Thread: Another Mimir Idea

Default Another Mimir Idea

While I was pulling a load of sandstone blocks for a friend, I had another of those moments of clarity. I usually put my dragon on auto pilot, point him in the general direction and read or watch TV, checking on my progress now and again. Last night I was watching the scenery and had this idea for bringing in more players to Horizons.

Instead of or in addition to the 15 day trial, let prospective new players come into the game with a maxed out Lunus or Helian dragon. I know this is possible as the GMs for EI did it.

Nothing they do in game would be for keeps IE no loot obtained would be transferable (attuned). But it would give them a great overview of what they can become.

Also it could be tied to the training prompts that pop up for a new player. Click this icon to attack. Click that icon to heal.

Again these ideas are not fully thought out but when I go to buy a new auto I take it for a test drive, I don’t just look at it and say wow that looks nice, and someday after I have paid for it I hope to drive it.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Default Re: Another Mimir Idea

Hmmm. I see it differently. Would be great to have a maxed out character of their choice. Not customizable, but it's only purpose would be to give an overview of the game to new players. Let's say that player would start on a new island, from where it cannot port out. Add there a few basic quests, some monsters, ressources and machines for craft. Those maxed out characters would be restricted to that specific island, where they can do what they want, and play for free, but with non-customizable character. Much like Ryzom did.
    That character would pop with every abilities hotkeyed and an enhanced tutorial on how to use them.

I'd look at it yet another way.

The cool thing about a grown up dragon is the ability to fly. A level 30 something adult would be a big draw.

Perhaps only allow it on Blight.

Speaking as a player who just purchased her first month's subscription after being drawn in by the 14-day free trial, here are my thoughts:

I actually wouldn't want to start out as an ancient. Horizons has a bit of a steeper learning curve than some other games I've played and there were moments where, had I not had a friend who was already an ancient dragon, and a guild full of helpful people, I would have been at my wits end more than once.

Starting with an ancient would be appealing, but having all the spells, abilities, crafting all at once could be a bit overwhelming.

That said, I want to fly more than anything, having a dragon to try out that can fly would be AMAZING in my opinion. Perhaps, a hatchling island with a lot of volcanic activity, lending updrafts and therefore allowing hatchlings to fly around for their first three leves (about how long it takes to run through the hatchie quests) then once they go to the mainland they'll be landbound again until their ROP.

Don't worry Amarante.... daddy will throw you off the cliff and yell "FLAP YOUR WINGS"

*evil grin*

I have mixed feelings about having someone get an uber character just to goof with, it, to me, would ruin the mystic of the game and the desire to achieve that. Maybe an invulnerable character that can't be seen by the mobs (no aggro) and allow the character to run around all of Istaria and see the different parts of the game.

hmmmm don't know.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

I really like Amarante's idea of a limited space where folks can just sample what flying is like. Maybe a old dragon trainer on Skaalkar lets you "ride on his back", directing him where to fly over Skaalkar, so you can get the feel of flying. He can limit it to stay over Skaalkar and only last five minutes, automatically going to land when the time is up. Neat concept, Amarante!

Thread Information