Thread: ok Ill go way off off topic lol

Default ok Ill go way off off topic lol

I'm redoing ,my bathroom , the tile i want for my shower surround is like 900 buck for it, but I found some vinyl flooring that is close to it, what I'm wondering if i use the vinyl on the backer board and the cement type drywall stuff , will the vinyl work , if i rtv the seams really good and spar varnish over the vinyl?
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

Default Re: ok Ill go way off off topic lol

We had our bathtub remade over, with the vinyl walls and glass doors. I wouldnt suggest you go the method that your describing. We were advised against it, thats why we went with a company that had the experience to do what we needed to have done, without creating problems afterwards, doing it the way you wish to. If that makes sense.

Oh and another thing, it could end up costing you lots more when and if the flooring fails on you. ;(

well i see your point but i think back that Marsh_dog had his water and food bowl's in the same place for 9 years and when a 165 pound dog drinks he spills alot of water so that area of the floor was wet 9 years w/ nothing protecting it , and a shower side wall should be exposed to a lot less water, you know me I'm cheap.

Boy, that's off topic!

Uh. I'm not sure how non-porous the vinyl flooring is, how well it will hold up to cleaning agents, or what hot water does to it. You might have problems with water seeping behind it and cleaners might cause it to melt.

Varnish won't stick very well to the vinyl because its too slick.

I suggest either getting cheaper tile or looking at one of those fiberglass pre-fab shower stalls. Also consider a 2 or 3-sided glass stall or a curtain. Whatever you do, make sure it's designed to get wet a lot. Mold sucks.

If you are doing linoleum, which several people I have met called vinyl, it should be, in and of itself, completely waterproof if applied correctly. Usually vinyl is applied to a thin plywood substrate (usually 1/8" - 1/4" mahogany veneered) with the seems sealed as to remove all possible undulations in the substrate. Then an adhesive is applied to the substrate to apply the vinyl to.

It is definitely not suggested to use vinyl flooring to be adhered to the walls of a shower stall, nor up a wall more then perhaps 6" or so, for that old fashioned molded flooring affect. As far as a non shower/tub installation... I would suggest to either put actual tiles up, and in all actuality, $900 isn't much for some decent tile, or put up some nice quality wainscoting...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I live in a very old house and have a strange shower area (think it used to be a closet) but it has linoleum on the floor and a vinyl wallpaper (they told me it was special shower wallpaper, because when I first saw it I thought it was kind of strange, lol). It is all very waterproof, not moulded or such. And big pro for a little shower it's much warmer to the feel than tiles. You could have a look for that.
    Anyway, good luck!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

ok great all thanks for the insite and yes im doing linoleum but as you say just call it vinly i think with the cement backer that im putting up and sealing the smeams i should not run into problems , im thinking of hot sealing the edges and sides to form the shape , but might run into bubbles , but with material that think should not be a cause for consern, thanks again for the infos
    Andy.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

hey there is a chemical spill a mile from me!!
    my small town of melvindale mich is being partially evacuated (including 2 skewls), due to hydrochloric acid spilling into a containment pool about a mile from my house.
    a major road, which i was on not 2 hours ago, is closed and peeps have been bussed to a nearby ice arena and college.
    my *** daughter is at the ice arena and her mom just called me in a rush to go get her.
    add to that we are expecting rain soon.....

so if you don't hear from me tonight, well.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

in case you want to live vicariously.....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14349521/detail.html
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information