed lots. I don't know what you are calling failure?
    Those blight anchors in the silk fields across from Old Oaks have been there forever. They should do something (invade Old Oaks? Pummel South Gate) or, at the very least, build some silos of their own and store all that silk Heck, they don't even "blight" the stuff.

It's all so meaningless ... maybe we should just let the builders fill the countryside with silos ... silos, silos everywhere as far as the eye can see.
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks

Thread Information