Thread: New Event Ideas

Default New Event Ideas

For a while now I have been mulling on some event ideas that the devs of Vitrium could take ideas from to further advance the storyline of a war against the Aegis. A lot of these ideas are inspired by the stories I have heard from older gamers of great events past such as the freeing of Feladan, freeing of the Satyrs, the end of the world event and also events from other games. It got me to wondering why we don’t have events like those anymore so I thought up some.

This post also contains a number of ideas for new mobs, new items and new areas for players to explore. Warning, some of these ideas are loftier than others but just remember it’s just a suggestion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whispers on the Wind

A strange calm has descended upon the frontier where the imperial forces and the Withered Aegis has been warring for over a year. The Aegis will not be driven from their positions yet they have made no recent attempts to claim new territory. Despite this brief respite, things look very grim for the Empire. A new enemy has appeared on the side of the Aegis and Lord-Commander Jatell has disappeared without a trace. Their only hope, strange new artifacts that have appeared around the world calling out to the gifted. Whether this power can be used for good or for ill remains to be seen.

Ideally this event would introduce a new mob, necromancers. The idea for necromancers in my mind would be a small humanoid mob capable of spawning new undead as it’s defense with few actual attacks of it’s own like a blight anchor. The difference between a necromancer and a blight anchor would be that necromancers can move from place to place, they would be able to spawn fewer mobs and could be taken out by a couple of well placed gold-rages. Drops for them would be just about the same as any undead and perhaps some new and/or very valuable items could be placed on them just for flavor

Why would I suggest that blight anchors that just about do the same thing be replaced by these guys? Because blight anchors spawn lots of very powerful mobs, are very hard to take down, drop nothing for those efforts and then respawn in the exact same spot a few moments later. It is impossible to get a group going to take blight anchors out for those reasons. Necromancers would be much more fun to deal with.

Going back to the event, At least three necromancers would stand around the monuments guarding them and trying to prevent the gifted from getting to them and rebuilding them for the sweet item and dire warning that the spirits of the monuments have to give them. This challenge would be available to all tiers of crafters and warriors too with the appropriate tier mobs and building material for the appropriate location in the world. Not every single one would have to be complete by the next event but it’s a good idea.

Betrayed!

Lord Commander Jatell has finally resurfaced but on the wrong side! While the gifted were distracted on the front lines and the new enemy Jatell took the time to make himself known in Tazoon bringing with him undead and demonic forces. Unprepared for the attack the citizens and government of Tazoon is forced to flee while Jatell continues to lead his army through the desert attacking various towns and cities from afar.

For all his arrogance and attitude, Jatell was quite unsuccessful at fighting off the undead hordes. In fact under his command the Withered Aegis has seemed to gain quite a bit of ground even with legions of gifted warriors at his disposal. Combine that with the fact that when the boss mobs such as Fafnir and Daknor drop orders that just happen to be in a partially destroyed condition makes the situation seem a bit suspicious to me. That led me to the conclusion that Jatell is either a complete moron or a traitor. The former seemed to be a bit of a boring option so I thought it would be interesting in terms of an event to think about what would happen if the latter was the truth.

This event could begin with an attack on all major cities at once not unlike the raids of days past. The only exception would be Tazoon and New Rachival, which have already fallen under Aegis control. The portals, shrines and NPCs could be disabled and the structures in both cities could be given a blighted or at least damaged look.

Since it is impossible, especially in this game to actually have waves upon waves of mobs marching across the landscape, the forces in the Tazoon area could be represented by several big and nasty boss mobs, one for each gate and the heart of the city. Each would be very difficult to defeat, with high HP and multiple debuffs/buffs but should be able to be beaten by the efforts of one well-organized group. In the interests of originality, one of the boss mobs could be a completely new mob. Perhaps one of those giant beast skeletons outside of Tazoon or in the ice next to Talon could be animated. The one in the center would be especially hard to defeat since he would be able to change his weaknesses every now and then using a resistance buff and different attacks to go along with it meaning that whatever group is engaged with it would have to adapt tactics right along with it. (Credit to my mate Kessedrian for this idea)

The whole purpose of the event would be to get at the, by now well known master of the invasion force located in an underground fortress hidden beneath the city.

