Thread: Mod Hosting Suggestion..

Default Mod Hosting Suggestion..

One thing I have noticed, is that some of the mods used by other players are not easy to track down, some links are broken, some threads are old and have the wrong information. And it made me wonder, why didnt anyone suggest before about hosting all the most used mods in one place, so they will be easier for everyone to get hold of. Say they had to reinstall HZ, or a patch cleared mods they used before, but they no longer had the installer..

Ive got a ton of webspace available, and I am offering to host (with permission from the creators) all the most used mods such as: the MapPack, the White T&C, the OriginalAncient Size mod and so on. To make it that much easier for new players and old returning players alike to find them.

What do you guys think of this? Good idea? Bad idea? Im just looking for feedback and suggestions.

Default Re: Mod Hosting Suggestion..

Blue used to provide this service.. but as he has been quite aloof as of late.. these files were in peril as the site was not being maintained.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I got most of the mods I used, from other players over MSN or from the links that work, and I was tempted to just upload them, since a few people that I have gotten into the game, can just get them straight from myself without the hassle of rooting for them. I was thinking of just hosting them outright, with a simple webpage for each mod detailing install instructions or something. Even if others are hosting them.. whats the harm in providing a download mirror, esp since my host is quiet nippy.

I can host them on bristugo.com. The question is, who, among the modders, is still around?

I think a site for all the mods is a great idea!
    I have had trouble finding some myself, and often find links broken. Would be nice to have a "one stop shop".

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrethorne View Post
    I think a site for all the mods is a great idea!
    I have had trouble finding some myself, and often find links broken. Would be nice to have a "one stop shop".
    /signed

Well, Cobal and Zexoin created all the mods that I am using. I dont know if Cobal is still playing since Unity was taken offline, but he had posted recently here.. so he probably still checks the forums on occasion.

Mirroring the mods on more then one download site, is actually not a bad idea either, what frustrates me the most, is that I cant download some of the mods I want i.e. the Original Ancient models, because the links are not working anymore. I know people who still have the packs, and I am going to get from them. What I might yet do, for myself (and others) convenience, is provide a single installer to install all the mods a user selects.. and a ZIP of all the individual mods and installer source for the untrusting. And host that instead.

Edit: Ill contact the mod authors and get their permission to host them and possibly bundle them into a single download to further help the masses.

I have mirrored several mods on my guild website download section.
    Feel free to get them.

=> http://dragonnoir.planetemu.net/inde...derby=news&p=1

PS: the website is in french only. Download button is called "Télécharger ce fichier".

If some authors prefer to have the link to their MODs removed, just send me a PM.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Thread Information