Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So.. Who's doing the Son of Gigaroth runs now?

Default Re: So.. Who's doing the Son of Gigaroth runs now?

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    p.s How do I report this thread? I can't find the option for it.
    I dont think you can do the whole thread, but only individual posts.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

beauty of it is, they dont have to invis heal, others do, they dont..I dont...

in their absence I amde it my business to collect the goodies...did a great job, rarely wiped, could od it with 2-3 people...never needed to invis heal...

I gots skillz that pay billz. I hate to talk like that, I really do, but it illustrates my point.

its doable, wiout using that "game feature". I wouldnt laugh at someone who got good at a game, Id commend them, then compete or try to get as good, or throw in hte towel. But I wouldnt laugh or complain.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

... I can take on 2 blighted treants by myself in ranger mode. When I hunted with a dragon (who could 2 hit the things heh. I wonder what scales he had on?) we were taking 4 at a time with regular treant adds (plus oastics, but I took care of those since they are easier for rangers than dragons) without any danger or need of additional heals.

We were in a group with 5 other people even though we were hunting in different areas of the yew (for cross-res protection in case of a wipe basically), and when we briefly came together with the other 3 we were able to stand right in the centre of three busy spawn spots. Not only were we not overwhelmed, we were looking for more to kill.

I'd think that if you had 2 ancient dragons in crush/blight resistant scales plus 2 single classed clerics in crush resistant armour/jewelry (not healers. Need that group Dispirit and plate armour) you could take on the whole yew spawn... if they could make it all spawn in the same spot:P.

Just for the record on T5 blighted festival treants, I can personally solo 5 of them as Cleric 100 with Warrior 100/Mage 100/Druid 100/Spiritist 75 as my other schools.

When I wearing the right equipment, I can solo Flamentus, Lorgus, about 10 of their croonies, and Surtheim all at the same time.

flame resist, crush resist, blight resist, energy resist...its all about resists usually.

people, the game is fun, its a challenge, its also easy if you gear yourself to do one thing...very hard if you fight thornwoods while wearing all energy resist gear though...pick your battles.

Hard to beleive, but I dont doubt galems claim.

a good thing to remember...just cuz you cant do something, doesnt mean someone is cheatign if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by GalemThawn View Post
    Just for the record on T5 blighted festival treants, I can personally solo 5 of them as Cleric 100 with Warrior 100/Mage 100/Druid 100/Spiritist 75 as my other schools.

When I wearing the right equipment, I can solo Flamentus, Lorgus, about 10 of their croonies, and Surtheim all at the same time.
    That I would like to see. Assuming you're not doing the Burning Archer quest.

I've got very high rating friends who were in fire resist/fire ward equipment get wasted by Surheim. I was told that he was specifically created to be un-soloable unless you had the BA quest buff. *And you're claiming to be able to take him, the two named beetles, and 10 other beetles as well? *****

As to the Blighted Treants, I know that's possible, for a biped at least. Casius can take at least 3 Blighted Yew Treants at once, but I don't like blowing all that hoarde using Gold Shield. He can take 'em without GS, but then it gets really hairy and he has to have some luck.
    Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Casyle View Post
    That I would like to see. Assuming you're not doing the Burning Archer quest.

I've got very high rating friends who were in fire resist/fire ward equipment get wasted by Surheim. I was told that he was specifically created to be un-soloable unless you had the BA quest buff. *And you're claiming to be able to take him, the two named beetles, and 10 other beetles as well? *****
    I'm not doing the Burning Archer quest. I've never even used a bow.
    Out of about 20 fights, Surtheim has killed me only twice.

When properly equipped, my Flame Resistance is just over 2500 or 2600. The Giant Flame/Fire beetles barely touch me. Flamentus isn't a threat. Lorgus can land a few good hits, mostly his DoT. The only risk I have from Surtheim is really his Total Combustion, other than that, he's a light hitter.

The main thing is just to keep cleansed of any DoT and then heal up.
    Throw in a EP III (or do I use IV?) for 45hp per 6 seconds per beetle, and 10 beetles are just pumping me with a 450 heal every 6 seconds.

Decently easy battle.

However, in the same gear, if I run across Ravager, he may kill me in 2 shots.

This thread makes me wish I had room for a few more armour and jewelry sets. Maybe it is time to get rid of my crystal collection and bottle caps. If only collections stacked...