Into the Dark

The necromancer Jatell and his cabal has underestimated the strength and resolve of the Gifted and the Empire to stand against his invasion. Forced to retreat under the cover of his forces, he collapses passage after passage to slow the gifted down. But the gifted are not so easily lost.

In this event while the war continues above, players will be presented with the challenge of digging their way into the underground fortress and into the new dungeon below, fighting their way through a level and digging their way down to the next level in pursuit of the necromancer Jatell. There will be the usual fare as well as new types of enemies to face as the players try to find their way in the maze like dungeon and many new types of armor and items are to be found.

Once the players reach the bottom they get to face Jatell himself, trapped like a rat. Unlike other necromancers he has powerful attacks of his own as well as the ability to summon more undead than the others. It is in this fight that the true nature of the unique items collected in the first event is revealed as his attacks would be deadly if not for said items which work in a similar fashion to the shimmering scale. Like the monster from the previous event Jatell is also capable of adapting buffs and tactics to the players attacks making him extremely difficult to defeat. Once the players succeed however they could receive some very unique items, weapons or armor, experience and/or money.

Counterattack

Jatell and most of his cabal now lie dead underneath the city of Tazoon while others escape to the east. The empire has already begun plans to retake and rebuild the city but the Withered Aegis has other plans

There is not much to say with this one. This would be a cleansing event similar to the Freeing of Feladan except with higher levels. For those not familiar with this event that will mean building to drain the blight from the area and turn it into a mob so that the players will be able to “kill� it. The enemy, including the boss mobs from “Betrayed�, will be trying to stop the players from building these devices by attacking the crafters so any crafters who are there will need someone to defend them.

During this time, some of the towns outside of Tazoon and New Rachival would come under attack by the retreating aegis forces as they make their way east and try to do as much "damage as possible"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have more ideas but they aren't ready for posting right now. Tell me what you think.

Isharae of The Ancients - Pet Saris Druid to Dracanaa
    Katarae - Lost dragoness of Order

Default Re: New Event Ideas

This issue has come up a few times in the most recent RP sessions on order.

Where is the war though? Can't there be a server wide event that a VI GM can host once a month or twice a week or something?

Something to the tune of something elaborate as above or just simply "Empire Intelligence agents have uncovered an attack plan of X place on X date/time." (for a few hours) We are calling all combat ready Istarians to come fight.

Just something to make it feel like there really is a war going on in the midst of this stalemate. We can't seem to win back the blighted lands and there is no new blight crops anywhere....

OT: I can't seem to find a blight anchor anywhere in Istaria... can someone let me know where I can find one? Shian has not seen one before and the one south of Old Oaks has dissappeared.

barring the fact some people would whine about the crafting gettign harder, Id like to see raids on towns like the AOP used to do.

Make this war hurt, make hunting common grounds virtually impossible until the finite # of undead is removed, same with crafting.

Make undead camp the spawn points ( shrines) that'd teach us a lesson;p

Unsceduled little events would keep people in their computer chair hoping to be on teh front line for greater glory against the undead.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Nice ideas Dracana. A good series of events could be made from that.

If tazoon presents a lag problem when you add in the underground cavern/dungeon, an alternate idea would be a teleporter to Jatells WA Camp, supposedly some place far east. Players would still have to repair/rebuild tunnels to the chamber.

These type events were what made the first year of Hz so fun and addicting. One time events that shaped the world, freed races to be playable. Very exciting. Portaling to the satyr islands used to be very scary. No map, dangerous mobs, tough goal. And a long run back if you wiped.

Here's to hoping Vitrium suceeds in bringing more events of that sort to Horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Something to the tune of something elaborate as above or just simply "Empire Intelligence agents have uncovered an attack plan of X place on X date/time." (for a few hours) We are calling all combat ready Istarians to come fight.
    If you think this is elaborate you should have seen the first version of what I wrote.

