Thread: Another Gnomekindle Comment

Default Another Gnomekindle Comment

Hopefully this one won't get taken the wrong way.

1. All the quests from Mayor Clause start with 'Jolly 'Ole Nicolas', but his presents are 'Nicholas's Present'.

1a. There is either an extra H or a missing H in Nicolas/Nicholas. Unless someone different is giving the presents.

1b. Typically, when a word ends in S and you add the possessive 's to the end, it's only '. Nicholas' instead of Nicholas's. However, the last grammar/proofreading seminar I went to said Nicholas's could be correct depending on how you pronounce it. (Yes, English is a stupid language.) Soo...this may not be wrong.

1c. 'Ole. I'm not 100% certain on this either, but I don't believe Ole needs an apostrophe. I think it would only need an apostrophe if you were spelling it Ol'. Unless you meant something along the lines of Jolly Hole Nick...but I somehow doubt that.

2. JON: Destination Kion. Geleon doesn't take the springs you got from Standish.
    Last edited by Kala; December 23rd, 2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: I remembered what 2 was :)

Default Re: Another Gnomekindle Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    1c. 'Ole. I'm not 100% certain on this either, but I don't believe Ole needs an apostrophe. I think it would only need an apostrophe if you were spelling it Ol'. Unless you meant something along the lines of Jolly Hole Nick...but I somehow doubt that.

2. JON: Destination Kion. Geleon doesn't take the springs you got from Standish.
    For 1c.. 'Ole I have no Idea what it stands for, but O' or Ol' usually stands for Old... as in Jolly O' St. Nicholas... and such...

2. I noticed that the springs didn't get taken by him too.. and for some reason I still have a Cog in my inventory too... don't remember where I get that from, or who it was supposed to be delivered too, but it was related to the current quest set.. And no.. Im not a Tinkerer.. well not yet at least.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I like getting to keep items from quests :-) In this case, I just added the tinkering components to my stored inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    For 1c.. 'Ole I have no Idea what it stands for, but O' or Ol' usually stands for Old... as in Jolly O' St. Nicholas... and such...
    Yep, though I have seen it spelled Ole before...I have my doubts as to whether or not that's valid, as well, but I'm pretty certain 'Ole is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    and for some reason I still have a Cog in my inventory too... don't remember where I get that from, or who it was supposed to be delivered too, but it was related to the current quest set.. And no.. Im not a Tinkerer.. well not yet at least.
    Mayor Clause gave that to you as a present to keep.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Is that what it was given to me for.. I thought it was to fix a present, not for me to keep as one for myself...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

a: the apostrophe should denote the missing letter/s so Ol' ..
    b: if the noun is plural and possessive then you only use an apostrophy at the end .. since Nicholas is singular .. Nicholas's is actually correct
    (most people think the rule is just that it ends in S - but that is not actually right)

Quote Originally Posted by Valornyx View Post
    b: if the noun is plural and possessive then you only use an apostrophy at the end .. since Nicholas is singular .. Nicholas's is actually correct (most people think the rule is just that it ends in S - but that is not actually right)
    Then my teachers taught me incorrectly. I (among many others I know of) was taught that if it ends in S, it gets s', not s's.

Valornyx is correct. If you were to say "The nurses' union" meaning that union was owned by many individual nurses, then you would put just s'. Plural Possessive.

If you were to say "The nurse's coffee mug" meaning that one nurse owned a coffee mug, then you would use 's. Singular Possessive.

If a word ends in s, you would use es to indicate plural, s's to indicate singular possessive, and s' to indicate plural possessive.

At least that's how I was taught. But my teachers lied to me sometimes too:P. So who knows.
    Last edited by gopher65; December 25th, 2007 at 06:37 PM.

Yes, I was taught that if it were a plural possessive, it would end in s'. But if it were, say, something belonging to Chris, it would still be Chris'. English is so confusing...and that's coming from someone who grew up speaking it!

"English"? Since when do we speak English? We speak a weird conglomeration of many languages. Just remember the famous words of GWB: "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for Entrepreneur." I don't know what historians and linguists say, but personal I don't consider anything after 1850 to be English. I don't think our language has a name yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    But if it were, say, something belonging to Chris, it would still be Chris'.
    I understand what you're saying, but think about how you would verbalize that. "That mug is Chris'" is... weird. That mug is Chris? "OMG CHRIS TICKED OFF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER REAL GOOD THIS TIME AND IT USED ITS NOODLY APPENDAGE TO TURN HIM INTO A MUG!!!!!11eleven111!" Hehehehe that'd be funny. I never liked that jerk Chris. I'd say "That mug is Chris's" with a double s sound (or an es sound) at the end.

EDIT: If s' adds an extra s sound too, then words like "nurses'" turn into "nurseseseses" as we try to pronounce the correct number of s sounds.
    Last edited by gopher65; December 25th, 2007 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    Valornyx is correct. If you were to say "The nurses' union" meaning that union was owned by many individual nurses, then you would put just s'. Plural Possessive.
    Whew - I get to keep my job

It would be Tom Jones's car .. but the Joneses' car .. although it looks ugly - that is the rule. Insofar as the rules actually apply anymore.

*nods* Not arguing that you guys are wrong, just explaining what I was taught.

And 'Ole and Nicholas still need to be fixed, regardless.

Just so ya'll know, this won't be fixed until this content is used again, be it next year or not. Not going to take yet another delta to fix such minor issues. But once I'm back from holiday travel, I will make the changes.

That's fine....just so long as they get fixed sometime.

3. Sun Moon Head Scale description: "When the moon hits you're eye" - you're should be your.

4. Saris Head Scale description: Saris is not spelled Ssaris.

The gnomekindle outfits don't show up even on player characters.

Some players DON'T look good naked, seriously

Thread Information