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    But I personally hate camping. It is the very anti-thesis of fun. "Alright peoples! Lets go have some fun by.... sitting on our butts for 8 straight hours and staring at a blank screen! Woot!"
    Yep. I loathe camping too. It's no fun and if there's competition at the spawn point, then you have to be alert at all times waiting for the mob. Hate it. Blech.

But if there's something I really, really want and there's no other way to get it (like, say, buying it from someone), I'll sit with a group of people I trust and wait it out every so often. I'm not going to kill myself over it though.

And if someone has the tolerance for camping, more power to them! It's just not my playstyle.

As for equipment... Good gear is important. In Horizons, where the good gear is relatively easy to get (I mean teched stuff, not SoG/Valk/ceremonial stuff), you should try to get it if you feel like you're dying alot.

In any other game though... I'd go for second best. It's almost as good and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by Kala; January 3rd, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: forgot to mention gear

Yeah surtheim is totally soloable. I dunno how many times Ive killed him on biped or dragon, but hes only killed me once on hte biped, never on the dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    And if someone has the tolerance for camping, more power to them! It's just not my playstyle.
    [emphasis mine]
    That's my point. There are people who have the tolerance for camping, and they do it. I'm not one of those people, but that's cool. I don't like FPS either, and I suck at RTS. I'm not going to enjoy every playstyle or every good game and I know it. My issue is that these are games, not work. We tolerate work, we play games because they are fun. We shouldn't have to tolerate games just because development companies are lazy.

And, even though these are the HZ forums, I'm not specifically talking about HZ. All of us here know the terrible trials and tribulations that the workers and owners (and players:P) of HZ have gone through over the years. But what about games like EQ, EQII, WoW, or LOTRO? Or for that matter Vanguard, which had 30 freaking million dollars pumped into it and ended up being turned out in a release almost as bad as HZ's! Why are they making games where players have to tolerate large parts of the gameplay? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Talking Re: So.. Who's doing the Son of Gigaroth runs now?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    Yeah surtheim is totally soloable. I dunno how many times Ive killed him on biped or dragon, but hes only killed me once on hte biped, never on the dragon.
    Ah. I may have to try playing with him someday then.

If I can get myself to hunt for flame resistance/ward techs, as well as the usual again heh heh

I don't know of anyone who has killed SURTHEIM (yeah, the big fire golem on fire Island) on a Dragon solo. Never witnessed it on Order, and a Dragon with a full Healer backup couldn't do it. I know; I was playing the Healer, and Kumu was playing the Dragon.

Unless there is some trick to dealing with his damage (and +400 flame resistance ain't it), he nearly aces both of us in the first 5-10 seconds.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

A number of dragons have solo'd Surtheim on Chaos. They can, I'm sure tell you much better than I can how they did it .

I can say, "cleanse is your friend."

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    A number of dragons have solo'd Surtheim on Chaos. They can, I'm sure tell you much better than I can how they did it .

I can say, "cleanse is your friend."
    All of my Healer's heals are teched with Cleanse, some of them multiples, because they were made prior to Cleanse being made one-tech-only-per-spell.

It still didn't matter.

So, unless they toned Surtheim down since that time, or there is a trick/hack/cheat involved, it wasn't possible.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcellus View Post
    All of my Healer's heals are teched with Cleanse, some of them multiples, because they were made prior to Cleanse being made one-tech-only-per-spell.

It still didn't matter.

So, unless they toned Surtheim down since that time, or there is a trick/hack/cheat involved, it wasn't possible.
    That's what I was told...

Gonna have to get some scales and go out there myself. I mentioned the claims in this thread and several friends.... err, let's just say scoffed.

So I'll have to see for ma'self I guess, unless someone wants to treat me to a show

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Again. Who is stopping you from forming your own group to go out and hunt those mobs? Why is it you can't manage to do this? No one has been willing to give me an answer on this so far. Those that do respond only say "but it's not fair that they won't give the rest of us a chance." This isn't really an answer to the question anyway, as they never say WHY it's impossible for them to go out and hunt those mobs as well.

As far as I can tell, the only thing stopping people is a dislike of competition, friendly or otherwise, and not enough desire for the objects in question.

If you don't want something badly enough to get off your rear and go hunt for it yourself, don't be surprised if people who ARE willing to hunt for it look at you with disdain when you start complaining about the unfairness of it all.

