Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IGN Interview with Rick Simmons and Jason Murdick

Default IGN Interview with Rick Simmons and Jason Murdick

October 4th, 2007

IGN posted today on their RPG Vault site a new interview with Rick Simmons and Jason Murdick, talking about Virtrium's acquisition of Horizons, Empire of Istaria. Many things are discussed, including future direction for the game, focus on the community, and even a hint about a possible new fall festival!

Check it out!

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/824/824529p1.html

-Menkure

Default Re: IGN Interview with Rick Simmons and Jason Murdick

Quoted from Interview

"Another notable element is the title's comprehensive crafting system. Skilled practitioners can fashion a broad range of weapons such as swords, axes, maces, daggers, bows and more by combining various components. For example, a knife is made by joining a blade plus a hilt, with greater proficiency affording more options. As well, a character who has mastered the appropriate techniques can add diverse runes, fire, visual effects and decorations like tassels."

It says that right in the interview.....Now I know I play a dragon but I think I would notice if that was in game.

Bah I noticed this too. Anyone see anything wrong with this quote?

"when it was announced that EI Interactive had acquired it from Tulga Games. Having followed Horizons since the day it was first announced, we were eager to know about the deal and what it would mean for the player community, so we President Rick Simmons and Lead Designer Jason Murdick"
    Last edited by Nayuaka; October 4th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Note that quote is NOT part of the interview, but part of the introduction to the interview written by the editor, Jonric. I think we all would have noticed if that was in.

I know. I was basically saying that the introduction needed to get it's facts strait. I mean people will read that AND the interview yes?
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Well, hopefully IGN will get a correction up quickly...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

If I had a tassle on my tools I'd just get distracted and play with it all the time

Still its good to see press, hopefully they will go in and edit a few of the errors, overall it was a pretty normal pro-marketing interview

When it comes to MMOs actions always speak louder than words.
    "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice." Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

It is sad that all of IGN (the board I moderate) is blocked from work

I will have to read the interview when I get home. (blasted firewall)

Hope there is some good stuff in it
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Good interview, but I'm kinda worried about Unity players... one of them said that they "currently have no immediate plans of adding any shards" ... I wonder if they mean *new* shards, or if they mean a 4th Shard Replacement for Unity....

I'm not a Unity player myself, but that doesn't that I don't feel for them... I know how long and hard I worked on my character, it would suck if I suddenly lose him...

not a bad interview!
    I'm slightly concerned by that last screenshot, though. Just WHAT is that biped looking for, and why is he sniffing the dragon's rear end??
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Being the player of the aforementioned biped, I can tell you that you REALLY don't want to know what I'd just stepped in.

I am happy to see them saying the Fall festival is returning and that a new one is coming along with it. Why it had to be those stingy Dwarves I will never know.

LOL, I caught the same screwups...

As well, a character who has mastered the appropriate techniques can add diverse runes, fire, visual effects and decorations like tassels.

So if this guy is writing an intro for the game... shouldn't he at least be, oh I don't know, ACCURATE?! (Hey! I remember tassels! Vaporware from AE days!)

...when it was announced that EI Interactive had acquired it from Tulga Games.

Whoops. Virtrium Who?

Horizons is definitely focused on dragons and crafting. We should probably change the name to DragonCraft Online,

ROFL, the man's honest! All for the name change? Let's have a poll!!

...add keg-shaped cargo disks filled with beer.

Woot!! Yeah Rick!

Overall, agreed, good interview.

Offhand Unity thought: check me on this... if all Unity players weighed in on the couple of threads and polls a while back, there's a total of 30-40 out there? I wouldn't want my own unpopulated shard at those numbers, and Virtrium can't afford the hardware. (I mean, let's face it, Chaos shard barely runs on the stripped down hardware it's on. <Spawn system>)
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

That last screenshot needs a new caption! What comes to your mind?

Saris: "Are you SURE this is how I can get my armor back? I always thought hoarded items were gone forever."

hahahahahha... YES!! That's the quote. I love it!

And the dragon's smirky grin just adds to it!

Nice interview.

While I like the first screen shot, "View from lair of Chiconis", it must be a bug, as my dragon can run through that "window" and appear on the other side of rock. I'd love for that feature to be added to PC lairs.

Oh, and the 2 dragon crafting screenshots are nice. Now to see my dragon stand on his hindlegs and craft like that, instead of digging at a machine. I'll need to check my override directory.

Some chambers provide storage while others contain machines used in crafting - and some are there just to impress with their lava flows and massive gleaming crystals.massive gleaming crystals.
    I would like to see more of these massive crystals (aka as fluff).

create massive salt rock fields
    Yes, Yes! . . . . Rock Salt Golems! (really, am serious as the "bonus" race of golems).
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

good interview,i thought VI came over well.....
    Just hope that they sort Unity out sooner rather than later...the fact they can`easily expand existing server`s ` sort of implied we will end up on one of the US servers....also nothing about Vista that i noticed....that would go a large step to increase the flow of old players and new ones.
    All alone in the dark

Chaos..Morrtoc
    Unity..Brainbasher(MorrBasher on Chaos)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaraiden View Post
    Yes, Yes! . . . . Rock Salt Golems! (really, am serious as the "bonus" race of golems).
    If they make Salt Rock Golems, then they have to make Banana Treants too!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    split banana treants!!! that could be a conf resource.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    **takes Fridlekh's stash of catnip and hides it**

-Menkure

Thread Information