Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I have a question

Default Re: I have a question

Analogies are slippery ground and a poor defense for conceited views.

The Age of the Dragon is over. Drakul has fallen. The other races will not be treaded on, as humans once were. Dragons are welcome to their views, but do not expect such views to win you favor or rally defenders to your lairs.
    Durand - Elven Warrior of the Realm of Order

Quote Originally Posted by Durand View Post
    Analogies are slippery ground and a poor defense for conceited views.
    They weren't offered as a defense, just an explanation of how Dragons see the world, the two-legs, and each other. As for conceited, yah, that just about sums up Dragons in general. "You say that like it is a BAD thing, two-leg."

You try telling something like a highly intelligent, magic-using, fire-breathing, FLYING Tyrannosaurus Rex that it can't view itself with validated conceit, and see how far you get. :P

The Age of the Dragon is over. Drakul has fallen. The other races will not be treaded on, as humans once were. Dragons are welcome to their views, but do not expect such views to win you favor or rally defenders to your lairs.
    To two-legs, that may be your take on it. To Dragons, the Age of the Dragon is hardly over. As long as there are Dragons, it is STILL the "Age of the Dragon". Most of the stories that talk of "Age of Dragons" and "ending" come from two-leg points of view.

Diplomacy is the art of knowing your opponents better than they know themselves, and using your strengths against their weaknesses, but not in a way which puts them on the defensive. Dragon diplomacy (the biped version of the skill) would require someone with exceptional cunning. However, with such a vain and egotistical creature, you can with practice (assuming you could survive the mistakes) and succeed in getting exactly what you want out of Dragons. Stroke their egos, stroke their scales; know what they want and what they need, even to the individual level and, just like any other sentient creature, you will find it easy to work with them and get them to do your bidding.

It even works that way in naka societies. You have to understand that Dragon mentality and culture is an alien one. When in Rome, you do as the Romans do or, more precisely, you do what the Romans expect you to do, if you wish to win their hearts and minds.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Ahem.

Age of the Dawn (7500 B.R.+)
    • 8000 B.R. Drulkar, the First Dragon, leads his people from the Realm of Fire into the world of Istaria on the Prime. His people are Spirits of Fire, but they assume physical forms, that of a Dragon, in order to reside in this world. In the walls of the Volcano of Dralk he digs his lair and builds the Gate of Embers. He begins teaching other Dragons about lairshaping and about the world. In time, they build their own lairs in the walls of the volcano and in nearby hills.
    Age of the gods (5000 B.R. to 7500 B.R.)
    • 7500 B.R. The People of Drulkar begin calling their new city, Dralk. Dragons thrive in their new world and their numbers multiply. Drulkar, the First Dragon, passes through the Gate of Embers and leaves Istaria forever. He closes the Gate behind him, telling his people that they must learn how to re-open it themselves to be worthy of following him.
    • 6102 B.R. Grand city of Palmyra is built amidst the tree-tops of Eastern Aradoth by the Dryad.
    • 6099 B.R. The Elves, a peaceful people living beneath the great Dryad trees alongside the Satyr, are instructed in the Teachings of Alyssa by the Dryad
    • 2252 B.R. Nelthorr disovers the Dwarves and Gnomes.
    • 2123 B.R. The Dwarven city of Aughundell is founded on the slopes of Mt.Grenaden; The first king of the Dwarves, Grathmar I, is crowned.
    • 2094 B.R. Gnomian city of Rachival is built with the assistance of their neighbors and friends to the south, the Dwarves

Ok...my input...this "timeline" merely states when dragons came into the world and the major events of each race..

It does not say that the world was barren when the dragons came nor does it imply they were the first inthe world...Dwarves are at home in the mines and caverns and could have easily remained hidden until the decided to build Aughendal

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus
    They weren't offered as a defense, just an explanation of how Dragons see the world, the two-legs, and each other. As for conceited, yah, that just about sums up Dragons in general. "You say that like it is a BAD thing, two-leg."

You try telling something like a highly intelligent, magic-using, fire-breathing, FLYING Tyrannosaurus Rex that it can't view itself with validated conceit, and see how far you get. :P
    Please lock this thread. With these statements it has now crossed over to Flame Bait.

Actually, I'm going to move it to the appropriate forum..

And as long as we can keep it in the context of the game (ie: lore), it should be okay.. just try not to take it beyond the context, as it can then be easily seen as baiting. Right now, it's not.. which is fine.

edit: since this is more lore based (it is about Dragons, but also about Bipeds in relation).. I'm moving it to the lore forum.. I think it fits there better.

Sorry for playing hot-potato with this one.

-Menkure
    Last edited by Menkure; November 2nd, 2007 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus View Post
    I wouldn't think of telling it how to behave. However, I am embarrassed for it when it acts in a manner unbecoming and unflattering to the great race it represents. I know highly intelligent, magic-using, fire-casting, flying others who don't find it necessary to parade their greatness about like a prize-winning gruok at Festival.

I also find it fascinating when one claims to speak for all. It makes me wonder how it can bear such a burden, for burden it must be. By its own word, it speaks truth. And to know its words to be true, why.. it must surely have sought each and all it represents to confirm their hearts and minds or risk speaking falsely!

Soni

Helians may regard bipeds as acceptable company, but they are never, ever seen as anything but lesser creatures. Dragons are superior in every way to bipeds, which is what qualifies them to lead and teach bipeds in the first place.
    I HATE it when people generalise. Because I agree with Soni in saying that:

I also find it fascinating when one claims to speak for all. It makes me wonder how it can bear such a burden, for burden it must be. By its own word, it speaks truth. And to know its words to be true, why.. it must surely have sought each and all it represents to confirm their hearts and minds or risk speaking falsely!
    So true! Its egotistical, foolish and inaccurate to generalise so harshly.

My hatchling Galde is a Helian, and not only does she enjoy the company of bipeds, she adores them. XD She lets them ride on her back, keeps trying to wear their clothes, and now she's after a mage's staff... just for the sake of being like a biped. Adores Ssliks, Dryads and elves especially. :P

*life is bad*
    Galde--"Fudge. I wish I was a Sslik, and I could make a house and not have any of these fiddly lair problems! ...hehe, and be a mage. And cook. And wear clothes." *dreams*

Thread Information