Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auth.NET Billing Discussion

Default Auth.NET Billing Discussion

Thread for discussing the new billing option.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...d.php?p=167576
    Last edited by Istaria CS; November 14th, 2007 at 11:46 PM.

Default Re: Auth.NET Billing Discussion

One word.... $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

What is Auth.NET?
    direct creditcard billing without paypall sounds nice but what, how etc?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

The way I see it...this is a very good thing. Only reason I am using PayPal is because is is (was) the only option at the time.

I'll keep my reasons private, but I detest PayPal and more so since eBay bought them out some time ago. In short...there are way TOO many scams out there that involve PayPal/eBay and even more spam messages.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Mabe should have provided a link to the announcement?
    Auth.NET Billing

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    What is Auth.NET?
    They are a payment processor. When ever you use your credit card at a restaurant, store, or online, the transaction is processed by a payment processor.

The new sign-up process (for those selecting Auth.NET instead of PayPal) will be to enter your credit card, address, ccv, etc. on the https://accounts.istaria.com site and click submit. You information will be submitted over an encrypted connection to Visa (through the Auth.NET payment processor).

Horizons CS

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    One word.... $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']
    That's a word, and one word at that?!? I'm never playing Scrabble with you!!

Rakku

That's a word, and one word at that?!? I'm never playing Scrabble with you!!
    It's a PHP statement that returns the remote (yours) address.

I.e. if you are connected to their WEB page and your IP is 123.456.789.012 they can

$CustomerIP = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

Will set CustomerIP to '123.456.789.012' (seen as string).

This IP will be usually stored in a database to provide a reference to make them able to trach who (what IP) did what on their site, to map that IP to your geographic location or to report it in case you try spoof / hack / whatever.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Thread for discussing the new billing option
    Ok, I can understand billing in multiple options was high priority... is the Unity characters transfer operation going to be one of the next? Or are there more "administrative" things first again?

<= Dragon rattling in the cold since almost 1 year.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Ok, I can understand billing in multiple options was high priority... is the Unity characters transfer operation going to be one of the next? Or are there more "administrative" things first again?

Something tells me the devs working on billing are not the devs working on the Unity transfer. At least, I hope that's the case

I too want the transfer to happen as soon as possible, but it's nice to see work like this being done. I've heard far too many bad stories about PayPal to be happy using them for a subscription. One-off payments sound safe, but anything involving regular transactions seems to be asking for trouble.

My concern is that I've never heard of Auth.NET before, but then I've heard of very few credit card processors, so I have to trust that VI picked someone reputable (not the ********-industry one they used before!).

Will this new system accept payments from Visa-debit cards? I seem to recall there's extra protection for debit cards in the UK.

Antonath

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    (not the ********-industry one they used before!)
    Just about every single credit card processing company on the planet is involved in **** in one form or another I'm afraid. Whether directly or indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    They are a payment processor. When ever you use your credit card at a restaurant, store, or online, the transaction is processed by a payment processor.

The new sign-up process (for those selecting Auth.NET instead of PayPal) will be to enter your credit card, address, ccv, etc. on the https://accounts.istaria.com site and click submit. You information will be submitted over an encrypted connection to Visa (through the Auth.NET payment processor).

Horizons CS

Ah, ok, thanks

So for changing from paypal to Auth.NET you first have to cancel the subscription and resub via Auth.NET?

Or did I miss some post about explaining (like the nice paypal for dummies from Vahrok)?

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

I for one, am thankful that I can drop paypal soon. Now, my question is this. Do I need to cancel my paypal accounts first? Then do the new system, when it goes live, of course? Oh, ya, and do I then need to do it twice given that my account was merged ? And, can I keep my gifted monthly subscription?
    Last edited by Peaches; November 15th, 2007 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post

As much as I feel for the Unity players, I don't think it's going to help to complain every time they do somthing that doesn't involve unity. As I have been told by someone I don't now recall in a similar instance in the past, in a similar situation, database admins can do one thing while the web people do another. Just because their DB admins are working on unity doesn't mean their web people can't work on billing.

* snuffles curiously*

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    As much as I feel for the Unity players, I don't think it's going to help to complain every time they do somthing that doesn't involve unity. As I have been told by someone I don't now recall in a similar instance in the past, in a similar situation, database admins can do one thing while the web people do another. Just because their DB admins are working on unity doesn't mean their web people can't work on billing.

Thank you for bringing up the Unity case again

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

At this point I don't care what billing system we use, my question would be how does this effect those currently using using PayPal? Can we just stay on that option or is it going to be dropped completly and we have to sign up again?

* snuffles curiously*

For those of us who chose the 6mo/1yr subs do we need to wait until our billing is (almost) over then switch over or will we be able to switch at will once the new method goes live?

does that mean in reverse, that it is possible to pay via paypal without having a credit card? (as it is possible here in Germany)
    I ask this for some Unitarian friends who have no card.

Anyway, I´ll be happy to cancel paypal as soon as AUTH. NET works.
    THX in advance for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    As much as I feel for the Unity players, I don't think it's going to help to complain every time they do somthing that doesn't involve unity. n As I have been told by someone I don't now recall in a similar instance in the past, in a similar situation, database admins can do one thing while the web people do another. Just because their DB admins are working on unity doesn't mean their web people can't work obilling.
    (off topic-sry^)

come on Callak- let us moan

as long as we moan- we are here

I don't know what the official answer will be, but having used Pay Pal for subscriptions in the past, you would need to call PayPal to cancel the re-occuring billing. This is not the same as cancelling your subscription! It's telling PayPal not to bill you anymore because you're moving to a different payment method, but continuing the service.

One for the FAQ: What happens to Grandfathered subscriptions if you switch?
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information