OT: I can't seem to find a blight anchor anywhere in Istaria... can someone let me know where I can find one? Shian has not seen one before and the one south of Old Oaks has dissappeared.
    They spawn and despawn at various points in that area. There is the spot you checked as one. Then there is north of the outpost in the silk clearing, directly west of the ogre spires and north of the shining essence in the northwest part of spiritous swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Nice ideas Dracana. A good series of events could be made from that.
    Thanks Guaran.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    If tazoon presents a lag problem when you add in the underground cavern/dungeon, an alternate idea would be a teleporter to Jatells WA Camp, supposedly some place far east. Players would still have to repair/rebuild tunnels to the chamber.
    Hmm I seemed to have completely missed mentioning that in my write up >.<

That was the idea, to have a teleport like the rift instead of a direct route into the dungeon. Tazoon is laggy enough without having a mega structure underneath it, especially if we would wanna see any good number of monsters in it.

Is Jatell supposed to go bad in official lore? Because I always see it around that he betrays us and joins the Aegis, lol. Or is it just a common thought..

Anyways, I've always mentioned that we needed events. Lovely ideas, Dracana, sounds like some more high level things I can get into.. *rubs paws together and cackles..*
    Looking for a "dentist" to fix Lunarya's blue teeth

Lunarya and Akenokoru on Chaos.
    Help make Evarus grow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarya View Post
    Is Jatell supposed to go bad in official lore?
    He is not so much as a bad guy, just someone who has "friends" with a lot of influence >.> Atleast that is what I got out of it. Personally, the thought of him betraying us and joining the WA never actually occur to me. I always thought of him to be the type of coward who would rather sent out his men to war and sit in the sidelines to watch than to get anywhere near the WA. Afterall, he is the Lord-Commander so he already has great "power" and has a comfy spot for himself within the Empire, so I don't know what would motivate him to give that up and join the enemy.(Or atleast motivate himself enough that he is willing to become undead himself. One would think he prefer to live for life is oh so precious) He doesn't really come across as a guy who lives for bloodshed but rather a naive person waaaaaaay over his head.
    That....and we are also assuming the WA would even want an incompetent commander like him to begin with They probably would want him to stay with the Empire in hopes that it would weaken any attempts at a counterstrike due to his inablilty to lead in the battle(when you have a weak leader, everyone suffers). I think Fafnir, Daknor, and Gruk would laugh themselves to death at the sheer thought of Jatell joining them as a leader with a group of monsters under his command. Oh, and after they are finish laughing, they would show Jatell how fast his health can hit to 0

That aside, I think it would be very interesting if he did turn against us, showing him being a moron was just an act and that is was all part of a brilliant well executed plan. At this point ANYTHING to get this battle going again would be helpful. Let the WA destroy Harro, let us have a huge counterstrike, whatever. This stalemate has gone on long enough.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Dracana your ideas are genius .
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarya View Post
    Is Jatell supposed to go bad in official lore? Because I always see it around that he betrays us and joins the Aegis, lol. Or is it just a common thought.
    As far as I know it's pretty much just a common thought. I have no idea what VI actually has planned for future events.

To me it was apparent to me upon the introduction of Fafnir that neither he, nor Daknor were the true leaders of this newest offensive since they were carrying around those orders that just happened to be destroyed. People on Chaos (dunno about order) were making a game of trying to make out what precisely they said and they seemed to not be of any strategic significance. Why would the aegis commanders destroy orders with no strategic significance unless they were trying to hide the identity of the person who wrote the orders. If it were just another Withered Aegis mob why would they care if the gift knew it's name or not?

That is how I came to the idea that maybe the whole offensive on the frontier is merely a distraction to draw the attention of the empire and the gifted away from the real threat. I personally thought that the idea of Jatell being a traitor who is much more competent and intelligent than he lets on would be more interesting than the story him simply being an idiot commander. That's my take on things anyway.

This issue has come up a few times in the most recent RP sessions on order.

Where is the war though? Can't there be a server wide event that a VI GM can host once a month or twice a week or something?

Just something to make it feel like there really is a war going on in the midst of this stalemate. We can't seem to win back the blighted lands and there is no new blight crops anywhere....

Back when Tulga had the game they had attacks in cities and such like you described. I went to one once and the lag was horrible. Frozen, hardly able to move...not fun

If they could fix it somehow it would be nice to see these return. As you mentioned, at the very least it would make it feel like Something is going on.
    'The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, ..., the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars' - Kerouac

Thread Information