If you don't think these people are very skilled, then go prove them wrong.
    I see your points, but there are still some issues.

Point in fact is that there are only a few guilds with the strength to take epic mobs. If you are not a member of these guilds you are lucky to hear if a hunt is on, and even if there is your chances of getting an invite are slim to nil. Not many people are willing to change guild just to hunt epics, and trying to put together a group from the chat channels is fishing an empty sea. If you are not one of the more 'well known' players you will be lucky to even get a response half the time.

People lucky enough to belong to such a guild ask for groups in guild rather than publicise a hunt. This is because publicising a hunt gives you less chance of looting the very rare and devistating weapons and items that some mobs drop, and some circles at least go out of their way to keep an active hunt a secret to avoid competition.

There are chat channels on chaos that are specifically dedicated to organising epic hunts, but these are currently more or less inactive. People who can solo mobs solo them. people who can guild mobs, guild them. It is a monopoly that no one is willing to break because they have it all their own way. but then someone cries "but put together a group of yor own!"... easier said than done. Its not even a question of effort because no matter how much pleading and hand wringing (a third phrase also comes to mind) you still cant get a good group unless you already have the contacts. I have seen people patiently wait out spawns for days at a time only to have someone else with a bigger/better group arrive at the spawn, steal it, ninja kill it in 30 seconds before you can even get buffs up and then skip away with the loot.

On the point of mob camping, it is still happening; less so now that the spawn time has been jacked up, but its still prevalent. Some people find it acceptable, others do not. The point is that it shouldnt be a NECESSARY asset of gameplay because some selfish people will cyclicly kill every epic as soon as they spawn, and if you dont get there before them you have no chance at all, and when you do more often than not someone will start a flame war.

Camping is an issue twofold; first off is that a lot of players regard camping as cheating because camping a spawn(s) essentially prevents anyone else get a look in. Rather than an element of competition the entire idea of camping is to stop anyone else getting the spawn. If you are a fair minded person playing by these dirty tricks isnt an option, and to be frank, having to stoop to that level just to be able to hunt an epic is not palatable. There is a "nyah nyah i was here first!" attitude that hardly encourages cooperation and brotherly love. Second is that not everyone has time availiable to sit out a spawn all night or day trying to get the drop on these epic-ninja groups/guilds. People have jobs, people have to sleep, people have to PEE for crying out loud, and if you blink some other selfish git jumps in and nicks it! wheres that caffine!? i need to stay up all night trying to get the mob before THEY do!

Solution? take turns. yet again not as easy as said. No matter how often you suggest this these groups will say 'get the spawn before us'... and then immediatly camp every spawn site, thus preventing anyone getting the spawn first unless you have reactions like a jedi and can type faster than J.K Rowling on amphetamines. As said before, this is not such an issue today, but is still immensely frustrating. The little guy doesnt get a look in; epics are the ball parks of the big players. Basically there are now only a very small percentage of players who actually meet the requirements to hunt epics, and who can successfully get together a group that is outfitted to deal with them. If you are lucky and know the right people you might get an invite, but generally asking anywhere is a wasted effort. The vast majority of people wanting to hunt epics will not get the chance any time soon.
    Last edited by Melanth; August 17th, 2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: adding content
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

Join the chat channel... I think it's called 'Epic hunts' (i forget now, Ianneiros used to always be in it). Either way it always looks vaguely abandoned but there's usually a couple from my guild in it (Mythril Council), and on those occasions we bother to go epic hunt, will take anyone along usually. Heck I did my first epic hunt before I joined that guild, at the ripe old level of... 84 drag. Reklar completely ignored me luckily! I do admit that if we have enough guild members who want to hunt, then it won't get announced but 9 times out of 10 it will be asked in Dragon (maybe MP, dunno don't have that window open) if anyone wants to join.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I totally agree with you Melanth.

This prob does not exist on Blight and Order.
    Haven`t played on Chaos for a long time, I`m sad to hear it still exists on Chaos.

But I am tired of this discussion, so I`m not gonna jump in again.

We made a channel named, EpicBattles, I would recommend you to join this channel. We usually announce epic hunts here.

Currently I am nearly doing SoG at a daily base, perhaps /tell Dakoren or Krondel.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Thread Information